• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB Annual Awards 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And the nominees for POTY are:

WILLIE LE ROUX (South Africa): A strong and elusive runner from full-back, Willie le Roux has started all 10 of South Africa's Tests in 2014 to take his tally to 22 Tests since his debut against Italy in June 2013. The 25-year-old, who has scored seven Test tries, is strong under the high ball and is potentially the most exciting South Africa outside back to come onto the scene since Bryan Habana.

BRODIE RETALLICK (New Zealand): A towering presence in the lineout, Brodie Retallick's partnership with Sam Whitelock makes arguably the best second row in world rugby at present. The 23-year-old's powerful runs and work-rate across the pitch have brought him to the fore in 2014. An IRB Junior World Championship winner in 2011, Retallick has 35 Tests and one try - against South Africa in the 2013 Rugby Championship - to his name.

JULIAN SAVEA (New Zealand): With a try-scoring rate that few can match, Julian Savea has inevitably drawn comparisons with legendary All Black wing Jonah Lomu this year. The 24-year-old has scored 10 tries in 2014, including a hat-trick against England in the third Test in June, to take his tally to 29 tries in just 31 Tests. Savea was named the IRB Junior Player of the Year in 2010 after helping New Zealand win a third successive IRB Junior World Championship title.

JONATHAN SEXTON (Ireland): The oldest of the nominees at 29, Jonathan Sexton has been the stand-out player for Ireland in 2014 as they claimed the Six Nations title, a first series win in Argentina in June and the scalp of South Africa in Dublin last weekend. His control of the game at fly-half and perfect record from the kicking tee earned the 49-Test veteran the man of the match award against the Springboks.

DUANE VERMEULEN (South Africa): A classic South African number 8, Duane Vermeulen has won plaudits across the world in 2014 for his work at the breakdown, power in the tackle and his destructive ball carrying. With 26 Tests to his name, the 28-year-old was named man of the man in South Africa's 27-25 victory over world champions New Zealand in October with his battle with Kieran Read worth the admission price alone.

"The IRB World Rugby Player of the Year is one of the most prestigious accolades in Rugby and previous winners have all made a significant contribution to the international Game over the past decade, inspiring new generations of players and fans," said IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset.

"All of these nominees have enjoyed stellar years and the focus on who will claim this accolade will add an extra dimension to the remaining November Tests."

The IRB World Rugby Player of the Year 2014 nominees were selected by the independent IRB Awards panel, chaired by Australia's Rugby World Cup 1999 winning captain John Eales.

The panel, comprising Will Greenwood, Gavin Hastings, Raphaël Ibanez, Francois Pienaar, Agustín Pichot, Scott Quinnell, Tana Umaga and Paul Wallace, has deliberated on every major Test played in 2014, starting with the RBS Six Nations and culminating with the November internationals.

"As always the panellists' independent deliberations have produced a worthy list of contenders among a strong field. It has been a year where we have seen a levelling in competition with an unpredictability in so many games now. With a spread of a couple of outside backs, a fly-half, a back-rower and a lock in contention it is not going to be an easy selection to determine the Player of the Year," said Eales.

In support of the initial nomination process, fans now have the chance to have their say on the shortlist via social media. The results of the public vote will be considered by the panel when finalising the winner.

Previous winners include Kieran Read, Dan Carter, Thierry Dusautoir, Shane Williams, Bryan Habana, Schalk Burger, Jonny Wilkinson and Richie McCaw with the two All Black centurions the only players to have won the award on more than one occasion.

The IRB World Rugby Player of the Year is one of 12 categories of awards, including the IRB World Rugby Coach of the Year, IRB World Rugby Team of the Year, IRB Women's Player of the Year, IRB Sevens Player of the Year in association with HSBC, IRB Women's Sevens Player of the Year and IRB Junior Player of the Year.

Previous winners:

2013 - Kieran Read (New Zealand)
2012 - Dan Carter (New Zealand)
2011 - Thierry Dusautoir (France)
2010 - Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
2009 - Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
2008 - Shane Williams (Wales)
2007 - Bryan Habana (South Africa)
2006 - Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
2005 - Dan Carter (New Zealand)
2004 - Schalk Burger (South Africa)
2003 - Jonny Wilkinson (England)
2002 - Fabien Galthié (France)
2001 - Keith Wood (Ireland)

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9561465,00.html

And the award goes to.............

