• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Un-Australian Activities - RWC 2019

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It all starts Friday night:

Fri Sept 20, 20:45: Japan v Russia, Tokyo Stadium (pool A)
Sat Sept 21, 17:15: France v Argentina, Tokyo Stadium (pool C)
Sat Sept 21, 19:45: New Zealand v South Africa, International Stadium, Yokohama (pool B)
Sun Sept 22, 15:15: Italy v Namibia, Hanazono Rugby Stadium (pool B)
Sun Sept 22, 17:45: Ireland v Scotland, International Stadium Yokohama (pool A)
Sun Sept 22, 20:15: England v Tonga, Sapporo Dome (pool C)
Mon Sept 23, 20:15: Wales v Georgia, City of Toyota Stadium (pool D)

Times are AEST.

Three crunch games in there, including probable Pool deciders in NZ v SA & Ireland v Scotland. France v Argentina winner likely to finish runner-up in Pool.

Edit: while Ireland v Scotland is likely to decide who wins that Pool, Scotland do have to play Japan last & with only a four-day turnaround c.f. Japan's eight days. Assuming Japan have only lost to Ireland by that point I do fancy their chances of pulling off an upset. They'll need a lot of things to go their way but it's definitely on IMO.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fri Sept 20, 20:45: Japan v Russia 67-3. the trains run on time versus vodka all down their fronts
Sat Sept 21, 17:15: France v Argentina 22-22. as karmic revenge for France blighting the tournament with 3 of their bullshit referees, a TMO debacle robs their national side of a win here lol.
Sat Sept 21, 19:45: New Zealand v South Africa 18-24. oh dear. Bok D wins the day
Sun Sept 22, 15:15: Italy v Namibia 42-18. the Gucci boys don't look flash but their hair does
Sun Sept 22, 17:45: Ireland v Scotland 17-7 dogshit match with both sides lilting like lilies in the oppressive heat
Sun Sept 22, 20:15: England v Tonga 62-0. the world gets to see how badly the island sides have regressed #capitalism
Mon Sept 23, 20:15: Wales v Georgia 27-3. would be 57-3 if the weather wasnt as hot as a sauna on the sun.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
^ Hopefully they fare better than when they played Queensland B In Townsville back in 1990 when they got severely sunburnt on a day trip to the reef

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Coupla things to ponder re: AB midfield selection:

1. All Blacks midfield combinations since the 2015 Rugby World Cup (test starts)
Williams-Crotty: (12 tests)
Crotty-Lienert-Brown: (8 tests)
Williams-Lienert Brown: (5 tests)
Williams-Goodhue: (3 tests)
Crotty-Goodhue: (2 tests)
Lienert-Brown-Goodhue: (1 test)

2. Over those 47* matches Crotty has played the most minutes at 12, and the most minutes at 13.

* 31 with various combos of the four guys they've taken to RWC plus 16 others where e.g. Fekitoa or Laumape have started.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ed-all-blacks-midfield-combination-since-2015

SBW, Mo'unga, Cane & Goodhue all took part in the open part of yesterday's training, suggesting they're all available for selection this weekend. Retallick also warmed up but other than hinting he may be ready for the last Pool match v Italy there's been nothing solid re: his return date.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...alk-of-miracle-comeback-from-brodie-retallick

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Still on the fence on the Boks v Blacks game. Undecided whether i bet NZ 1-12 win or Boks to beat the line with +6.5. Waiting with bated breath to see the team sheets.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
first XV for the world cup, it's really happening lads.
70312802_10157859239307174_3956815252246495232_o.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
South Africa: Willie Le Roux, Cheslin Kolbe, Lukhanyo Am, Damian de Allende, Makazole Mapimpi, Handre Pollard, Faf de Klerk Duane Vermeulen, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Siya Kolisi, Franco Mostert, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe, Malcolm Marx, Steven Kitshoff. Reserves: Mbongeni Mbonambi, Tendai Mtawarira, Trevor Nyakane, RG Snyman, Francois Louw, Herschel Jantjies, Francois Steyn, Jesse Kriel.

Only one change from Wellington, Kolisi back in so Kwagga Smith drops out.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Scotland are Bullish

Irish Times said:
Defence wins World Cups. We can win the World Cup. The chance to catch Ireland comes in Yokohama. This is Scotland. This is Stuart Hogg reaching for the stars.

