• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Informational Flash interactive : The Rugby Rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Right everyone, for interactive design I've been tasked with designing an interactive (flash) which tells someone how to do something.

I have to "collect" market data for this.

I've decided to settle on Rugby, particularly set pieces. So from the main it goes to backline movements and forward play. Then in forward play I have the various set pieces (lineouts, scrums) and then I'm going to focus on the scrum.

But the real question is, what would you guys want from something like this, considering it could be used to inform youngsters how to pack and things in a classroom, and also older novices who have decided to start playing?

Cheers for your help. O0

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
this is brilliant mate. can become something quite special.

So an educational piece on the scrum? Purpose, positions, techniques etc?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
well, I'm focusing on the scrum for the concept, but the overall shell will imply a far greater depth to the knowledge, looking at the lineouts, backline moves, tackling positions etc.

For the scrum though, I'm looking at positions, descriptions and an overhead view. Within those positions a general sideview for posture (shit and chuck for a prop etc), feet positions overhead view, bind type, then a description of the ref calls going into it. There'll be a shell implying a section on mayday call.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Heres the concept draft/brief that I drew up for this, theres a few concept screenshots in there too, take a look.

Attachments

• ID all reduced.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 394

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
someone posted a link to a rather crude motion board thing that showed some backline moves. maybe replicating some of that will give you some material.

bugger me if i can remember what the link or thread was though.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
someone posted a link to a rather crude motion board thing that showed some backline moves. maybe replicating some of that will give you some material.

bugger me if i can remember what the link or thread was though.

Boom, right here.

www.rugbytactics.com

Only backline moves in the link, but I agree with newb, a flash sequence of the engagement and a focus on each position's role in the scrum i.e. backrow keeping scrum tight, second rowers pushing through the hooker etc.

Also, RF, great work on this. Developing into something nice.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Right peeps, I need "market feedback" for this shit, need more ideas on functionality, aesthetics, etc etc, going to focus the concept on "How a loosehead prop should bind and engage in a scrum" in about 8-10 steps.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Alright, heres a semi done product.

To access the steps etc, follow

Enter>forwards>scrum>next etc

home button (the goalposts) is also functional

PDF of the screens is there too.

Attachments

• custom.zip
    613.5 KB · Views: 326
  • all.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 272

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
RF, there is a truck load of work to be done on this draft if the section on the Scrum is anything to go by:

Scrum: a contested restart of the ball after a penalty Perhaps "a contested restart of the game after a free kick or penalty" although it can be after other stoppages as well.

3 Loosehead prop You have the numbering of the props wrong. The loosehead is numbered 1.

You also need to offset the positioning of the opposing packs more so that they don't clash heads on the engage.

2. Correct your footwork, with a low centre of gravity (position in blue) Presumably this is prior to the engagement.

It would be unclear to a novice what you expect the loosehead to do here. What about an arrow to indicate where the foot should be moved to?

3. Correct your posture ... The legs should be shown with separate thigh and shank segments rather than as a continuous arc.

6. Push and hook the ball ... Simultaneously lift your legs to rake the ball behind you. A recipe for scrum collapse. Presumably you never played in the front row.

You need to redraw your player mannikins. None of them are binding.

I could go on but perhaps you need to meet up with some of us to provide you with constructive feedback.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Cheers Bruce, I had to rush through it in this last minute to meet the uni deadline (have to pass the unit) though I will try and look into developing it into the future, your feedback is much appreciated, I'm in awe of the knowledge you show on the game.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Looking very promising RF, could I suggest player numbers on more of the slides to help with identification.

eg, in the .pdf page 8 where you talk about binding to the hooker, he could have a 2 on his back. Or perhaps scrumcaps on the figures with their numbers on them so you can identify them easily sideon?

As Bruce suggests, your number is back to front for the props - in your diagram, 1 should be on the bottom (page 10).

Considering the team are wearing All Black, the number 7 should be slipping into the front row...

Is the green bar along the bottom a progress indicator? Perhaps a rugby ball or something moving along this bar showing how far through you are.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
to be honest, Im a lazy university student, cut out alot of crap, I did this all between midnight and 3 am last night.....so yeh......

but the point is its functionality is there.

only need 40% anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.