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who do you think deserves player, coach, team, and try of the year for 2014 ?

The IRB have announced the short list for Player of the Year:
http://www.irb.com/history/awards/newsid=2073428.html#world+rugby+player+year+nominees+named

The 2014 nominees are:
Willie le Roux (South Africa),
Brodie Retallick (New Zealand),
Julian Savea (New Zealand),
Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), and
Duane Vermeulen (South Africa).

The IRB World Rugby Player of the Year 2014 nominees were selected by the independent IRB Awards panel, chaired by John Eales.

The Panel:
John Eales (AUS, 1991-2001) - Convenor
Will Greenwood (ENG, 1997-2004)
Gavin Hastings (SCO, 1986-1995)
Francois Pienaar (RSA, 1993-1996)
Paul Wallace (IRE, 1995-2002)
Scott Quinnell (WAL, 1993-2002)
Agustin Pichot (ARG, 1995-2007)
Tana Umaga (NZL, 1997-2005)
Raphel Ibanez (FRA, 1996-2007)

The Panel reviewed every major Test played in 2014, starting with the Six Nations and culminating with the November internationals.

Previous winners
2013 – Kieran Read (New Zealand)
2012 – Dan Carter (New Zealand)
2011 – Thierry Dusautoir (France)
2010 – Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
2009 – Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
2008 – Shane Williams (Wales)
2007 – Bryan Habana (South Africa)
2006 – Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
2005 – Dan Carter (New Zealand)
2004 – Schalk Burger (South Africa)
2003 – Jonny Wilkinson (England)
2002 – Fabien Galthié (France)
2001 – Keith Wood (Ireland)

The IRB Annual Awards categories (and winners for those awards that have already been announced):
IRB Player of the Year
IRB Team of the Year
IRB Coach of the Year
IRPA Try of the Year
IRB Women's Player of the Year: Magali Harvey (CAN)
IRB Development Award
The Vernon Pugh Award for Distinguished Service: Ray Williams (WAL)
IRB Spirit of Rugby Award
IRB Junior Player of the Year: Handre Pollard (SAF)
IRB Sevens Player of the Year: Samisoni Veriveri (FIJ)
IRB Womens Sevens Player of the Year: Emilee Cheery (AUS)
IRB Referee Award for Distinguished Service: Bob Francis (NZL)
IRB Hall Of Fame Inductees for 2014: Fred Allen (NZL), Bill Beaumont (ENG), Phil Bennett (WAL), Naas Botha (SAF), Gordon Brown (SCO), Don Clarke (NZL), Gerald Davies (WAL), Mervyn Davies (WAL), Morne du Plessis (SAF), Ieuan Evans (WAL), Sean Fitzpatrick (NZL), Grant Fox (NZL), Danie Gerber (SAF), Tim Horan (AUS), Andy Irvine (SCO), Carwyn James (WAL), Barry John (WAL), Michael Jones (NZL), Tom Kiernan (IRE), Ian Kirkpatrick (NZL), John Kirwan (NZL), Jason Leonard (ENG), Michael Lynagh (AUS), Bill McLaren (SCO), Terry McLean (NZL), Jo Maso (FRA), Colin Meads (NZL), Graham Mourie (NZL), Hennie Muller (SAF), George Nepia (NZL), Gwyn Nicholls (WAL), Jean-Pierre Rives (FRA), Fergus Slattery (IRE), Joost van der Westhuizen (SAF), Wavell Wakefield (ENG), JPR Williams (WAL), Keith Wood (IRE).

Note the previous inductees to the International Rugby Hall of Fame have now been inducted into the IRB Hall of Fame.
Chairman of Global Rugby Enterprises Limited (the owners of the International Rugby Hall of Fame) John Hart said: “We are delighted to have reached an agreement with the IRB to establish one definitive Rugby Hall of Fame. In doing so we have preserved the history of the International Rugby Hall of Fame by ensuring the induction of our 37 inductees who are not already in the IRB Hall of Fame. We wish the IRB Hall of Fame continued success.”
http://www.irb.com/history/halloffame/newsid=2072560.html#rugby+greats+join+definitive+hall+fame

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Polls usually have to be created at the time the thread is started.

