• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland vs Springbokke @ Aviva

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
$_20.JPG

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bok team will be the same one as the one that beat the All Blacks. Last time was two years back in Heyneke's first year as coach. The Bok team that day:
*Springbok starting XV v Ireland, Dublin November 2012 (won 16-12): 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jaco Taute, 12 Jean de Villiers (capt), 11 Francois Hougaard, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Juandre Kruger, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 CJ van der Linde.
Bokke have moved on since then and hopefull they will keep up the gameplan and form they are at the moment.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Ireland have a lot of injuries for this, particularly in the forwards. We'll likely see Kearney, Bowe, Henshaw, D'Arcy, Zebo, Sexton, Murray, Heaslip, Henry, O'Mahony, O'Connell, Toner, Ross, Best, McGrath

Ireland are the current 6 Nations Championships and have lost once this year. Joe Schmidts record against the SANZAR nations reads 0-2 with this his first meeting against the Boks.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Is Henshaw any good?

Seem to think I read something about him a while back.

Don't know Henry, Toner or McGrath

Boks also have lots of injuries. It's the reality of the game now.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Is Henshaw any good?

Seem to think I read something about him a while back.

Don't know Henry, Toner or McGrath

Boks also have lots of injuries. It's the reality of the game now.

Henshaw is raw but improving, tends to shot out of the line in defense looking for the big hits a bit too much for my liking. Very direct and athletic centre. BOD is a fan and has been doing one on one training with him if the rumours are to be believed!

Henry is a dogged openside who started out as a number 8 so is a fairly decent ball carrier. He has been one of the best 7s in the Heineken Cup in recent years but is prone to giving away stupid penalties.

Toner is a beanpole lock who assures you of ball on your lineout, if the throw is straight, and he is very skillful for a tight 5 forward. However there are still questions about his carrying.

