• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Injury Thread (experiences in treatment & the like)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've has a Grade 1 Medial & Lateral Ankle Sprain since mid Feb. It's an unusual injury, I can train & play on it as well as cut/change direction no problem but occasionally sitting down just moving it around it gets a bit achy in parts. Certainly in the 'niggle' injury category.

Has anyone here had the same or similar injury? What strengthening exercises or rehab did you do? I am looking at asking my physio about whether heat is actually a better idea than ice given that the area is really more ligament related than muscle.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Start a niggle injury thread and I'll fill the thing myself! My latest is a jarred thumb from last week's game (ie before easter). My wrist is still a bit shit, and constantly needs strapping and I've had persistent aches/pain from a gastronemeus tear about 2yrs ago (especially when it's cold). That gave me a bunch of interesting exercises and stretches to do!

But I'm sure the old farts round here can well and truly out-do me.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Had a niggling broken ankle for 6 months that required strapping and eventually surgery. Now that's a niggle!

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Start a niggle injury thread and I'll fill the thing myself! My latest is a jarred thumb from last week's game (ie before easter). My wrist is still a bit shit, and constantly needs strapping and I've had persistent aches/pain from a gastronemeus tear about 2yrs ago (especially when it's cold). That gave me a bunch of interesting exercises and stretches to do!

But I'm sure the old farts round here can well and truly out-do me.

+1 for the thumb injury Jnor. I've stuffed the ulnar collateral ligaments in both thumbs through high speed falls when skiing and aggravated the injury in my left thumb last year at training. I've been strapping the thumb for 12 months but didn't do it last game and you can guess what happened. When doing a bit of consulting with Doctor Google I found out that the sports most likely to cause ulnar collateral ligament injuries are skiing and the two rugby codes.... great :rolleyes:

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Do you guys with the thumb injuries have the condition of natural hyper extension of the thumbs? I do & that's why I also sometimes have to strap my thumbs as well because that apparently can hurt the joint & cause inflammation. The physio identified it that the ROM I get is way more than usual, she actually suggested a thumb guard so something that stop the thumb hyper extending but I find it annoying. The only positive is I'm one hell of an opponent in thumb wars.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Do you guys with the thumb injuries have the condition of natural hyper extension of the thumbs? I do & that's why I also sometimes have to strap my thumbs as well because that apparently can hurt the joint & cause inflammation. The physio identified it that the ROM I get is way more than usual, she actually suggested a thumb guard so something that stop the thumb hyper extending but I find it annoying. The only positive is I'm one hell of an opponent in thumb wars.

No, my injury is caused by hyper-extension but I don't have it occurring naturally. The initial injuries were caused by not releasing the ski pole when falling and ripping the thumb backwards when landing. It's such a common injury when skiing that doctors call acute tearing of the ligament 'skier's thumb'.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
My wrist is still a bit shit, and constantly needs strapping

Tell me about it. I broke a little L shaped bone in my wrist a few years ago. I think I played most of the game with it broken, didn't really notice the pain until I started driving home. I knew it was bad when I couldn't hold a beer that night. It took the docs two weeks to actually confirm the break, the area was that swollen.

Apart from that, my left knee is crook and hates the cold. Broke a toe a few years back, and did ligament damage to my upper back/lower neck area. That one was a pleasure. There was no brace on hand at the ground, so my head was stabilised via electrical tape and spare jerseys. My old flattie and I got a free jersey out of it though! Had to wear a brace on my neck for a few weeks, and then do silly little stretching exercises using a little rubber device that was located in my shower. Physios orders.

The joys of playing rugby.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
No, my injury is caused by hyper-extension but I don't have it occurring naturally. The initial injuries were caused by not releasing the ski pole when falling and ripping the thumb backwards when landing. It's such a common injury when skiing that doctors call acute tearing of the ligament 'skier's thumb'.

Apparently if its hyper extended, in whatever way, it leaves it open to being damaged by then being pushed down which causes the jarring & then inflammation. That's how I did mine. Yours doesn't sound too great either, good thing I don't ski.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tell me about it. I broke a little L shaped bone in my wrist a few years ago. I think I played most of the game with it broken, didn't really notice the pain until I started driving home. I knew it was bad when I couldn't hold a beer that night. It took the docs two weeks to actually confirm the break, the area was that swollen.

Apart from that, my left knee is crook and hates the cold. Broke a toe a few years back, and did ligament damage to my upper back/lower neck area. That one was a pleasure. There was no brace on hand at the ground, so my neck was stabilised via electrical tape and spare jerseys. My old flattie and I got a free jersey out of it though! Had to wear a brace on my neck for a few weeks, and then do silly little stretching exercises using a little rubber device that was located in my shower. Physios orders.

