• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crowd

Ireland 12-16 South Africa
IRELAND (12) 12

• Pens: Sexton 4
SOUTH AFRICA (3) 16

• Try: Pienaar
  • Con: Lambie
  • Pens: Lambie 3
South Africa fought back from nine points in arrears at half-time to wear down Ireland in the Test in Dublin.
As the Springboks misfired, Jonathan Sexton kicked Ireland into a 12-3 lead by half-time although he did miss a further penalty before the break.
The South Africans were much-improved after the break and Ruan Pienaar's try helped cut the margin to two points.

full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20260835

Does anyone know why Ireland was wearing blue? It's was their home game, surely South Africa would have had to wear a alternative if the reason was because of a clash.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think you will find that in International Rugby, the touring team always gets to wear their first choice jerseys and the host country's team will change their colours if necessary. Weren't Ireland wearing black?

C

Crowd

That rule is silly if true IMO.

It looked pretty blue to me.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
black_is_the_new_green.jpg

Heres a lovely photo

C

Crowd

So it is true that the touring side gets to wear their home jersey?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
So it is true that the touring side gets to wear their home jersey?

Yeah. Goes back a few years, the idea being that a touring team only has what they have carried, the home team can organise another kit easier. Makes sense when they used to sail over and spend months.

I think it's a good tradition.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some touring teams nowdays have more gear than the Rolling Stones.

But the "tradition" comes from the olden days, when the Touring team had about one suitcase and a sports bag for game day each and the Manager used to arrange for the Playing strip to be laundered after each game.

All Team gear was carted from "home" by the long suffering Team manager and Gear Steward (if they were lucky).

C

Crowd

Thanks for the replies. If its Tradition then I guess it's best to keep it that way. I guess I'm just use to seeing it in reverse in other sports. Cheers

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Thanks for the replies. If its Tradition then I guess it's best to keep it that way. I guess I'm just use to seeing it in reverse in other sports. Cheers

Where it does get entertaining is at world cups. One side gets designated as the home side and wears their alternate strip. eg NZ v Sco at 1995 WC featured NZ in white.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yeah. Goes back a few years, the idea being that a touring team only has what they have carried, the home team can organise another kit easier. Makes sense when they used to sail over and spend months. I think it's a good tradition.

Is this tradition restricted to test matches? Now I think about it Scotland used to change to playing in white with fine blue hoops against the ABs in Scotland, and the ABs played in white with black piping against Scotland in New Zealand.

I've written elsewhere this should be SOP for all rugby matches: the visiting side should take one kit only. The home side has home ground advantage for starters, they can dig up another jumper from their kit room. There's no need for rugby to mindlessly follow soccer on this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.