• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for Australian Rugby Union

• Thread starter Sydney Wallabies
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Do you think that it is likely the NZRU would accept that? I would say the chances are between slim and none, with none as the hot favourite.

Unfortunately this is correct. The Australian trait of allowing NZ teams to join our domestic comps (see: league, netball, soccer) is unlikely to be reciprocated.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Unfortunately this is correct. The Australian trait of allowing NZ teams to join our domestic comps (see: league, netball, soccer) is unlikely to be reciprocated.

Netball????

I think you'll find it was us who allowed you to join our league. :)

Besides, there already is a multi nation domestic rugby competition in rugby called the Super XV. The ITM Cup is very much a lower grade tournament these days that loses money by the truckload every year. I don't think it would be at all feasible for an Australian team to enter on that basis.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Here's an idea. Promote the game.

http://schoolstribune.com/lamentable-state-of-affairs-in-aussie-schools-rugby-p648-1.htm

SYDNEY, NSW (15/07/12) - In a fortnight that SRT has had a wealth of media releases, event advertisements, high resolution photos and almost anything we could ask for, at our disposal to cover the Coca-Cola Youth Weeks in South Africa, (courtesy of an officially appointed publicist), the administrators of schools rugby at the highest level in Australia have come across as a laughing stock comparatively. The contrast could not be more stark.

Just this past week David Campese (now resident in South Africa) lamented that 'if only Australia had an equivalent of the Craven Week'. Well, Campo, we do! The fact that you yourself seemingly did not know that the Australian National Schools Rugby Championships had just concluded, shows just how poorly these events were promoted to the general public.

In addition to the Australian Nationals Schools Rugby Championships, two Internationals (Australia Schools A' vs Tonga on Tuesday and then Australia Schools vs Tonga on Saturday) were played, yet, to the best of our knowledge, not a single media release was issued (certainly we have not received one, nor have we seen anything in the mainstream media).

The ASRU website, whilst showing the results, does not have any match reports, photos or anything that could be used by the media (assuming they would even take a look). Surely these events are of sufficient importance to warrant a dedicated effort to provide the media with releases to cover the events? And if these events are not considered important enough, then what is?

The mainstream media interest in rugby does not extend beyond the Wallabies and Super Rugby. Anything below that flies way below the radar, but that does not mean that those charged with marketing the game should give up! That is the very reason Schools Rugby Tribune came into existence. Yet, how does anyone expect the media to start covering schools rugby, unless the effort comes from those charged with promoting the game?

Super Rugby crowd attendance has a highly elastic correlation with the fortunes of teams. The Waratahs, a decade ago, attracted an average of around 34,000, now it barely gets 20,000.

The ARU / ASRU efforts (or lack thereof) in marketing the elite schools rugby events speaks of people that either no longer 'believe' in the cause, or alternatively are embracing the 'rah-rah' private school paradigm whereby rugby represents the elite in society.

One can expect and accept that private schools sports associations will do little to promote rugby, after all, rugby is not their 'raison d'être'. But surely the rugby authorities ought to?

Oh, just in case you wondered, Australia A defeated Tonga Schools by 29-5, and Australia beat Tonga by 70-13.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Establish a televised game venue for Brisbane (Ballymore) and Sydney (Concord/TG Millner when it is upgraded).

The match of the round in Bris Premier and Shute Shield is played there, with more or less permanent TV infrastructure in place, just plug the cameras and computers in and Bob's your uncle. Limit the farting around that ABC TV need to do to setup/pack up.

Match of the round to be played on 3pm Saturday. Also have games at the same venue on Friday night 7pm, and Sunday 3pm. First grade only on Friday night and Sunday arvo. Other grades play at home and away venues as per normal on Saturday's.

Gate money and concessionaire profits to be shared between the Clubs and the union.
Allow both clubs access to "VIP areas" to enable them to entertain their sponsors, and ability to put up limited sponsors signage.

