• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2014

2014 Champions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclops

Stan Wickham (3)
Full report from Pius v Pats 1st XV.

This was a tough physical game. There was some pre-game 'hype' and Pius came out firing. Pat's scrambling defence held out for the first 10 minutes; but Pius were on fire and crossed to make it 7-0. This was a great lead against the breeze and the first half belonged to Pius. Pat's seemed rattled by the intensity of the rugby and the strategically placed sledging squads. (poor form, squealing during the penalty shot).

The ref was quite firm at the breakdown; tackler and ball-carrier were kept honest and a yellow card was issued, to a Pius offender. Unfortunately, that same offender fouled again, at a Pat's try-scoring opportunity. He was given red, more for coincidence rather than planned fouls; but there was no mistaken identity, this was the repeat offender. Pat's held their line intact, after that, and managed to go to oranges at 7-0. Pat's discipline was the only thing that kept them in the game. Things weren't going right and Pius were 'out-enthusing' them.

In the second half, Pats began to regain some composure. But Pius defence was everywhere. Attacks were snuffed-out in the centre and out wide. Pius had 14 men but it looked like 18. Their commitment to defence was a feature and Pats found it difficult to penetrate. Early in the half, Pats scored a converted try and took a penalty goal to lead 10-7, but it was still anyone's game. Gradually, Pat's got back to basics and improved their ball retention. A few gaps started to open and Pats crossed for 2 tries mid-way through the second half. Pius were not done; their backs made a number of breaks and they looked like scoring a number of times. But it was Pats defence that was now holding strong.

Meanwhile, the attrition rate was high; players from both sides were limping off and a blood-bin resulted in some unusual headwear for one Pius warrior. Pius fired back with a late try to bring it to 22-14. The fastest conversion in history was followed by Pius racing back to half-way for the restart. The ref blew full-time, much too soon for the Pius come-back.

I had the misfortune of witnessing a Pius punter berating the linesman after the match; regarding the red card and other decisions. Pius supporters should be asking themselves why a schoolboy, with a hanky, was officiating on the far touch-line. Referees, at this level, need competent assistants. This is the only short-coming that I saw amongst the officials. The Pius team 'played their guts out' on the paddock and they did their school proud. Not so, the irate punter.

Pats took the points and some injuries. With a heavy playing calendar going forward, Pats need to improve their ball retention and build structured phases with smarter passing.

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
Full report from Pius v Pats 1st XV.

This was a tough physical game. There was some pre-game 'hype' and Pius came out firing. Pat's scrambling defence held out for the first 10 minutes; but Pius were on fire and crossed to make it 7-0. This was a great lead against the breeze and the first half belonged to Pius. Pat's seemed rattled by the intensity of the rugby and the strategically placed sledging squads. (poor form, squealing during the penalty shot).

The ref was quite firm at the breakdown; tackler and ball-carrier were kept honest and a yellow card was issued, to a Pius offender. Unfortunately, that same offender fouled again, at a Pat's try-scoring opportunity. He was given red, more for coincidence rather than planned fouls; but there was no mistaken identity, this was the repeat offender. Pat's held their line intact, after that, and managed to go to oranges at 7-0. Pat's discipline was the only thing that kept them in the game. Things weren't going right and Pius were 'out-enthusing' them.

In the second half, Pats began to regain some composure. But Pius defence was everywhere. Attacks were snuffed-out in the centre and out wide. Pius had 14 men but it looked like 18. Their commitment to defence was a feature and Pats found it difficult to penetrate. Early in the half, Pats scored a converted try and took a penalty goal to lead 10-7, but it was still anyone's game. Gradually, Pat's got back to basics and improved their ball retention. A few gaps started to open and Pats crossed for 2 tries mid-way through the second half. Pius were not done; their backs made a number of breaks and they looked like scoring a number of times. But it was Pats defence that was now holding strong.

Meanwhile, the attrition rate was high; players from both sides were limping off and a blood-bin resulted in some unusual headwear for one Pius warrior. Pius fired back with a late try to bring it to 22-14. The fastest conversion in history was followed by Pius racing back to half-way for the restart. The ref blew full-time, much too soon for the Pius come-back.

I had the misfortune of witnessing a Pius punter berating the linesman after the match; regarding the red card and other decisions. Pius supporters should be asking themselves why a schoolboy, with a hanky, was officiating on the far touch-line. Referees, at this level, need competent assistants. This is the only short-coming that I saw amongst the officials. The Pius team 'played their guts out' on the paddock and they did their school proud. Not so, the irate punter.