The audio needed replaying to be sure this dazzling running back said what he said.
“The quality and standards in training are right up there with the best I have been involved in,” Hogg began. “We feel we are in a good place but we are here to do a job – that begins by getting our campaign off to a great start by beating Ireland.

“Defensively we have to be spot on. We believe defence will win World Cups and it’s something we have been working incredibly hard on it since we came together in June.”

Scotland’s best player sounds awfully like Felipe Contepomi in 2007. Are they Los Pumas of 2019?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ru...reland-and-rugby-world-cup-by-storm-1.4022408

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Predictable Bokke 23 & IMO the only debatable AB spots are 4, 12/13 & 14.

I reckon they'll go with 4. ScoBar (Pat T on bench), 12. Crotty 13. AL-B (SBW on bench) 14. Reece (not sure Bender even makes the bench, think they'll prefer JBarr there). Team should be out early this afternoon.

Hopefully both Mo'unga & Bleugan have been practicing their DG's, I'd hate to see us blow another win v SA by not taking a shot when it's on as famously happened last year in Wellington but also this year. Sure, Bleugan kicked two for AB on EOYT but both were under penalty advantage which is a whole different scenario to needing one with five or less on the clock & knowing you only get one crack at it. Disturbingly, in 60+ Super Rugby & 70+ M10 matches last year NZ sides kicked ZERO drop-goals so it really does seem to be a lost art.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Predictable Bokke 23 & IMO the only debatable AB spots are 4, 12/13 & 14.

I reckon they'll go with 4. ScoBar (Pat T on bench), 12. Crotty 13. AL-B (SBW on bench) 14. Reece (not sure Bender even makes the bench, think they'll prefer JBarr there). Team should be out early this afternoon.

Hopefully both Mo'unga & Bleugan have been practicing their DG's, I'd hate to see us blow another win v SA by not taking a shot when it's on as famously happened last year in Wellington but also this year. Sure, Bleugan kicked two for AB on EOYT but both were under penalty advantage which is a whole different scenario to needing one with five or less on the clock & knowing you only get one crack at it. Disturbingly, in 60+ Super Rugby & 70+ M10 matches last year NZ sides kicked ZERO drop-goals so it really does seem to be a lost art.
Nah mate,

It is not a lost art, it's just impossible lately for any team to line up a drop. Everyone's offside or borderline offside.

Just hoping for a close game. A big loss for the Boks would be a real blow.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
For what it is worth,

I think the occasion may be quite big for the Boks and they will fall behind. It is extremely hard to catch up in those Japanese conditions, but I am hoping for some heroic antics. Many of the NZ contingent would have experienced finals pressure.

If not that, then hoping the Boks get rolling with 2-3 3-pointers, holding on, then taking a try scoring opportunity if and when it presents itself.

I don't think the Boks did themselves any favours putting pressure on the ref however.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah mate,

It is not a lost art, it's just impossible lately for any team to line up a drop. Everyone's offside or borderline offside.

Just hoping for a close game. A big loss for the Boks would be a real blow.

Yet we continue to have DG scored against us with what seems like monotonous regularity. I s'pose that's the price you pay for strict adherence to the offside Law :)

Totally agree re: Erasmus' ref comments, seems a bit silly to be poking the bear like that, Garces doesn't strike me as the most calm-and-collected bloke at the best of times then you've also got the Poite factor to consider.

Should be a great match, may the best team win & see you in the Final.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yet we continue to have DG scored against us with what seems like monotonous regularity. I s'pose that's the price you pay for strict adherence to the offside Law :)

Totally agree re: Erasmus' ref comments, seems a bit silly to be poking the bear like that, Garces doesn't strike me as the most calm-and-collected bloke at the best of times then you've also got the Poite factor to consider.

Should be a great match, may the best team win & see you in the Final.

HAHAHAHA at your first and second sentences.

IF both NZ and SA are to reach the final then the team that wins this match will also win the final.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All Blacks for SA:

1. Joe Moody (41)

2. Dane Coles (64)

3. Nepo Laulala (20)

4. Samuel Whitelock (112)

5. Scott Barrett (32)

6. Ardie Savea (34)

7. Sam Cane (63)

8. Kieran Read - captain (122)

9. Aaron Smith (87)