• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2014

2014 Champions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
My Understanding is that the choice is up to the Students. If the two sports don't clash then they can play both. Most league boys are back on deck in Term 3. They play Rugby on Saturday and League on Sunday. The Union and League coaches work together and help each other out.

St Gregs play Rugby League in the MCS - a Thursday comp I thought? They are the only school i know who play in two sporting competitions (ISA and MCS) which makes it terribly hard on the boys and the parents in that they need to make a choice. Most boys would probably like to do both but there is more to life than League and Union, and as a parent I would certainly not like my son to play League on a Thursday, Union on a Saturday and attend the training sessions (probably 4 all up) ... just too much considering that school work needs to be attended to.

I think St Gregs need to make a decision one way or the other - League or Union? Otherwise there will always be "if only we had our leaguies today we would have won", not to mention the time it takes to dedicate to two physical sports at the one time.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
St Gregs play Rugby League in the MCS - a Thursday comp I thought? They are the only school i know who play in two sporting competitions (ISA and MCS) which makes it terribly hard on the boys and the parents in that they need to make a choice. Most boys would probably like to do both but there is more to life than League and Union, and as a parent I would certainly not like my son to play League on a Thursday, Union on a Saturday and attend the training sessions (probably 4 all up) . just too much considering that school work needs to be attended to.

I think St Gregs need to make a decision one way or the other - League or Union? Otherwise there will always be "if only we had our leaguies today we would have won", not to mention the time it takes to dedicate to two physical sports at the one time.

Very difficult for the same boys to play two sports at a high level at the same time. From the small knowledge that I have of their success in league, they'd be very hard to beat in the ISA if all their players played rugby as their 1st or only winter sport.

Robert uribarri

Bob McCowan (2)
Half of the boys that play rugby at st.gregs are contracted to league teams but there is noone under scholarships, that went out the door a long time ago.in a week the boys can go through playing league, tuesday, thursday and sunday, play rugby on saturday and train every other day.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The problem may belong with the Schools not passing the results on to the Telegraph or Herald.

I suspect that the papers are not bothered either way if the Schools submit results for publication, and probably don't see it as their responsibility to chase up schools/MIC Rugby for results.

Schools Rugby Tribune is usually a fairly reliable source of results, but there are a fair few gaps in ISA Div I and no results from ISA Div 2 published on their website from last weekend.

http://schoolstribune.com/

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Haven't had scores from ISA Div 2 up for a while.

From the ISA Web site: http://isa.nsw.edu.au/ISA-results.html

Round 5 31 May
Chevalier 38 All Saints 21
Redfield 24 Redlands 15
St Andrews 47 Central Coast 17

Round 6 14 June
Chevalier 26 Redfield 5
St Andrews 34 Redlands 10
All Saints 32 Central Coast 5

Round 7 19 July
Chevalier 24 St Andrews 12
Redfield 34 All Saints 22
Central Coast 31 Redlands 7

Round 8 26 July
Chevalier vs Central Coast (no result. There is an entry in the "x" column. Does this mean that there was a forfeit?)
Redfiled 39 St Andrews 18
All Saints 29 Redlands 10

Points Table:
Chevalier P 8 W 8 L 0 F 257 A 82 BP 7 Pts 40
Redfield P 8 W 6 L 2 F 228 A 130 BP 6 Pts 30
St Andrews P 8 W 4 L 4 F 206 A 215 BP 4 Pts 20
All Saints P 8 W 2 L 6 F 156 A 180 BP 6 Pts 14
Redlands P 8 W 2 L 6 F 110 A 214 BP 1 Pts 9
Central Coast P 8 W 2 L 6 F 102 A 238 BP 2 Pts 9 (must have lost a point due to round 8 forfeit)

Any ISA Div 3 news/results?

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Why cant we get the isa rugby results published in the telegraph? Are they really interested in supporting sport?
They are in the Sunday Telegraph in the results page at the back of the sports section. If results aren't in there it's because no-one provided them to AAP.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
St Pats have St Augustines at Strathfield this week, and finish at Oakhill the following weekend.
Oak Hill have a bye this week end

Cyclops

Stan Wickham (3)
St Pats v St Augustines is shaping up to be the match of the round. Both teams have lost a game and are separated on the table by one bonus point. The loser of this match will be watching other results, to see if they can finish the comp in third place. On the other hand, the winner retains a chance at the premiership.

