• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia, Dublin, 16 Nov 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We did well against Italy after the bench came on, so we can conclude:
  • Team unchanged
  • Absolutely destroyed by Ireland
Team I hope for:
Robinson, Moore, Kepu, Simmons, Fardy, Mowen, Gill, McCalman, White, To'omua, Tomane, Lealiifano, Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau
Fainga'a, Slipper, Alexander, Timani, Hooper, Genia, Cooper, Cummins

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
  • Team unchanged
Team I hope for:
Robinson, Moore, Kepu, Simmons, Fardy, Mowen, Gill, McCalman, White, To'omua, Tomane, Lealiifano, Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau
Not enough brumbies ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I knew that would be the first comment as I wrote it :p
But seriously, even if the backs are unchanged, we need the change the tight five.

EDIT: For those of you who want to pretend it's almost entirely Brumbies, pretend that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Fainga'a, Timani and Hooper never left.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
  • Team unchanged
Team I hope for:

We were leading by around 20 points when most of the bench came on.

Were we not doing well before that point? Better drop every player that got replaced then - Slipper, Moore, Alexander, Timani, Hooper, Genia, Cooper, Cummins

I assume you agree? Apart from - Moore, Alexander, Hooper of course.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We were leading by around 20 points when most of the bench came on.

Were we not doing well before that point? Better drop every player that got replaced then - Slipper, Moore, Alexander, Timani, Hooper, Genia, Cooper, Cummins

I assume you agree? Apart from - Moore, Alexander, Hooper of course.

Oh come on, there's no need for that. But if you'd like I can explain each and every one of my selections:
Robinson-Moore-Kepu: I wanted to rest Moore but this isn't the game to rely on Fainga'a. Maybe take TPN if he's ready for it. This is the front row specifically for scrummaging, but Robinson and Moore are both solid in defence and at the breakdown, while Kepu is a good runner and has gotten pretty fit under Chieka. Robinson also wins us penalties at the breakdown.
Simmons-Fardy: Two good lineout options, two good breakdown workers, workrate like a loose forward and strength like a lock. Scrums are generally solid when they're in the second row. Both of them are willing and able to win the penalty at the breakdown.
Mowen-Gill-McCalman: Mowen as the captain and the lineout caller, hoping his return to 6 marks some return to the Lions series form. Gill is a defence and breakdown machine who will win us either the ball or a penalty. McCalman works hard around the park and is a reliable 8, if not amazing.
White-To'omua: Giving Genia a rest as an attempt to push him to return to form. Could have been Phipps for all I care, but White has been on the bench and did well against Italy so he gets the nod. With the forward pack being built around shutting their plays down and winning penalties I want someone to kick for touch well and To'omua has shown that is his strong suit. He also is a very strong defencive 10 and that will be needed against the strong running Irish.
Lealiifano-Kuridrani: Lealiifano for goal kicking and his good defencive positioning. With the forwards being picked to win penalties I want a 90% kicker to get points from them. Kuridrani because he offers starch in defence and a constant threat in attack, both on and off the ball.
Tomane-AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper): Tomane is a good defender and can capitalise on a mistake or a gap very, very quickly. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is our best defending winger and a good attacking runner as well.
Folau: Who else - counter-attacks galore. If he tackles well then we'll be fine even if he doesn't get much ball.

Bench:
Fainga'a-Slipper-Alexander: If we've broken them in the forwards by the 60th, then sending them on won't hurt us and will increase our work out wide. If not, they aren't terrible, just not as good as the starters.
Timani-Hooper: There for the killing blows in the last 20. One hurts those he runs into, the other slips by them.
Genia-Cooper-Cummins: Good backline cover, Genia needs a rest but can come on if White screws up. Cooper has been damn good lately and if we've broken their defence by the time he is on he will have a field day. Cummins has heart and can be relied upon for a good run, but doesn't need to get on if Tomane and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are having a good day.

There - I picked the damn team for a game plan, not because I hate players X Y and Z.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Wholesale changes would do more harm than good at this stage.

