• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

insideball23

Is that why they call them the two blues?

both blue and white buddy
r0_142_2784_1707_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

DinkyDieDingo

Bob McCowan (2)
I can't help but feel that how Greg's plays its teams and players is unbalanced and detrimental to the ISA.

I was at Campbelltown last Saturday watching Gregs 15As vs Pats 15Bs. If that doesn't seem fair, hold your breath. Two of the players in the Gregs side wore jerseys saying "U16 League" on it and both were big boys who probably weighed somehwere in the 90s. Mind you, a number of Pats boys became bruised, battered, and winded trying to compete with these two. Final score 55-0 to Gregs.

I stayed at the school a while longer after the game and caught the same two boys then playing for Gregs 16As.

Should the ISA intervene for the welfare of its players and the sport? How can the ISA allow Gregs to field dominant A teams against B teams, and move players between the age groups as they please?

Mr ISA Rugby

Herbert Moran (7)
@DinkyDieDingo

Everyone here is pretty much in agreement that the current situation regarding the Pius/Greg's spilt is completely farcical and quite possibly dangerous.

What sort of competition is it when teams aren't playing evenly graded fixtures? What would any player want to play rugby when they know they are just going to get beat up by faster, better and stronger players?

There is a reason pats has 40 odd soccer teams as rugby barely keeps its head above water.

Whoever is organising the Isa rugby comp mustn't be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^^ I think they do a pretty good job organising reasonable comps.
The above example seems to be an outlier IMO.
I'm confident that Gregs will be given a quiet word about their squad selections.

Mr ISA Rugby

Herbert Moran (7)
^^^^ I think they do a pretty good job organising reasonable comps.
The above example seems to be an outlier IMO.
I'm confident that Gregs will be given a quiet word about their squad selections.
After seeing pats play Pius teams that aren't graded properly I don't think it's very reasonable. Why should other schools have to suffer so Pius can feel good about themselves?

Ruck.n.Maul

Frank Row (1)
I was at the Gregs v. Pats game over the weekend and completely agree with everything that has been said in the thread already. The behaviour of the Gregs fans, students and parents alike, was disgraceful and this really detracted from a hard fought game of rugby.

I've always had the impression that St Gregs consider themselves a rugby league school first and an rugby union school second. They have demonstrated on multiple occasions that they do not follow or uphold the ISA code of conduct. This was demonstrated across all grades on the weekend with boys playing in multiple age groups, a boy kicking someone in the head and the crowd abuse in the 1sts.

Pius have been seriously hard done by as a proud ISA school that already play first division cricket, basketball and football where they are very well respected as tough and fair competitors.

RnM

Mr ISA Rugby

Herbert Moran (7)
RnM

Do you believe that Greg's should be removed from the competiton and Pius reinstated as a full rugby member rather than having to split rounds with Gregs?

I wasn't at the game on Saturday but from various sources Greg's weren't very well behaved. What actually occurred?

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
Time for the ISA to act. If they continually breach the Code of Conduct, play boys in lower age groups and treat the whole rugby program as a joke, then it's time that Gregs show just cause as to why they should remain. Just a reminder - THEY ARE NOT AN ISA SCHOOL - they are MCS and use the rugby on a Saturday to keep the boys occupied.

Ruck.n.Maul

Frank Row (1)
Mr ISA

I am one for giving second chances, so removing St Gregs after one poor display of sportsmanship is a bit harsh however, if it happens more throughout the season that may be the only option.

A few of incidents that stood out to me on the day were, a team member of St Pats was abused by a spectator (assuming he was a Gregs parent) saying something along the lines of “come on fat boy”, to me this absolutely disgraceful for an adult to be yelling out abuse like that at a schoolboy rugby match.

Whilst the kicker for St Pats was taking conversions or penalty shots the Gregs student supporters would continually “Shhhhhhhhhhh” whilst he was kicking may be only a little thing but for a kicker preparing for a kick I could only imagine how off putting it must have been, over my many years of watching 1st XV rugby i could not think of another time where this happened.

And finally after the end of the match the Gregs students ran onto the field, it is not so much running on and showing passion and support for their players but as a couple of the Pats players walked off after shaking hands clearly disappointed not to come away with the win after such a close match, the students began chanting “na na na na na na na hey hey hey goodbye” the lack of sportsmanship displayed here I would only imagine have fired up Pats however, it was good to see a teacher (I think MIC of rugby) head over to have a word with to the boys.

RnM

Mr ISA Rugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Mr ISA

I am one for giving second chances, so removing St Gregs after one poor display of sportsmanship is a bit harsh however, if it happens more throughout the season that may be the only option.

I was talking in a more broad sense in the fact that Gregs aren't actually a Full ISA member and don't seem to take it very seriously rather than as a punishment for this weekend's behavior.