The joys of playing rugby.

Haven't broken anything yet (touch wood) but that wrist thing sounds annoying. I noticed in the heat of battle you don't seem to realise how bad an injury is till you get home. When I did a grade 2 AC injury a few years ago during a game I went off for 5min then went back out & played the rest of the game only to ride in the cold winter night home on my motorbike (must've been at least 40min ride). It hurt like hell riding home. When I saw the swelling in the mirror at home I freaked out thinking I must've broken something but xrays showed I didnt. Took a while for me to get confident with tackling again, that injury scared me, but it forced me to take my conditioning more seriously & now overall I'm a lot stronger.

A lot of non-rugby people ask me why the hell I'd go back to Rugby but they just don't understand how fun it is to play.

P

philsale

Not being one to do things by half, I did both thumbs at once by not bailing from my mountain bike before I ran into a tree - still had both hands on the bars. Really thought I could pull that corner off at that speed...
I didn't seek any medical attention at the time - just wrapped them both up so that I could get out of school work. Neither MCP joint moves more than ~ 5 degrees any more. Apart from the limited ROM, they feel fine - I am sure I'll pay for it later in life.

Did the same thing as light last year as well - had the ankle repaired at christmas. Broke the same foot doing my rehab running when I slipped into a pothole - cricket players were still using our ground for their training, so we were running in the scrubby stuff off to the side.

At the moment, all is feeling good. Am I just getting old? Or am I so accident-prone that I should really have my drivers licence cancelled? Answers on a postcard, please.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not being one to do things by half, I did both thumbs at once by not bailing from my mountain bike before I ran into a tree - still had both hands on the bars. Really thought I could pull that corner off at that speed...
I didn't seek any medical attention at the time - just wrapped them both up so that I could get out of school work. Neither MCP joint moves more than ~ 5 degrees any more. Apart from the limited ROM, they feel fine - I am sure I'll pay for it later in life.

Did the same thing as light last year as well - had the ankle repaired at christmas. Broke the same foot doing my rehab running when I slipped into a pothole - cricket players were still using our ground for their training, so we were running in the scrubby stuff off to the side.

At the moment, all is feeling good. Am I just getting old? Or am I so accident-prone that I should really have my drivers licence cancelled? Answers on a postcard, please.

Lol. I'd say, from experience, injuries have a lot to do with bad luck or just ignoring advice from physios not to play.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Apparently if its hyper extended, in whatever way, it leaves it open to being damaged by then being pushed down which causes the jarring & then inflammation. That's how I did mine. Yours doesn't sound too great either, good thing I don't ski.

Yes, I've had that side effect of jarring.

Skiing's great fun, it's the best thing you can do standing up (yes, I know there are some positions that involve standing). The only problem is that beginners don't know how to put the pole straps around their wrists to minimise the risk of thumb injuries. I wasn't told when I learned and paid the price. Whenever I take a group of first timers for a lesson I always make sure they know how to hold the poles properly so that they don't suffer those injuries.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
As a person that is naturally hyper-mobile and who has now reached the age of the slippery downward slope..... I am starting to pay for it.

Ankles - I have discloated and broken (at different times) my right ankle and broke my left foot so the ankle spent 6 wks in a cast and due to previous sprains have ended up with major scaring on the ligments. Current strengthing exercises that my physio (I have one on retainer) has me doing are raises onto toes and down, sitting and drawing the alphabet (uppercase) with each foot, and then using a exercise band. Have also been diagnosed with synovial osteocomdrymosis - basical the synovial fluid in my joints is clacifying.

I have also dislocated my left knee, right hip, right shoulder, right thumb (at the carprometcarpel joint - where it joins the wrist), and fingers to many times to count or remember. Also screwed my right knee last year, have various ribs seperated from sternm and spine, damage to neck ligments from being rolled in the cattle yards a few times, broke my nose twice, left wrist once, and god knows what else. Yes I am still walking, but have a pain threshold that would kill a horse.

I have just purchased some magnets that are ment to reduce pain. Will let you know how I get on. As I said before I Have a pysio and massuse on retainer, but they at least keep me functioning. Strapping is good.

Advice - Get injuries looked at straight away. Even if you think that they aren't that bad and you'll just see how they go for a week.... go and see someone. It is better, easier, and you get better recovery if they are treated straight away.
- Listen to what the edumacated people tell you. If they tell you not to strap you wrist up and go mustering..... then it is probably a good idea. And yes those weird exercises do make you look like an idiot, but so deos getting around on crutches or lying in bed after surgery. Not that I take my own advice....