At the bottom of the "Create Thread" window (underneath the Create Thread button), there is a "Post a Poll" section.

Enter the desired info there when you create the thread.

I am not sure if the Mods can retrospectively add a poll to a thread that has already been started.

The "thread tools" functionality that I have as one of the mods for the Schoolboys Forum do not allow me to retrospectively add a poll.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Does Australia have anything to grumble about in regards to any missing Wallabies from the list?
Potentially Hooper and TK?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^The shortlist was determined by former players.

Nobody's Gong is determined by Wallaby player votes. Even Hoopers fellow players determined that he was only 2nd best for the Wobs in the JEM count. On the Player Power/Former Player Power pendulum, then our best candidate for the shortlist is Izzy.

IMHO Willie Le Roux may be a little lucky to be on the list. Politics usually comes into the shortlist nominees and it is a little surprising that there is only 1 NH nominee while NZL and SAF get two each this year.

For me, it is a toss up between Retallick and Vermeulen, leaning towards Retallick. If so a NZL player would have got the chocolates in 6 of the last 7, and 7 of the last 10 years. Impressive stuff, and not too hard to understand why it is so hard to beat them.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes IMO. Hooper deserves to be there over Savea, Sexton and Willie le Roux. le Roux is on par with Farrell in terms of his selection.

Whether he would win it is another story, it's hard to split between Hooper, Retallick and Vermeulen.

I got to say these awards never seem to go to an Aussie. Thought Pocock or Beale were robbed in 2010 and Hooper and McMahon should've got u20s Player of the Year too. But I don't think the deserved winner ever gets the award. 2011 should've been Kaino, 2012 should've been Read and 2013 should've been Ben Smith.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I actually reckon that list is pretty hard to argue against. I probably can't speak too fervently on Sexton but the other four have probably been the most consistent players I have seen. Folau could be considered but I'd suggest they were never going to not pick a NHer.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder when the nominations were finalised?

Could Sexton's MOTM performance in Ireland's upset win over South Africa be the game that pushed him over the edge and secured his nomination?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
None of them really seem to scream I AM THE STALLION to me.

Retallick seems to have tapered off a bit.
Le Roux and Sexton are a wFt. (I'd have Aaron Smith as a nominee before those two.)
Savea yeah i dunno.

I'd probaby give it to Vermeulen

Mccaw for the win though really. IRON HORSE. IRON WILL.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Nah I rate Sexton, he's pretty dominant. Put him in a black jersey and we'd be raving about him.

I agree McCaw could be in there, he's been great this year.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
None of them really seem to scream I AM THE STALLION to me.

Le Roux and Sexton are a wFt.

Sexton getting a lot of bashing from SH fans on forums. The guy was instrumental in Irelands 6N win. At his best, which he has been this year, he controls games Carter-esque. To most NH fans its no surprise he's on that list.

Vermeulen is most peoples favourites from what I've seen, and given this is a fan based poll from now on, he could well be the winner in waiting bar a nightmare performance against England. Savea has been the best outside back in the world now for two seasons - if Savea pipped him it would be more than deserved. Can't see Retalick winning it as a Savea try or Vermeulen big hit is going to stick more in people's minds than a lineout steal or doing graft work at rucktime.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Le Roux getting nominated is complete joke shop stuff. Close to the most overrated player in the world.

It should go to Retallick, wouldn't be overly fussed if Vermeulen won it though.

We're due the token NH winner by now, so it'll be Sexton.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My pecking order for this would be:

Retallick
Vermuelen
Sexton
Savea
le Roux

Surprised some people have been so critical of Sexton. I think he's done more this year than Savea or le Roux.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think it's because his defining trait, in my eyes anyway, is his competence. He's just a good, solid, player who runs a game well. He'd be a pretty marginal selection for best flyhalf in the world, so saying he's the best player is just a bit eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.