Pats took the points and some injuries. With a heavy playing calendar going forward, Pats need to improve their ball retention and build structured phases with smarter passing.

Excellent report from Cyclops, but you did forget one thing ... geesh it was cold!!! The red card (two yellows in reality) was unfortunate for the Pius player. I wonder what the result would have been with 15 on 15? Key injuries to Pats players is a concern ... #9 was out on the weekend and #10 sustained an ankle injury. Jensen, Carbo (again - I agree with post #325) and Norah had outstanding games. Pius were great across the paddock - considering they played more than half the game a man down, and a forward at that, was simply incredible.

In the younger age groups in the 'As', Pats took out the 16s and 15s, whilst Pius took out the 14s and 13s.

By the looks of it, the whole 16As comp looks pretty even across all schools - probably the most even comp in the age groups - really looking forward to the 1st XV comp in 2015 and 2016.

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)
Most disappointing part of this Pius v Pats fixture was the unspostmanlike conduct from the Pius Supporters. The endless berating of the Pats boys from the stands was, IMHO, an extremely bad look for the school.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Most disappointing part of this Pius v Pats fixture was the unspostmanlike conduct from the Pius Supporters. The endless berating of the Pats boys from the stands was, IMHO, an extremely bad look for the school.

I also was at the game, or at least I thought I was because I did not notice "endless berating" from the stands. All I heard was a group of Pats mums yelling out com on Pats, followed by a group of Pius mums yelling out common Pius.

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)
I also was at the game, or at least I thought I was because I did not notice "endless berating" from the stands. All I heard was a group of Pats mums yelling out com on Pats, followed by a group of Pius mums yelling out common Pius.

Whale Berry, did you happen to be present when, for use of an obvious example and to back up my previous post, Pius supporters thought it necessary to perform a loud noise while a Pats player attempted a penalty conversion? This is just one of many examples that visiting players and supporters were subjected to during the game. Again, it was a bad look for the school.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
I felt the game today illustrated what can be wrong with the game in the modern era, the refs can determine the results rather than the skill and ability of the players.

Not taking anything away from the Pats team who were clearly the bigger and arguably the more skill full team nor do I wish to undermine the Pius team who kept them selves in the game through sheer enthusiasm.

I feltl the 2nd Yellow was at best a 50/50, call and was not necessary.

There were a number of penalties conceded by both teams at the breakdown, (this is the issue, with the number breakdown laws in effect, many times there are multiple infringements at any one breakdown), the ref I assume issued the usual one more and your off.
The Pius no 6 was the next one who was caught and received his yellow, no argument with the process. He wasn't the "serial offender"as a previous post implies.

When he came back on the Pius no 6 made a tackle 2 mtrs out from the Pius line, got to his feet and competed for the ball.
The ref immediately penalised him for "not releasing", straight to the pocket for the 2nd yellow.

I don't know the Pius kid but he must be very good if he can make a tackle, get to his feet, compete for the ball and still hang on to tackled player
No doubt others will see it differently, that is the problem.

Did he infringe, may be, maybe not but is was at best marginal and certainly was not a cynical foul.
Did it deserve a yellow in my opinion no.
The result was shattering a kid who was trying his guts out and changed the outcome of what was a great game of footy.

It is school boy footy not bloody Super Rugby.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Whale Berry, did you happen to be present when, for use of an obvious example and to back up my previous post, Pius supporters thought it necessary to perform a loud noise while a Pats player attempted a penalty conversion? This is just one of many examples that visiting players and supporters were subjected to during the game. Again, it was a bad look for the school.

Yes I was present and if you want to split hairs.
You stated the "endless berating" for the stands, I am stating there was NO endless berating from the stands, who were mainly parents.

Yes there was loud supporting from the kids on the side lines, for the most part good on them. It was mostly cheering on their team.

Do i agree/disagree with making a noise whilst the opposition is taking a penalty, mixed thoughts but I can say people in glass house shouldn't throw stones.

My son was harassed by Pats supporters at Hudson Oval last year whilst taking conversions, so perhaps it seems to be the done these days.

