• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2014

2014 Champions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
Further to the ref in the Pius game, I checked through the appointments from earlier this year and apart from one 3rd grade colts game all his previous games have been lower grade, lower division subbies matches.
I am not sure what the school boy appointment policy is but I would have thought an IAS 1st XV fixture would be pretty high up the list.

ISA 1st XV (and 2nd XV) fixtures in Sydney are appointed by the NSW Refs. They are normally Level 2 refs with experience and knowledge. But it's a tough gig no matter what game they do. They usually do a pretty good job. Most ISA 1st XV refs have had similar experience to what you have researched.

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
IMO When you continually let infrigements go that have a material affect on the style and type of play and team are trying to play, you end up with frustrate players, then you get frustrated supporter/parents, then unfortunately as a referee you bring the supporters/parents into the game. then the players overreact to infrigements and then the game gets out of hand. The speed with which you react determines the level of control you have as a referee. The level and standard of play also comes into consideration.

100% correct S'UP. Continual 'slow ball' at the ruck caused by defenders not rolling away fast enough, not releasing and the like ruins the game be it Super Rugby, Shute Shield, 1st XV or the 14Ds. The ref has a duty to provide the attacking team with time and space to play running rugby. It's better to watch!!!

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
So because it has happened before that makes in acceptable? If that logic was applied to all rugby games we would no longer be playing the great sport.
Don't you find it a touch hypocritical to bag Pius boys for making a noise when a goal is being taken, yet your own supporters (adults and students) have engaged in the same behaviour.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
If he was a more highly reputable referee would you have taken so angrily to his decision? Or are you trying to find the appropriate facts to defend your argument of referee incompetency? Commenting on your earlier post: "if the team who has the ball still keeps the ball why blow a penalty, even if they are "slowed down". The reason for this penalty being given in a game is simply because of a loss of momentum.
No I was quite simply asking the question on what basis the ref ISA refs were appointed.
Also at no point did I say the ref was incompetent. They are your words not mine.

Lineoutlength

Bob McCowan (2)
16s Report

45 Pats - Pius 5
Quite an easy win for the Pats boys. Pats, although playing terribly, were superior to their opponents in all aspects of the game. #10 had another great game, always questioning the oppositions defence. His consistent performance was rewarded with getting a run in the 1st XV, in which, on debut, bagged himself a meat pie. #13 was solid as always in defence, creating the highlight of the match with a crunching tackle leaving cracks all over ground and half the Pius team seeing stars. Last weeks #12 had to make the big move to #15 this week, and it was like he had played there all his life. This player has definitely proved his versatility this season, and selectors are noticing him, hence his selection in the u16s Sydney team. In the forwards, #4, also the Pats captain, left the field with a hard knock within the first 5 minutes. However, to anyone watching, it would seem that #3 was the captain. His hard runs and great talk to put off the opposition (in the spirit of the game) was great to see. Some would say he was working, 'like a one-armed brick layer in Baghdad'. Pats 16s remain undefeated.

i agree the pius boys were outplayed on the day, however i dont recall bone crunching tackles or anything special in any sense. yes pats were the better team , however theyre defence when the pius backs actually had the ball was not to crash hot. the pius boys failed to score due to lack of support. however IMO the one try pius scored was arguably the try of the game.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
I will excuse your ignorance. Too many examples to name of red cards being given for repeated infringements. I am getting the feeling that someone is trying to blame the referee for the final score of the game. St Pius were quite clearly outplayed in the second half.
The referees decision had an impact on the final score, would the score have been the same if it was 15 vs 15 for most of the game, who knows.
As I said before clearly Pats were the team with the most ability, Pius kept in the game through enthusiasm.
To say Pats clearly outplayed Pius in the second half is IMO an exaggeration.
The score was 10 - 7' until Pius ran out of legs with about 15 mins to go ( guessing on the time), when Pats scored two very good tries.
Pius then came back strong in the last two mins to score.

I say again it was a good tough game (played with very little niggle) I just wish we had the opportunity to see it played 15 on 15.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
16s Report

45 Pats - Pius 5
Quite an easy win for the Pats boys. Pats, although playing terribly, were superior to their opponents in all aspects of the game. #10 had another great game, always questioning the oppositions defence. His consistent performance was rewarded with getting a run in the 1st XV, in which, on debut, bagged himself a meat pie. #13 was solid as always in defence, creating the highlight of the match with a crunching tackle leaving cracks all over ground and half the Pius team seeing stars. Last weeks #12 had to make the big move to #15 this week, and it was like he had played there all his life. This player has definitely proved his versatility this season, and selectors are noticing him, hence his selection in the u16s Sydney team. In the forwards, #4, also the Pats captain, left the field with a hard knock within the first 5 minutes. However, to anyone watching, it would seem that #3 was the captain. His hard runs and great talk to put off the opposition (in the spirit of the game) was great to see. Some would say he was working, 'like a one-armed brick layer in Baghdad'. Pats 16s remain undefeated.

With out doubt Pats 16's were the better team, far more skill full and very well drilled.
I do find it strange to talk them up to the degree that you have, I agree with Lineout length.

One thing is for sure no one could accuse Pats supporters of being gracious winners.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
I agree this age group from St Pats has been strong for the last few years. Should be a strong 1st IV in the next couple of years.