McGrath is a young loosehead who would be pushing Cian Healy hard for a spot if he were fit. He'd be first choice in all the other NH countries IMO. He is probably a better scrummager than Healy but doesn't have his ball carrying ballast.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
sport24
The Springbok team to face Ireland in Dublin is:
15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 Jan Serfontein, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Teboho “Oupa” Mohoje, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Bakkies Botha, 20 Schalk Burger, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 JP Pietersen
Stats and facts:
• The Springbok starting team boasts a total of 672 Test caps (289 in the backline and 383 in the forwards), while there are a further 316 caps worth of experience on the bench.
• South Africa and Ireland have played each other 21 times since 1906, with the Springboks winning 16 Tests, losing four and one was drawn. The Springboks have scored 417 points and 60 tries and conceded 248 points and 24 tries for an average score of 20-12.
• South Africa and Ireland last met on 10 November 2012 at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin. The Springboks won 16-12.
• Jean de Villiers will extend his record as the most-capped Springbok centre, with 87 Tests in this position and will captain South Africa for the 31st time, placing him third behind John Smit (83) and Gary Teichmann (36).
• Victor Matfield will extend his own record as the most capped Springbok in history (117 Tests). He will also extend his record of 117 Tests as a lock and will also extend his record as the oldest Springbok ever at 37 years & 146 days.
• Bryan Habana will extend his record as the most-capped Springbok wing, with 102 Tests in this position. If he scores a try, he will extend his record of 56 Test tries for South Africa.
• If he scores a try Bismarck du Plessis will extend his record of nine Test tries for South Africa as a hooker. Bismarck and his older brother Jannie will extend their record of playing together in 40 Tests for the Springboks. Bismarck, Jannie and Tendai Mtawarira will also extend their record of 15 tests in the starting line-up as a front-row trio for South Africa.
• If he goes on as a flank, Schalk Burger will extend his own record as the most-capped Springbok flanker in history (71 caps). If he goes on as a flank and scores a try, he will become the sole record-holder for most Test tries as a flanker (11), a record he currently shares with Juan Smith.
• Willie le Roux, Cornal Hendricks, Duane Vermeulen, Jannie du Plessis and Bismarck du Plessis have played in all nine Tests for the Springboks in 2014. Bryan Habana and Tendai Mtawarira have both missed only one Test in 2014.
• Schalk Burger (Jnr) and Cobus Reinach (both on the bench) are sons of former Springboks. Schalk Burger (Snr) played six Tests for South Africa (1984-1986) and the late Jaco Reinach four Tests for South Africa in 1986. They played together in all four Tests against the New Zealand Cavaliers in 1986.
• For Pat Lambie this is a return to the city where he made his Test debut off the bench against Ireland in 2010.
• It will be the third time in history that a Springbok team will have three centurions in the starting line-up. The two previous occasions were against Australia and New Zealand in the Castle Lager Rugby Championship earlier this year.
• Adriaan Strauss played against his cousin Richardt Strauss when the Springboks and Ireland last met in Dublin on 10 November, 2012. They are likely to meet each other again as Richardt is in the Ireland squad for this Test match.
• It will be Heyneke Meyer’s 34th Test in charge of the Springboks since he took over in 2012. Of the previous 33 Tests South Africa have won 24, lost seven and drawn twice. His winning percentage of 73% is second only to Kitch Christie’s 100% (14 Tests 1994-1995) since 1992.
• The referee is Romain Poite of France. It will be his fifth Test involving South Africa. In previous Tests the Springboks have won three and lost one. His last Test involving South Africa was in June this year against Wales in Durban - a game that the Springboks won 38-16.
Springbok Test match records in Dublin:
Most points – 12 by Percy Montgomery (3c, 2p) against Ireland on 28 November, 1998 and Percy Montgomery again on 13 November, 2004 (4p)
Most tries – three by Jan Stegmann and “Boetie” McHardy against Ireland on 30 November, 1912.
Most conversions – three Gerhard Morkel against Ireland on 30 November, 1912 and by Percy Montgomery against Ireland on 28 November, 1998.
Most penalty goals – four by Percy Montgomery against Ireland on 13 November, 2004
Most drop goals – one by Hannes Brewis against Ireland on 8 December, 1951 and by Morne Steyn against Ireland on 28 November, 2009.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I've seen enough hyped Bok teams giving pear-shaped performances so I won't make any bold claims here. There has been a lot of talking about being rested and having had time together and a training camp and all that, but as comforting as that is to know it's also sometimes our downfall when we believe our own hype.

Sometimes injuries make it harder for the opposition to prepare because unknown players can be more dangerous for that very reason. Given Ireland's injuries and their desire to prove the result against the All Blacks was not a one-off we should anticipate better than what we expect.

I still believe the Springboks will win but I'm glad Ireland is not our last game of the tour.

A proper scare will set the minds right for England at Twickenham.

Expect your heart's health to be tested.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Nice to see consistency. Well done Heyneke Meyer.

On paper we should beat the Oirish but it's always close against them.

We could easily slip up if the pack isn't up for it. The Oirish pack always fires up big time against us.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Boks bench will see them home, game will be tight for 60 minutes then the Boks will pull away

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I'm glad Ireland is not our last game of the tour.
The Iere is the 6N champs, myself would have preferred them last on tour. Thats when the touring team have adjust and jelled as a team. You want the easier teams first on tour.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
15. Rob Kearney
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Jared Payne
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. Simon Zebo
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray
1. Jack McGrath
2. Sean Cronin
3. Mike Ross
4. Devin Toner
5. Paul O’Connell (capt.)
6. Peter O’Mahony
7. Chris Henry
8. Jamie Heaslip
Replacements:
16. Richardt Strauss
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. Rodney Ah You
19. Mike McCarthy
20. Rhys Ruddock
21. Eoin Reddan
22. Ian Madigan
23. Felix Jones

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
I love that Paul O'Connell is still getting his old arse around the field. One of my favourite players in world rugby.

Boks to win this by 15+.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'm with you S120, not sure why, but I always liked O'Connell, perhaps because I a fan of real grafters in rugby, and don't believe they get credit they deserve!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Strauss nephews at each other at some stage? Ds Trimble and lack of Munster players and the Bokke may edge the Iere.

Status
Not open for further replies.