Why would Gregs fans run onto the field if the match ended in a draw? Seems like there was some really dumb behavior going around. As for the other things, it's just not acceptable at a schoolboy rugby game to have that sort of stuff going on. Questions should and I assume will be asked of those who participated in such behavior.

It is especially disappointing considering how close the 1sts ended up and from what I've heard the spirit in which both sides played. Onwards to next week...

Mr ISA Rugby

Herbert Moran (7)
I think it is time to move on from Round 3 as we start looking ahead to Saturday's Round 4 fixtures.

St Pats v Oakhill:
While it may be easy to tip Oakhill in this one, you never know how Pats will turn up when playing on Breen Oval. They are a different team at home and will be glad to be back following two tough weeks on the road. They seemed to bounce back well against Gregs after the Auggies smashing and will consider the fact Gregs have beaten Oakhill (but the team changes every week). Oakhill has also returned to form with a decisive win over Kinross last week. They aren't the same team they have been the last few seasons but they should come out on top. Oaks by 14 (but I can see it being much closer or much wider, hard to pick)

Kinross vs Stannies:
The over-the-mountains rivalry has been fierce in recent seasons with games always being hard fought and entertaining. While Stannies are clear strong favorites for this game, you never know what might happen when there is a young and inexperienced team trying to find their form running around. Expect a great atmosphere at Bathurst (hopefully, nobody ruins the fun with stupid behavior). Stannies by 20+.

Gregs v Augustines:
Like most weeks it's almost impossible to pick the Gregs fixture due to their ever-changing team lineup. Auggies are coming off the back of two very large victories against Kinross and Pats and will be looking to add further points to their already large PD. Auggies by 20+.

Overall, there are some pretty good fixtures this week in ISA Div 1 with clear favorites in all games. Some upset victories would be fun though. Carn the underdog!

S

sweetchilli philli

I'm Finding Pats vs Oakhill impossible to predict as Oakhill lost to Gregs and beat Kinross while St Pats lost to kinross and drew with Gregs(crowd aside). Does anyone have some insight into either camp to help my tip for the week?

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
Sweetchilli philli

I tend to agree with Mr ISA - so Oaks for me.

The Kinross v Stannies game will be interesting- the captains have huge role to play with this one, and I'm not talking about the result. In fact the result almost plays a trivial role compared to the way the game is played and supported. In my experience captains of 1st XV have huge respect from their playing group- this respect has been built over 6 or so years of schoolboy rugby. This respect has rightly delivered them the captaincy and what they say, do and how they play directly influences the other 14 on the field.
I have seen the Kinross captain in action this year. He is highly respectful of the game, the opposition and the referee. I have not seen Stannies captain as yet. If he is of the same cloth then both boys leadership should see the game of rugby and fundamental mature behaviour come out on top. For what it's worth , Stannies by 20+ and to win with dignity and humility.

Mr ISA Rugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Stannies have implemented major measures for Saturday's game with no cars allowed into the ground. Bag checks by security guards to ensure no alcohol is brought in. Fencing around the ground to makr sure no one enters the field of play during or after the game.

It's sad that it's come to this but it's good to hear Stannies are being very proactive about it. What happened last year was disgusting and hopefully will never happen again.

O

Oak_Wood

I'm Finding Pats vs Oakhill impossible to predict as Oakhill lost to Gregs and beat Kinross while St Pats lost to kinross and drew with Gregs(crowd aside). Does anyone have some insight into either camp to help my tip for the week?

sweetchilli philli, After playing attractive attacking football in the first half, the Oakhill 1stXV retreated into their shell in the 2nd half vs St Gregs and Gregs took advantage of Oakhill's defensive style of play. Compared to the Kinross game, Oakhill played two halves of attacking rugby, ball in hand and they came away with the lollies. Hats off to Stannies who played with great structure and support. My tip is if the Oaks play attacking footy they should prevail vs. St Pats!

S

sweetchilli philli

sweetchilli philli, After playing attractive attacking football in the first half, the Oakhill 1stXV retreated into their shell in the 2nd half vs St Gregs and Gregs took advantage of Oakhill's defensive style of play. Compared to the Kinross game, Oakhill played two halves of attacking rugby, ball in hand and they came away with the lollies. Hats off to Stannies who played with great structure and support. My tip is if the Oaks play attacking footy they should prevail vs. St Pats!

Thanks Oakwood for this in-depth analysis hopefully we get attacking footy from Oakhill and Pats (for Rugby's sake) anyone with insight into St Pats?

pilfer80

Frank Nicholson (4)
Heard amongst the crowd last week one of the Oakhill second rowers is contemplating getting a calf tattoo in "camp" this week. Possibly to create a much needed aggressive brand image in wake of the big battle @ Breen this Saturday. It is my belief calf tattoos are much underrated in schoolboy rugby, disappointed not to see more these days

Reactions: L.D
Status
Not open for further replies.