• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB to become "World Rugby"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's time for a makeover...........

The International Rugby Board (IRB) will undergo a second name change in 16 years when it becomes formally known as World Rugby in November as part of a rebranding programme, the sport's governing body said on Thursday.

The new brand, including a revised logo, will be launched at the IRB World Rugby Conference and Exhibition in London on Nov. 17-18, with the new name taking effect from Nov. 19.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/irb-ushers-in-new-era-with-name-change-to-world-rugby-20140828-109sec.html#ixzz3BkC9GtL2

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Needs a culture change as well as a name change if it is to lose its reputation as a bunch of gin soaked old farts.

Most other sports manage quite well with the old FIFA, FINA, NFL style names. Personally it seems to be a rebranding for rebranding sake.

Hope there is cultural change with the name change.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Everytime I see one of these things I picture the new ABC show Utopia.

The International Rugby Board will become World Rugby from November 19, 2014 as part of a major rebranding programme.

The new brand, including a new logo, will be launched at the IRB World Rugby Conference and Exhibition in London on November 17-18.

Meh, marketing will be pleased and it will not get one more person playing rugby

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Everytime I see one of these things I picture the new ABC show Utopia.

Meh, marketing will be pleased and it will not get one more person playing rugby

Their new website will be called The Tryline and will feature different sounds on every page.

There will also be video blogs with Brett Gosper except Brett Gosper will be played by Alec Baldwin.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

I agree.

No likee. Which snout in LeatherPatchLand has shares in a Rebranding Consulting Practice?

Rugby has a traditional backbone and culture. Why change?

Will changing the name change the culture of the Gin soaked, Shiraz guzzlers running the IRB/World Rugby? If so, then I'm all for it, but I reckon it will be same old favourite radio station WII-FM*, regardless of the name.

Didn't Billy Shakespeare say it all in Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene II
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

* What's In It For Me.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree that it's pointless if the change in name doesn't reflect any actual change in governance.

That said the IRB is a pretty stuffy old name.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Their new website will be called The Tryline and will feature different sounds on every page.

There will also be video blogs with Brett Gosper except Brett Gosper will be played by Alec Baldwin.

And it will be owned by the Sheinhardt Wig Company, no doubt.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
so far the name change will: make no difference to playing numbers, involve a legal shit fight over the domain name and lead to punctuation/grammar nazis coming into the ascendancy, as they should.
Take these phrases:
world rugby is shit
World Rugby is shit
I suppose Rob Sitch follows AFL.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
The IRB or World Rugby or WRF or whatever won the case to own the .rugby top level domain (i.e. .com, .net), so they will probably launch "world.rugby" as the new website.

We should soon be able to have websites like greenandgold.rugby, australia.rugby, and reds.rugby. How people can buy/win those addresses is yet to be known (at least by me) but I assume Dublin will have some control.

http://domainnamewire.com/2014/02/04/donuts-and-famous-four-lose-rugby-domain-name-match/

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Just thinking about this, I wonder if the 'world.rugby' website/domain has any significant influence in the rebranding?

irb.rugby is not as sexy. Maybe an attempt at streamlining all online content?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Needs a culture change as well as a name change if it is to lose its reputation as a bunch of gin soaked old farts.

Most other sports manage quite well with the old FIFA, FINA, NFL style names. Personally it seems to be a rebranding for rebranding sake.

Hope there is cultural change with the name change.
Perhaps your statement proves the point of why it needs a change HJ, it has a reputation of gin soaked old farts (probably one that was earned by the RU ,not the IRB) , and name change will help people not jump to silly conclusions as soon as they see the title. I personally have only actually known one person on the IRB, and he was far from a gin soaked old fart!!

Status
Not open for further replies.