Pats have had some injuries to key play-makers; however, most players have been fortunate to run below the radar of the ISA selectors. This is an advantage in that, they are still hungry for rugby and their determination and composure have been a feature of their game all season. This team has surprised some onlookers, and should arguably be undefeated. A balanced mix of cool-headed journeymen and young guns, they are ready to be tested by the top two teams in the last rounds of the ISA.

On the other hand, St Augustines is a formidable opponent. With the number of representative honours in the ranks, this team must start as hot favourite. They have talent right across the park and Pats will struggle to contain them, if St Augustines can get all their players on the paddock after their gruelling representative committments.

Pats have the home ground advantage They will need this; and a vocal mass of supporters, to maintain their intensity. They need to play above themselves in all aspects; defence, attack and smart rugby. It may well be their play-making decisions and ball-retention that decide the game.

My prediction: St Patricks by 2, in a boilover.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Appalling behaviour during the St Augs v St Pats 16As game today at St Pats.
A St Pat's player called a St Augs boy a 'b^#~! c&*!}'

Was witnessed by several parents but sadly not the ref or the linesmen.
A big scene was conducted at the end. Hopefully something will come of it in terms of disciplinary action for the St Pats players even though the ref did not hear the comment.

St Pats won the game by a convincing margin.
This name calling is unacceptable at any age.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

A big scene was conducted at the end. Hopefully something will come of it in terms of disciplinary action for the St Pats players even though the ref did not hear the comment.

You should write to the headmaster, for everyone's sake.

rugbymaster94

Frank Row (1)
Pats - 16 Auggies - 25

Awesome game and extremely physical with both sides suffering numerous injuries.

As an old boy of St Pats however and playing rugby for the college im at a loss to understand why so many complaints are coming up regarding sportsmanship. It my time there it was pounded into us that good sportsmanship was the schools highest priority with a victory second. It was not unusual for coaches to pull players off who they thought would engage in disreputable conduct and replace them in order to emphasis the point, often leading to a defeat. The 16a's are coached by a former teacher of mine who I spoke to today and there is no way he would allow any form of unsportsman like behaviour to occur. I think this is coming more from a failure to accept defeat as augustines are used to winning against us in this grade along with other schools. Swearing should be the least of anyones concern what do you expect with 16yr olds running full pelt at one another? Kisses and cuddles?? Whats said on the field is between the players and the ref parents and spectators should watch not act as 3rd referees.

rugbymaster94

Frank Row (1)
I never said i condoned racial comments. Your original comment never stated exactly what was said, all it said was that a st pats boy called an augustines boy a 'b^#~! c&*!}'. Are you quite positive you know what was said? St Pats has an excellent reputation in terms of sportsmanship and it is unfair to have it tarnished by inaccurate accusations. The referees and coaches are responsible for policing this and if the incident did in fact happen it will be swiftly and harshly delt with by St Pats.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
You should write to the headmaster, for everyone's sake.

Thanks IS for the suggestion, I will be contacting the Principal about this matter.
I heard it with my own ears, as did several other parents, and the boy in question and the boy in question's sister.
I do not know the boy's name who said it of course, but I know what position he was playing and this is what I will be communicating this to the Principal.

Next year I look forward to a rematch with St Pats, but without racist comments.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I thought as a society we'd moved past this sort of stuff. More disappointing than anything else for the next generation to be voicing those views. Not acceptable anywhere in our society, certainly not on the sports field and most definitely not in school sport.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thanks IS for the suggestion, I will be contacting the Principal about this matter.
I heard it with my own ears, as did several other parents, and the boy in question and the boy in question's sister.
I do not know the boy's name who said it of course, but I know what position he was playing and this is what I will be communicating this to the Principal.

Next year I look forward to a rematch with St Pats, but without racist comments.

Hopefully the kid will learn a big lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.