• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for NRC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The 2014 version is now all done and dusted, and it would appear that there were more positives than negatives arising.

Remembering that Australian Rugby is pretty much broke and doesn't have a lot of money to throw at the competition, if you were in charge, what would you change for NRC 2015?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And to ensure it exists.....

1. ARU does not have much money so invest in a consultancy to do a marketing strategy for NRC...and strategy on how to develop and grow NRC as successful commercial model. This would include advise to NRC clubs / owners on how best to execute and work with other key stakeholders (ARU, community etc) to deliver...

2. Then focus on finding more money to execute marketing strategy once developed ie. sponsorship, private equity etc....

Key thoughts for me which consultancy would cover:
3. How to market NRC leveraging more established brands ie super rugby and wallabies...cross promotion key to promote rugby generally and how NRC fits within this and what its point of difference is...
4. Ensuring support and connection with all levels of rugby including club rugby....NRC is not a threat to club rugby to my mind but ensuring club rugby's and rugby's survival.....
5. Work with Foxtel on how to better market it...e.g. cross promotion in rugby HQ segments, ensuring not referred to as 3rd tier.....having a beginning of games reminder what new rules are...
6. Conducting a lessons learned with all NRC clubs involved - what worked well and opportunities for improvements....share the learnings...get feedback / survey general rugby public - for those who attended and those who didn't (and why they didn't)
7. Get whatever exposure can get to build awareness e.g. continue with curtain raiser games for wallabies games.....at the moment biggest thing NRC is suffering from is exposure..
8. Target journalists to help promote ....fairfax smh clearly was not on board....compared to news and daily telegraph
9. Understand where rugby types hang out and promote....but refer to 2.
10. Understand how can use next seasons super rugby, club rugby and Wallaby games to promote...e.g. Sean McMahon just played for wallabies against Baa Baas...could plug he had a brilliant NRC......interview him and get him to sing its praises (bigger audiences - build awareness). Have NRC clubs work with super rugby games to offer free NRC memberships to those in the crowd at games at half time...(spot the crowd).....win win....for both ie giving something to super rugby fans which costs super rugby franchise nothing....
11. Tap the brains / learnings of other sporting codes who have successfully launched new sporting codes and their brains trust....look outside - don't just look within...speak to those who run ITM etc...

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Offer a deal to Super Rugby members, free entry to NRC games for $10 extra.

It wont make too much more money but there is money to be made at the grounds and it at least should boost crowds.

If you can get a habit formed then people will continue to attend.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I like the idea liquor box....and even better for NSW and QLD free entry to any NRC games (where more than one NRC franchise in State)....offer just in early years as get people to the game and then hopefully once got them there and liking the product they will renew a specific membership at club of their choice....

More about building awareness and getting exposure (and trying to minimise losses)...in early years/ stage...

But reckon given cost of super rugby memberships you could offer for NSW Waratahs and Reds fans - chance to buy at time of membership signup to also purchase NRC membership to see any of State NRC games for $50 (not $10 as still bargain and means they could attend any of 4 NSW NRC games). Share the $50 amongst 4 clubs....get bigger pie and distribute...just get them to the game...create a habit and following as you say

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
ARU and bod looking after NRC start planning and work for next year NOW....which includes engaging NOW with...Super rugby franchises, club rugby and Wallaby franchises /key stakeholders....on how can work together to grow and build awareness of NRC and create cross benefits for each of other tiers to grow, market and develop rugby following and quality of commercial product..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fantastic - thanks DC Target - good to know....Waratahs and Reds need to do something similar - just requires bit more thought given multiple state teams...

Hopefully Rising get a few more Rebels on board with their membership renewals to include this option based on their 2014 performance...

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Brisbane City took onboard the early criticism of the game day experience and made some good changes. Beer+ticket lines much faster, better food options, good curtain raiser games.

Would like to see more of the same for 2015. Beer prices can absolutely not rise above $6.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
What the NRC showed is that the QRU is much better at organising shit than the NSWRU. Better jerseys, better branding, better game day experience.

Sydney stars:
- Shit, artificial name. No supporters, no soul, not a lot of talent on the field. Why not just call it Balmain?

NSW country:
- A jersey that is the worst shade of orange ever conceived.

North Harbour Rays:
- Why does every team need a random animal attached to it? Whats wrong with just North Harbour and a nice blue jersey instead of a mismatched harlequin.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Lot of money for not a lot of reward. A lot of the players in the NRC are under 20 anyway.

How many NRC players will be offered S15 contract for 2015?
(Anyway I didn't understand the title of the thread was calling for only things which had passed a cost/benefit analysis- my mistake)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So the aim of the game has to be to get rugby fans to watch a game and get exposure....

So how about doing a mailout to all super rugby members with voucher to offer one free NRC game to attend of their choice....or if they want to purchase membership they can enter voucher number to get extra discount (so those purchasing NRC memberships don't feel they miss out).

Do mailout to club rugby lists as well offering same deal......use existing fan base to market to....

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
What the NRC showed is that the QRU is much better at organising shit than the NSWRU. Better jerseys, better branding, better game day experience.

Sydney stars:
- Shit, artificial name. No supporters, no soul, not a lot of talent on the field. Why not just call it Balmain?

NSW country:
- A jersey that is the worst shade of orange ever conceived.

North Harbour Rays:
- Why does every team need a random animal attached to it? Whats wrong with just North Harbour and a nice blue jersey instead of a mismatched harlequin.

Couldn't agree more with those four points, especially re the three NSW teams you list.

Spot on.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The first thing I'd like to see is a review of the law changes used this year and an acknowledgement of those that will be kept and those that will be discarded. Maybe with input again from the fans as we were involved in the suggested changes this year. For mine, I'd like to see all goals reduced to 2 points. I don't like the conversion being worth 3 points but I do like the more attacking play the reduction of the penalty/field goal value seemed to have. Obviously, wouldn't have had a great bearing on most results this year as there weren't any decided by a penalty goal iirc. I think the Spirit may have beaten the Vikings by 2 on the strength of a late penalty where the game otherwise would have been another draw.

I'm not sure there would be any money for a consultancy to look into marketing. Recognising how well the Reds supported the comp and their teams, just get them to coach the remaining teams in the best use of social media etc.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I'm not sure there would be any money for a consultancy to look into marketing. Recognising how well the Reds supported the comp and their teams, just get them to coach the remaining teams in the best use of social media etc.

Not my thang at all, but I DO read a lot about this thing called 'social media' and how it is the way of the future (?)

Instead of spending money on old dinosaurs like 'consultants' howabout the ARU get on board a whole bunch of young rugby nutters (maybe slip 'em a few test tickets) who also are computer savvy. Surely they'd know how to orchestrate a 'social media' thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.