• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Is this the worst WC for ref moaning??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say I just going back over the cup so far, I know I would of missed a lot of complaints but I've heard, Welsh going ballistic over a penalty that some thought they saw go over on there TV, (I think it looked like it missed, but...) and seemed to think they would of won, Irish/Wallabies game, Bryce apparently caused Wallabies to lose, South Africa/Wallabies, this time Bryce is bad boy according to Saffas and caused their loss, Samoa/SA where it was Nigel Owen's fault that Samoa lost re the red card on Williams, now we have Wales/France and Warburton red carded and Rolliand has caused Wales exit. Couple of things I will say, I not saying refs are right all the time, and the people that sit in front of TVs are not more expert, but a couple of things still play on my mind. Like Ben Alexander saying he knew why he was getting pena;lised against Irish, and he seemed to of fixed it against SA, Welsh missed kicks etc etc. I said to my fellow kiwis that Barnes didn't cost us WC in 07, the players did, same here for games mentioned, I think it starting to getting worse.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Have to say I just going back over the cup so far, I know I would of missed a lot of complaints but I've heard, Welsh going ballistic over a penalty that some thought they saw go over on there TV, (I think it looked like it missed, but...) and seemed to think they would of won, Irish/Wallabies game, Bryce apparently caused Wallabies to lose, South Africa/Wallabies, this time Bryce is bad boy according to Saffas and caused their loss, Samoa/SA where it was Nigel Owen's fault that Samoa lost re the red card on Williams, now we have Wales/France and Warburton red carded and Rolliand has caused Wales exit. Couple of things I will say, I not saying refs are right all the time, and the people that sit in front of TVs are not more expert, but a couple of things still play on my mind. Like Ben Alexander saying he knew why he was getting pena;lised against Irish, and he seemed to of fixed it against SA, Welsh missed kicks etc etc. I said to my fellow kiwis that Barnes didn't cost us WC in 07, the players did, same here for games mentioned, I think it starting to getting worse.

You have a short memory. Last RWC the press over here kept on the line- NH refs bad vs SH refs good. So, what do you think now? Are they any better.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm sure some people will come on here and try to justify it...

There are so many events in each game, one or two simply cannot be blamed as the cause of a loss.

At the end of the day, these are the best refs we have and they will ensure a flowing game of rugby. It is up to the players to do the rest.

P

pete88

Drives me nuts when people's first reaction to a loss is to blame the ref, or at least to say he was shit. Even when through gritted teeth they say "yes we should have won anyway", people will still piss and moan about referees. It's always been a pet hate of mine, from team mates in U13 rugby to 60 million South Africans saying we bribed Bryce. Maybe it's the non-walking cricketer in me, but I believe what goes around comes around and whinging about it is not only annoying but pretty hypocritical.

In fairness our overseas posters who have been on the wrong end of things haven't peddled bizarre conspiracy theories or concentrated on the ref. It's been good, says a lot about the posters as well.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You have a short memory. Last RWC the press over here kept on the line- NH refs bad vs SH refs good. So, what do you think now? Are they any better.

I remember Cardiff, but didn't seem to be used as reason for losing as often.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
I'm sure some people will come on here and try to justify it...

There are so many events in each game, one or two simply cannot be blamed as the cause of a loss.

At the end of the day, these are the best refs we have and they will ensure a flowing game of rugby.
It is up to the players to do the rest.

Not intending to be argumentitive, but, this comes up a lot and I have to add my 2cents worth.

I want to watch RUGBY UNION.
I don't care if it "flows" or not.
Not ALL Rugby is played by the backs. I have a big appetite for forward play.
It has never been written in the Laws of Rugby that it has to flow.
The IRB instructing the refs to ensure the game is fast flowing etc is going to ruin Rugby Union, they are already refusing to reset the scrums.

If you want to watch guaranteed flowing rugby we have a game for that.
In fact I think it has just started, it is called Rugby League.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
We are heading in the same direction as soccer it seems. Which maybe is inevitable given the expansion of rugby, and when people treat it as more than just a game.

Not intending to be argumentitive, but, this comes up a lot and I have to add my 2cents worth.

That isn't at all what I meant. When I say "flowing rugby", I just mean a game that functions within the laws and "flows" like a normal game should. I say this because managing a test match is an almost impossible task that only a few humans on the planet can actually do to a decent standard.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

The IRB instructing the refs to ensure the game is fast flowing etc is going to ruin Rugby Union, they are already refusing to reset the scrums.

I have never seen where IRB has instructed refs to ensure game is fast flowing, would certainly appreciate any links to it.

P

pete88

There's a difference between good forward play and slow forward play. I love watching big piggies smash the fringes, I don't like seeing 5 thirty second rucks in a row. 99% of the time that happens because people are breaking the laws.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
We are heading in the same direction as soccer it seems. Which maybe is inevitable given the expansion of rugby, and when people treat it as more than just a game.

That isn't at all what I meant. When I say "flowing rugby", I just mean a game that functions within the laws and "flows" like a normal game should. I say this because managing a test match is an almost impossible task that only a few humans on the planet can actually do to a decent standard.

Understand what you are saying that a game that flows well is one in an ideal world where it all works.
But you do understand what I am saying don't you?

We can't let our game be ruined by rules to keep the mums happy and tv ratings high.

T

Train Without a Station

Last World Cup the quality of the games was pretty heavily scrutinized, this time round it's the quality of the officials, while the quality of the games is being lauded. At least it's heading in the right direction.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
I have never seen where IRB has instructed refs to ensure game is fast flowing, would certainly appreciate any links to it.

It stated being discussed about a month before this world cup started.
If you dig about you will find some articles about it.
The IRB wants fast games that are held up for nothing.
Also why injuried players are lying about the pitch bleeding while the game goes on.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
There's a difference between good forward play and slow forward play. I love watching big piggies smash the fringes, I don't like seeing 5 thirty second rucks in a row. 99% of the time that happens because people are breaking the laws.

Why the hell not?

What ever happend to good long phase Rugby.
I wouldn't care if there where 100 rucks in a row so long as our men guard their ball.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
We can't let our game be ruined by rules to keep the mums happy and tv ratings high.

We already have though, this is the thing. The 'criminalisation' of rucking, and the gradual introduction of the power hit in scrums, have led to a situation where the ball is only in play for 29 of the 80 minutes. There are too many opportunities for players to infringe, and it is slowing the game down.

Rugby wont die, but it wont prosper in the same way if we stick with the current law interpretations.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
We already have though this is the thing. The 'criminalisation' of rucking, and the gradual introduction of the power hit in scrums, have led to a situation where we have games where the ball is only in play for 29 of the 80 minutes. We cant go on like this.

Maybe I am just living in the past then.

Any suggestions?

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)

Couple of points here. I really HATE baabaas games, where flowing rugby is key and oucome doesn't matter. it's crap. give me a 9-6 victory or loss. the famous 1973 game vs Darkness was brilliant because it was really Lions side and the outcome mattered.

Second, there is a worrying trend towards 'theatrics' (as seen last night) and loss of respect for the ref including screaming in face to obtain an oucome (for which press and observers are to blame).

these are issues that need addressing. Am always impressed by netball umpires. they don't take any shit. If anyone speaks to them they can give a penalty shot.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)

Joubert seems to improving. Walsh sometimes gets this right. Barnes should get the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.