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh and I forgot to say Angry.... I found getting a pair of proper molded inserts for my shoes helped about 1000%. Reduced the am pain dance signifantly and def worth the $500 investment. Getting foot back to that position it should be takes presure off the ankle ligiments.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
As a person that is naturally hyper-mobile and who has now reached the age of the slippery downward slope..... I am starting to pay for it.

Ankles - I have discloated and broken (at different times) my right ankle and broke my left foot so the ankle spent 6 wks in a cast and due to previous sprains have ended up with major scaring on the ligments. Current strengthing exercises that my physio (I have one on retainer) has me doing are raises onto toes and down, sitting and drawing the alphabet (uppercase) with each foot, and then using a exercise band. Have also been diagnosed with synovial osteocomdrymosis - basical the synovial fluid in my joints is clacifying.

I have also dislocated my left knee, right hip, right shoulder, right thumb (at the carprometcarpel joint - where it joins the wrist), and fingers to many times to count or remember. Also screwed my right knee last year, have various ribs seperated from sternm and spine, damage to neck ligments from being rolled in the cattle yards a few times, broke my nose twice, left wrist once, and god knows what else. Yes I am still walking, but have a pain threshold that would kill a horse.

I have just purchased some magnets that are ment to reduce pain. Will let you know how I get on. As I said before I Have a pysio and massuse on retainer, but they at least keep me functioning. Strapping is good.

Advice - Get injuries looked at straight away. Even if you think that they aren't that bad and you'll just see how they go for a week.... go and see someone. It is better, easier, and you get better recovery if they are treated straight away.
- Listen to what the edumacated people tell you. If they tell you not to strap you wrist up and go mustering..... then it is probably a good idea. And yes those weird exercises do make you look like an idiot, but so deos getting around on crutches or lying in bed after surgery. Not that I take my own advice....

I'm doing those same exercises for my ankle, its retarded because it feels fine until I grab the foot & move it around that's when it gets a bit angry. Far out you've been through the wars. My injury list would be AC grade 2, SC grade 2, GH strain, thumb aggravations, rib/back injury (where the rib connects to the back - got that injury in a tackle, no grading just dull pain), patella maltracking causing chronic knee soreness, soft tissue injuries to legs & glutes, & now the right ankle. I think you've out done me SFR but there is always time for more (oh god no please).

Oh and I forgot to say Angry.... I found getting a pair of proper molded inserts for my shoes helped about 1000%. Reduced the am pain dance signifantly and def worth the $500 investment. Getting foot back to that position it should be takes presure off the ankle ligiments.

Testify!!! I have orthotics & although they are not for the ankle specifically they are for my patella maltracking, I haven't had probs with it since getting these quite a few years ago (I get new ones made up every couple of years I have sports ones but they are done with attachments from the podiatrist). Physio & my podiatrist found I have feet where parts of my arch are high & other parts low + add onto that the amount of sprinting I do the thighs get bigger but because of being out of alignment to put it that way my outer quads developed bigger & thus pulled up my patella harder making a dragging motion up my knee which would end in irritation. Once I started wearing orthotics it cleared it way up. I still can do beach training shoes off with no support but having the support there for the bulk of my training has allowed me to say good bye to those knee issues.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm doing those same exercises for my ankle, its retarded because it feels fine until I grab the foot & move it around that's when it gets a bit angry. Far out you've been through the wars. My injury list would be AC grade 2, SC grade 2, GH strain, thumb aggravations, rib/back injury (where the rib connects to the back - got that injury in a tackle, no grading just dull pain), patella maltracking causing chronic knee soreness, soft tissue injuries to legs & glutes, & now the right ankle. I think you've out done me SFR but there is always time for more (oh god no please).

Testify!!! I have orthotics & although they are not for the ankle specifically they are for my patella maltracking, I haven't had probs with it since getting these quite a few years ago (I get new ones made up every couple of years I have sports ones but they are done with attachments from the podiatrist). Physio & my podiatrist found I have feet where parts of my arch are high & other parts low + add onto that the amount of sprinting I do the thighs get bigger but because of being out of alignment to put it that way my outer quads developed bigger & thus pulled up my patella harder making a dragging motion up my knee which would end in irritation. Once I started wearing orthotics it cleared it way up. I still can do beach training shoes off with no support but having the support there for the bulk of my training has allowed me to say good bye to those knee issues.

Yeah. I think the age thing has caught up to me. And not looking after myself when younger. I used to always think that I was luckier then my brother as he breaks, I just dislocate, but am starting to think that breaking might have been the better genetic straw. At least bones heal stronger.

And yes I would agree that the orthotics have helped with the knees as well. One problem solved..... 40 to go. I pretty much can't go bare footed any more, and the 4 inch stilleto's are looking like they are going to have to be retired. Good luck though and let me know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.