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)

Firstly, I think you have mistakenly posted your comment but accidentally added it to Tahs123 original post. Secondly, an infringement is an infringement no matter what level of rugby is being played. This Pius player that received a red card, while unfortunate on a personal level, was the appropriate decision IMHO. Pius were defending their own line brilliantly in the late second half and unfortunately there were some infringements during this period, the referee has no option but to put his hand in his pocket if it happens too often. Also, to release the player being tackled is the difficult part, holding on is the easy and lazy option, therefore why it has been wiped out of the game since rule changes in 2011.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Firstly, I think you have mistakenly posted your comment but accidentally added it to Tahs123 original post. Secondly, an infringement is an infringement no matter what level of rugby is being played. This Pius player that received a red card, while unfortunate on a personal level, was the appropriate decision IMHO. Pius were defending their own line brilliantly in the late second half and unfortunately there were some infringements during this period, the referee has no option but to put his hand in his pocket if it happens too often. Also, to release the player being tackled is the difficult part, holding on is the easy and lazy option, therefore why it has been wiped out of the game since rule changes in 2011.

See what you mean will edit the post, we will have to agree to disagree on the red.
I do disagree though with "an infringement is an infringement " regardless of the level.
I do ref a few games during the year up and down the grades and I certainly approach the different levels of rugby differently i.e. lower levels of subbies vs higher levels vs school boys.
Yes in most cases the infringement happens but it is what you do about it is the difference.
E.g. if the team who has the ball still keeps the ball why blow a penalty, even if they are "slowed down" with the infringement I would handle a 5th grade game differently than a 1 st grade game.
Heaps of other examples of game management.

stev-o-78

Frank Row (1)
excuse my ignorance, but i have never seen a red card for repeated team infringement, let alone in the first half of a game. seemed cruel on both Pius and the player involved

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Further to the ref in the Pius game, I checked through the appointments from earlier this year and apart from one 3rd grade colts game all his previous games have been lower grade, lower division subbies matches.
I am not sure what the school boy appointment policy is but I would have thought an IAS 1st XV fixture would be pretty high up the list.

Robert uribarri

Bob McCowan (2)
Bugger, just looked at auggies draw for Saturday, my boys st.gregs 3rd and 4ths don't have a game, I thought they were huge in rugby in skill and depth, obviously not

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Bugger, just looked at auggies draw for Saturday, my boys st.gregs 3rd and 4ths don't have a game, I thought they were huge in rugby in skill and depth, obviously not

Augustine's have never gone beyond 3rds. They usually have 4 teams in 13s & 14s, 3 in 15s and 16s and 3 in opens. Soccer is the biggest winter sport at the school.

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)
excuse my ignorance, but i have never seen a red card for repeated team infringement, let alone in the first half of a game. seemed cruel on both Pius and the player involved
I will excuse your ignorance. Too many examples to name of red cards being given for repeated infringements. I am getting the feeling that someone is trying to blame the referee for the final score of the game. St Pius were quite clearly outplayed in the second half.

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)
Further to the ref in the Pius game, I checked through the appointments from earlier this year and apart from one 3rd grade colts game all his previous games have been lower grade, lower division subbies matches.
I am not sure what the school boy appointment policy is but I would have thought an IAS 1st XV fixture would be pretty high up the list.
If he was a more highly reputable referee would you have taken so angrily to his decision? Or are you trying to find the appropriate facts to defend your argument of referee incompetency? Commenting on your earlier post: "if the team who has the ball still keeps the ball why blow a penalty, even if they are "slowed down". The reason for this penalty being given in a game is simply because of a loss of momentum.

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)
My son was harassed by Pats supporters at Hudson Oval last year whilst taking conversions, so perhaps it seems to be the done these days.
So because it has happened before that makes in acceptable? If that logic was applied to all rugby games we would no longer be playing the great sport.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
If he was a more highly reputable referee would you have taken so angrily to his decision? Or are you trying to find the appropriate facts to defend your argument of referee incompetency? Commenting on your earlier post: "if the team who has the ball still keeps the ball why blow a penalty, even if they are "slowed down". The reason for this penalty being given in a game is simply because of a loss of momentum.
IMO When you continually let infrigements go that have a material affect on the style and type of play and team are trying to play, you end up with frustrate players, then you get frustrated supporter/parents, then unfortunately as a referee you bring the supporters/parents into the game. then the players overreact to infrigements and then the game gets out of hand. The speed with which you react determines the level of control you have as a referee. The level and standard of play also comes into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.