• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for NRC

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Who is going to play for them?
What super franchises will supply them players at no cost?
All non professional players cannot just 'up stumps' and move interstate for a couple of months.
They have jobs/studies and things like leases on houses/units.
You would need to pay them weekly,what they currently earn for the NRC season.
absolute non starter...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe start to develop the players first.

The Super Franchises are a nod and an announcement away from having fully aligned, partially ARU funded U20s sides.

There's an opportunity for some sort of ARU scholarship setup, either just for South Australia or inclusive of Northern Territory and Tasmania as well.

James Hilterbrand and Alex Rokobaro both played Super Rugby having played up to U18s in South Australia. Adam Coleman did the same for Tasmania.

If it's not financially unfeasible, I reckon it would be both good for development of more talent, and a nice show of support for these areas, which seem to have little to no representation at all.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I still think getting them into the Shute Shield would just as effective as a scholarship set up. It would give a greater number of players the opportunity to develop and gain exposure. You don't have to worry about housing or accomodation just fares in and out of both Sydney and Adelaide. With enough planning that cost could be minimised.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Maybe start to develop the players first.

There's an opportunity for some sort of ARU scholarship setup, either just for South Australia or inclusive of Northern Territory and Tasmania as well.

Market forces are already at work QLD Private schools are doing the job for ARU in the past. Victoria were raided for schoolboy talent. Early examples LLoyd Johansson, Digby Ioane, Ben Tapaui. WA has recently lost Jayden Ngamanu and Jean Charl Smith. SA with UJ Seuteni and Tas with Nili Fielea.

SA are in the JGC and talent is identified there. Division 2.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Market forces are already at work QLD Private schools are doing the job for ARU in the past. Victoria were raided for schoolboy talent. Early examples LLoyd Johansson, Digby Ioane, Ben Tapaui. WA has recently lost Jayden Ngamanu and Jean Charl Smith. SA with UJ Seuteni and Tas with Nili Fielea.

SA are in the JGC and talent is identified there. Division 2.

That's great and all but what about late bloomers? The kid at 16/17 could be a very different player at 21/22 or 23. There needs to be a conduit for these guys as well.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The Super Rugby U20 competition is a good idea because it is short and will allow these players to still play Shute Shield and club Rugby.

The best way to develop younger players (18-23yo) is to get them involved in a quality local club Rugby Competition in their region and give them the chance to play NRC in August if they are good enough.

Does that mean Shute Shield teams need development teams/U23 teams. Actually they already do. These teams play curtain raisers to NRC games.

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The ARU's job is to support State rugby unions to develop the club Rugby in their regions.

One key aspect that should be looked at is making the game safer. The VIVA7s is a nice non contact version of sevens that can attract new players. But Rugby is a violent sport if players are allowed to attack the head and tackle high. If the ARU made a strong effort to make rugby safer, especially protecting players heads in contact as much as possible this could differentiate it from NRL as a safer sport.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
If Rugby Australia asked World Rugby to experiment with harsher penalties for high tackles and zero tolerance for violence. This could have good outcomes for Rugby

T

TOCC

So rumours that the top Shute Shield and Premier Grade clubs will play each other in a mini round robin tournament post club season which would overlap with the NRC but potentially be broadcast FTA..

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
The rumour I have heard is all clubs
They have unanimously voted for action against aru and the NRC
Aru has gone back on promise to provide funding to club rugby
All clubs have bent over to help aru in past few years and understanding was when new tv deal was struck clubs would see some funding and aid from aru

I understand idea is to go back to full home away fixtures and overlap season with NRC
No club players to partake in NRC an games scheduled in direct competion and on free to air
This has been mentioned for next year not this one there may be a mini comp as mentioned earlier
Not sure if all correct but it's what I have heard from a few members from a few clubs but nothing confirmed

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
This'll be fun. If I were an arsehole, I'd announce, today, that if you're currently playing domestically, you need to either be playing in the Super U20s, or signed for and made yourself available to play for an NRC side.

That'd throw the cat amongst the pigeons, and be a good counter power play to the clubs. House of Cards, weakest link and all that. Half a dozen players outside the U20 ranks agonisingly close to a Super Contract breaking ranks, and the floodgates open.

T

TOCC

It's going to place a lot of players in such an awkward position, especially those from places like QLD where the NRC teams are essentially feeder teams for the Reds.

What happens when Nic Stiles calls up 'player x' and invites him along to join Brisbane City, but his QPR team is also playing in a tournament over that period. The player is torn between loyalty to his club teammates and the desire for higher selection.

This outcome wouldn't surprise me in NSW, Shute Shield clubs have always been happy to play politics, but QPR teams have been more inclined to stick with the QRU.

It's a classic, cut off the nose to spite the face scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Excellent. Why be a smaller part of the growth of the game when you can run your petty vendettas and be a big part of the stagnation/regression of the game.
Hardly petty
Clubs pay a hell of a lot of money to aru
This was started to help aru when they needed it and on the understanding that when the new tv deal wa struck clubs would get it back some way
Aru now saying get stuffed and while you are at it fund the NRC in Sydney and get no help during the whole year from us
Season was shifted to help aru cutting games and income from schedule to help aru so if clubs need to shift them backtr to keep going that's not being petty is it?

T

Train Without a Station

Hardly petty
Clubs pay a hell of a lot of money to aru
This was started to help aru when they needed it and on the understanding that when the new tv deal wa struck clubs would get it back some way
Aru now saying get stuffed and while you are at it fund the NRC in Sydney and get no help during the whole year from us
Season was shifted to help aru cutting games and income from schedule to help aru so if clubs need to shift them backtr to keep going that's not being petty is it?

This is all bullshit.

SS Clubs pay the same money to the ARU that the other 758 registered clubs do. They have just historically got all of the benefit.

As for the NRC. The clubs wanted the stake. It's basically only Sydney that the clubs are involved. And it's what's holding the NRC back.

Tell the clubs to fuck off then. I'm sure the Waratahs can run 2 NRC teams with their existing resources just like the Reds do.

And Warren Livingstone was bankrolling the Stars wasn't he? So again, not SS Clubs funding it.

It's petty because it negatively impacts rugby in Australia long term, and as a result, will negatively impact themselves

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Way to through a cat amongst the pigeons on a Monday Morning.

This is all bullshit.

SS Clubs pay the same money to the ARU that the other 758 registered clubs do. They have just historically got all of the benefit.

As for the NRC. The clubs wanted the stake. It's basically only Sydney that the clubs are involved. And it's what's holding the NRC back.

Who funded the Risings stake in the NRC?
Who funded or better still who funded Perth Spirit's steak in the NRC?

Asking these questions because media tells me the ARU has provided significant help over recent times, plus the Premier Clubs in QLD & NSW continue to provide significant player help.

I'm not saying for one minute cash should be simply given.

I have said on another thread - that the premier clubs in all states should be receiving grants based on various performance measures that result in a better return for the ARU - that is growth of game.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Ok technically it is the stopping of grants but it was seen asa a tax or refund by the clubs that would stop when the new deal came in
It's around $100,000 per club
Clubs in Sydney are struggling to keep going and the aru are directly responsible
Therefore it's not out of pettiness that this MAY be done
Again this is all conjecture and could all be a few people talking cr@p after a few beers