An argument could be made to give Gill and Robinson a start on tour, drop Timani to the bench if Fardy is back. Folau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are the only two guys that have been there in the backs and could do with a rest. Maybe rest AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for Tomane this week then play him at 15 next week to give Folau a break.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
  • Team unchanged
Team I hope for:

I thought we did quite well before the bench came on to. :confused:

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
  • Team unchanged
Team I hope for:

I'm trying to figure out why you would drop Cooper? Is it for Lilo's kicking ability? that is really the only reason I ca come up with. please enlighten me.

my team:

1. Slipper
  2. Fainga'a (rotation)
  3. Kepu
  4. Timani
  5. Simo
  6. Fardy
  7. Gill
  8. Mowen
  9. White
  10. Cooper
  11. Cummins
  12. To'omua
  13. Kuridrani
  14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
  15. Folau
bench
  1. Moore
  2. Robinson
  3. Alexander
  4. Horwill
  5. Hooper
  6. Genia
  7. Lilo
  8. Tomane
Strong bench. I think this team would get us home

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm trying to figure out why you would drop Cooper? Is it for Lilo's kicking ability? that is really the only reason I ca come up with. please enlighten me.

my team:

1. Slipper
  2. Fainga'a (rotation)
  3. Kepu
  4. Timani
  5. Simo
  6. Fardy
  7. Gill
  8. Mowen
  9. White
  10. Cooper
  11. Cummins
  12. To'omua
  13. Kuridrani
  14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
  15. Folau
bench

1. Moore
  2. Robinson
  3. Alexander
  4. Horwill
  5. Hooper
  6. Genia
  7. Lilo
  8. Tomane
Strong bench. I think this team would get us home

I'd have the same team, but I would keep Moore in the starting lineup and have Robinson over Slipper.........

I think Lilo's goal kicking would be handy, but until Cooper starts to have a shocker we should leave the back line relatively unchanged........

If the weather is bad (which it often is there) then White's boot could be very handy..........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd start Robinson, Gill and maybe Tomane. Slipper at TH cause Alexander is beyond bad.

Tomane seems to be getting back into form..........

It would be tempting to start him over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), but he's still solid and its' nice to have some firepower off the bench.........

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd certainly like to see some changes, but last night was the game to give players like Phipps, Foley and Gill a run but we "couldn't" because we'd gone so badly last week. Ireland will be much tougher than Italy now they've had a hitout and started refining their new gameplan/coaching set-up. But I suggest we do as follows:

1. Robinson 2. TPN 3. Kepu 16. Moore 17. Slipper 18. Alexander. This puts a strong scrum on first and allows us to see how TPN is going. Bringing Moore on when it is appropriate depending on TPN's fitness and injury status.​
4. Simmons 5. Timani 19. Horwill. I would have Horwill and Timani share the role - Kev's the better player but not playing well at the moment. Timani to start for impact and to be replaced as soon as he starts to look ineffective. You might replace Timani with Douglas if so inclined, Douglas was good off the bench last week.​
6. Fardy 7. Gill 8. Mowen 20. Hooper - only because Hooper has played too much rugby this year and Gill is quality. I would bring Hooper on with 25 to go in place of Mowen and play two fetchers to finish off. Fardy goes to 8 and Gill to 6.​
9. White 21. Phipps. I could not take another chance that Genia will box kick. :) In the likely conditions (wet/greasy) White is better suited.​
10. Cooper 11. Tomane 12. To'omua 13. Kuridrani 14. Cummins 15. Folau 22. Lilo 23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). If all is going well AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can replace Folau after 50 both need to manage their workloads. Lilo should play 10 if he comes on for Cooper. For me To'omua is the stronger 12 and should stay there.​

Conditions are likely to be wet/soft so long sprigs are the go. Ireland will be a step-up in class from Italy, particularly in the backs, so we'll need to maintain the consistency of effort this week, not something we've got much of a reputation for.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Tomane seems to be getting back into form....

It would be tempting to start him over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), but he's still solid and its' nice to have some firepower off the bench...

I think you have to keep AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) around until Kuridrani's defence improves.

What do we all think about Locks?

Fardy back to 6? Simmons to lock, Timani/Horwil to the bench?

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
My Team

1 - Robinson
2 - Moore
3 - Slipper
4 - Horwill
5 - Simmons
6 - Fardy
7 - Hooper
8 - Mowen

9 - White
10 - Cooper
11 - Cummins
12 - To'omua
13 - Kurindrani
14 - Tomane
15 - Folau

16 - Alexander
17 - Polatu-Nau
18 - Kepu
19 - Douglas
20 - Gill
21 - Genia
22 - Lilo
23 - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Could do with a rest)

Only other changes i might consider would be giving Gill a start over Hooper, and Douglas starting over Horwill. Having said that I still expect to see Alexander starting.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Happy with that team. Happier that most of you didn't have a go for no reason.

No reason?

Apart from you obvious bias and self confessed hate for Genia?

Oh and you've dropped one of our top performers in Cooper to move To'omua to 10 even though he has looked much better at 12! Did you not see the difference in the backline structure when Cooper went off?

Status
Not open for further replies.