Arrange with Fox or a FTA digital channel to show delayed coverage of the games into the rest of Aust.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have mentioned this option a couple of times, Hugh, I was living in SE Queensland back in the days when they had the match of the round on at Ballymore (every Friday night, IIRC).

Definitely, having a good location from the broadcaster's POV would be a great step forward.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting this thread popped up. I have gone through the pages and liked a lot of ideas only to realise some of these posts are years old!

How many or any of these ideas have come about since being discussed?

Great idea for a thread though!

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
I have mentioned this option a couple of times, Hugh, I was living in SE Queensland back in the days when they had the match of the round on at Ballymore (every Friday night, IIRC).

Definitely, having a good location from the broadcaster's POV would be a great step forward.

According to the Balmain boys, Leichardt oval is booked at 7pm for a number of weeks in a row. Has lights, has goalposts, has TV settings?? Could be a winner. Friday night, Saturday Arvo Sunday Arvo SS games live on the ABC, now that is a great weekend of rugby!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From @SuckerforRed via Twitter:

"We need to design stubby holders to fit plastic beer cups."

Primarily a Queensland problem to be addressed but a serious Australian Rugby problem seeking a solution none the less.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
From @SuckerforRed via Twitter:

"We need to design stubby holders to fit plastic beer cups."

Primarily a Queensland problem to be addressed but a serious Australian Rugby problem seeking a solution none the less.

These ones with the angled sides do a great job.

Perhaps its time for GAGR version of them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381656031802.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381656031802.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 249

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Recently I've attended several lectures where the speakers have open with words to the effect of 'I'm a long suffering Essendon supporter, or I'm a mad keen Cats supporter' . In the public eye, politicians and celebrities are keen to reveal which AFL they support. For example, Gillard is a Western Bulldogs supporter, David Koche is a Port Adelaide supporter and they often mention that they are.

When was the last time we heard a well known person who isn't a former player mention they support the Reds, Tahs, Wallabies etc.

Currently, the Prime minister, Federal Treasurer, the new Governor General are rugby supporters. I don't recall Abbott saying 'go Tahs' but I've heard him lend the Manly Sea Eagles support, perhaps it's an electorate thing.

My idea is for the ARU to encourage well known figures to publicly support their rugby teams, not in a staged unnatural way, but genuine support. It's free advertising and may stop rugby from being the 'invisible code'

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Recently I've attended several lectures where the speakers have open with words to the effect of 'I'm a long suffering Essendon supporter, or I'm a mad keen Cats supporter' . In the public eye, politicians and celebrities are keen to reveal which AFL they support. For example, Gillard is a Western Bulldogs supporter, David Koche is a Port Adelaide supporter and they often mention that they are.

When was the last time we heard a well known person who isn't a former player mention they support the Reds, Tahs, Wallabies etc.

Currently, the Prime minister, Federal Treasurer, the new Governor General are rugby supporters. I don't recall Abbott saying 'go Tahs' but I've heard him lend the Manly Sea Eagles support, perhaps it's an electorate thing.

My idea is for the ARU to encourage well known figures to publicly support their rugby teams, not in a staged unnatural way, but genuine support. It's free advertising and may stop rugby from being the 'invisible code'

Keep in mind those examples you've quoted are AFL fans. They're not normal people you know...

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Probably was Howard. Coincided with when rugby was quite popular. Can we sent Abbott a tracksuit or Wallaby speedos?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I note that in some European countries such as France and Ireland, rugby players enjoy low taxation. Question for the taxation lawyers on G&GR.

Could SANZAR set up its offices in a country that has a lower taxation rate than Australia. Then rather than the ARU/Super rugby squads paying our players could they be paid by SANZAR and pay a lower rate? Southern Hemisphere salaries may be a bit more competitive compared to the Northern ones. Is there a way this could be done, legally?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ Great lateral thinking but didn't ideas like that put Glen Wheatley in the Big House for a little while?

Status
Not open for further replies.