Just curious, does anyone know how many of these U16s made it into the ISA team, and then further, the NSW Schoolboys team?

Lineoutlength

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree this age group from St Pats has been strong for the last few years. Should be a strong 1st IV in the next couple of years.

Just curious, does anyone know how many of these U16s made it into the ISA team, and then further, the NSW Schoolboys team?

two or three from pats, one from pius, if ur asking about that games teams. no NSW selections unfortunately, but there was about 6 NSW selections from the ISA 16's.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
two or three from pats, one from pius, if ur asking about that games teams. no NSW selections unfortunately, but there was about 6 NSW selections from the ISA 16's.

Thanks Lineout.
I just had a look at the U16 NSW thread and there were 7 ISA boys: four from Auggies, two from Stannies and one from Oakhill. The Oakhill boy also made it into Australian Schoolboys I think.
However none of the boys were from St Pats. Interesting considering St Pats has dominated this age group in the As since Yr 7.
And Auggies 16As has won 1/3 ISA games so far this season is my understanding.

Interesting.
Also interesting is my understanding that no 1999-born boys were in the U16s ISA team despite many playing in the U16s (because they are in Yr 10) across the ISA schools. But they get their chance next year.

St Patricks 4th XV report
This round saw the St Patrick's 4 XV travel to Pius for what was anticipated to be a tight affair. This however was not to be the case with St Pats running away with the game with a final score of 42-0. This game saw the St Pats team at their best and with players starting to return to form after injuries St Pats are now a serious threat in the ISA.
This was highlighted by St Pats magnificent attack shown through the backlines destructive running, with SPC’s no.10 showing why he is arguably the best fly-half at SPC (he could give SPC’s 1st XV no.10 a run for his money) with deceptive running and pin-point passing and kicking he was the result of many SPC tries. SPC’s no.14 as well showed he’s greatness and with a 50 metre breakaway try from a great backline move by Pats (the result of a deceptive bit of work from the no.10 from Pats) that left the Pius defenders not knowing where the ball was.
But the play of the game has to go to SPC’s number 9 who was by far and away one of the best players on the pitch with him running in 2 tries of his own. He’s 50m solo try from the ruck was a brilliant piece of running with him shrugging of multiple defenders and giving St Pius fullback a step to remember.The player of the game has to go to SPC’s captain in the second row known as Captain Cook. He’s organization of the St Pats forwards is largely the reason for the domination of the St Pats forward pack. He also had many a great run and was unlucky to score himself while on defense he was the result of many a Pius turnover due to his tireless work in the rucks and great one and one tackles.

St Pat’s will leave this game with their confidence on a high with a great victory here for the boys. The boys from Strathfield are now truly in the running for the ISA premiership and with a bit of luck and the recent run of form the boys have been on they could very well walkaway this season as the ISA premiers.

As stated previously in this thread st augustines simply don't have the depth (dont go down to a 4th XV team) or the strength of the st pats outfit. The only real competition for the boys from strathfield is oakhill and with the run of form the boys in black have been and with the return of players from injury oakhill will be hard kept to stay in touch with the st pats outfit

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Does anyone have any form guide on the Kinross 16A's. Tried the ISA website but it hasn't been updated since round 2.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As stated previously in this thread st augustines simply don't have the depth (dont go down to a 4th XV team) or the strength of the st pats outfit. The only real competition for the boys from strathfield is oakhill and with the run of form the boys in black have been and with the return of players from injury oakhill will be hard kept to stay in touch with the st pats outfit

I think it is a fairly obvious observation that St. Pats 4ths are stronger that the Augustines 4ths as Augustines don't have a team.;)

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)
Whale Berry to reply to your post on the hypocrisy of my previous comment, never in my time as a parent at St Pat's have I ever heard a student, let alone another parent, intentionally make a disturbance during a kick. From my experience, if anyone was to be caught doing this, especially in a First XV match on Breen Oval, the student would receive severe punishment. I cannot argue against your claim of a Pius boy being disturbed during his kick simply because I have not been to Hudson Park* in several years. But to suggest that this is a regular occurrence at St Pat's fixtures is blatanty untrue. I will no longer argue with you about the disrespectful 'cheering' that occurred on last saturday's match, because you either have selective hearing or you were sitting on the top of the goalpost while watching the game. It was even clear that during the game a touch judge was forced to remove a group of St Pius supporters from behind the St Pats goalposts because of their 'unpleasant' comments towards many of the players. Do not feel the need to argue these points but I encourage you to do so, this is fun.

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)
When did anyone comment on the players ability to celebrate victory or accept defeat? And I have no choice but to disagree with you. Pats always shake hands after a game and I doubt they ever publicly promote their victories over St Pius or any other schools. When has St Pats ever been overly zealous in victory or disrespectful in defeat, because you obviously have many examples from their 'track record'.

Lineoutlength

Bob McCowan (2)
oh i believe there was a public promotion over the 16's Pius victory on social media. There is no need to demote a great win by paying disrespect to the school you beat.

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)
Also, did the team this negative cheering was aimed towards deserve it? Did they act innappropriately in order to aggravate the crowd? I do not think so. These actions cannot be excused due to previous Pats teams acting unfasshionably.

Status
Not open for further replies.