• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger Cassidy

Frank Row (1)
What it sounds like to me, is that Stannies have finally proven themselves as possible ISA premiers, yet people try to discriminate our school from years ago. Being a Stannies Old Boy, i could name numerous occasions racial slurs have been said to our South Sudanese and Aboriginal students. We can all point fingers at schools, and right now it sounds like people are trying to bring Stannies down as they are starting to do extraordinary things on the field.

outsidein22

Bob McCowan (2)
It will never cease to amaze me how frequently visiting teams leave Bathurst with a sour taste in their mouth. Having made the trip many years ago the same recurring trends emerge year on year. @Roger Cassidy, unfortunately these same stories appear year on year, just flick back through the forums of the past years. These complaints arise whether Stannies are first, last or anywhere in between.

The one thing that I find strange is there is never any change. Who knows, schools may have complained to the ISA with limited success or they just sulk about losing. As it stands it's put up or shut up really. A coach of ours used to say that the best teams in the ISA will overlook the rubbish at Stannies and play well enough that no lob sided penalty count or dubious decision will lose you the game.

sparks

Frank Row (1)
Oh how the bully cries foul when the underdog fights back........and wins!!!!! It must be the fault of the referee.........or could it be that 30+ 16 year olds played their hearts out in a fantastic display of rugby, and one side came away with the win. Although, in my eyes, both teams were winners for the way the game was played. The definate losers were the St Augustines rugby staff, whose display of unsportsmanlike behaviour on the day could only be described as embarrassing not only to their school, but to the young lads who had just given their all. I take my hat off to all the referees who give their time, otherwise we wouldn't have a game

Roger Cassidy

Frank Row (1)
^^^ try and reframe it all you like, but without exception,regardless of what School they are aligned with, whenever you tell someone you are going up to Stannies on the weekend, they smirk and wish you luck.
Unfortunately in my experience the folklore is accurate, on a few occasions the ref literally cheated to get the home team a win.
It certainly doesn't happen in every game up there, but when it does, subtlety is not a consideration.

Are you saying when Stannies play away games, the refs help them win too? Because they have not shown they are capable of losing both home and away, the penalty count at home has been equal every game this season for the 1stXV.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Are you saying when Stannies play away games, the refs help them win too? Because they have not shown they are capable of losing both home and away, the penalty count at home has been equal every game this season for the 1stXV.
Nope, you're conflating things.
Clearly this years 1st XV will be deserving premiers.
I was responding to what I considered to be a self righteous post, I generally don't support bagging refs, but at the same time acknowledge that on occasions SOME refs let the Occassion get the better of them.
Again, stories of Stannies hone town refs are folklore,unfortunately I've seen it myself on a few occasions (minority).
I really don't want to clog up this thread with posts about refs going rogue at Bathurst, and for that reason I deleted my post,you were quick on the trigger quoting me,as it was only up for a matter of minutes.

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
Now - back to the rugby.
Well done to Stannies - I didn't think they could beat Auggies twice in a season, but they did - well done to them.
Also, well done to Gregs - I'm not sure they have ever beaten Oaks before (I may be wrong on that one).
And well done to St Pats - that's 4 games in a row that the visiting team has won the Kinross/St Pats fixture.

Interested to know how the ISA teams went on the weekend.

S

sweetchilli philli

Bonjour #sweetchillination
WOW! That is my response to this weekend's quality of rugby. The ISA really turned it with the talented being on display anywhere you looked. I would like to welcome all the new bloggers to the forum who have given their thoughts on our great competition this week. Now to my reports from the games which I was lucking enough to attend:

Stannies VS Auggies (The big Dance)
As the game kicked off nerves were clear but I thought both sides handled the occasion well. As the game went on it was clear, these were the two best structured teams in the ISA(probably Sydney). As you have seen Stannies prevailed in the end. Lead by the Porkies Joel “Shake” Thomas and Bo “Bake” Abra worked beautifully in tandem and dominated the set piece. However I was hugely impressed with St Augustine's Henry “Hustle Loyalty and Respect” Whelan ( Wondering is there any relation to that Brave Hooker from Pats, Seamus?). He was strong around the breakdown all day and kept Auggies in the game longer then they should have been. Overall I thought Yool ”Youl Youl (seriously)" Yool showed everyone why he deserved to be ISA 1st team carving the ISA I mean Auggies backline. Finally I have to address the elephant in the room... the refereeing. Now as it has been mentioned many times already on this blog the game was not decided in anyway by the officiating. Now all this talk of bias refereeing is baloney!! The ref was Bo’s Father, a very respectful and honest man (Obviously I am joking... Mr.Abra was not referring). Now it is no secret that the refs in the Central West don’t receive any where near the training and resources as the City Slicker which may affect the quality of the refs at Bathurst. But this is not Stannies fault as it is all that is available to them and the refs try there best. In my opinion it is that grub Bill “Money Hungry” Pulver’s fault who puts no money into developing refs out in the country. But let’s not take anything away from the game with Stannies being deserving winners from what was an absolute spectacle with ISA rugby being the real winner! Well done to both teams!!!!
Sweet chilli’s hero of the dish
  1. The atmosphere at Stannies fantastic all day
  2. Stannies Stingers keeping the formidable wingers from Auggies in check
  3. Sean ”Hopoate ” Vaivelata I think this boy is better than Willy “Macho Macho” Manu despite Sean receiving the cheddar Cheese during the game
ISA Representative Games

After the brilliant display of schoolboy rugby at Bathurst, I was still hungry for more and was desperate to get down to Rat Park to watch the best of ISA take on the best from CHS and CCC. Fortunately for me my beautiful Mrs allowed me this great opportunity despite it being my sister in law's 60th on Sunday which I was devastated to miss (not). So anyway I was up nice and early on God’s day to go and watch God’s game and headed for the other side of the mountains.
ISA III vs ISA Division 2/3
I arrived just in time for the beginning of the always interesting ISA III VS ISA DIV ⅔ game. This match was very entertaining as the Div ⅔ wanted to prove that they were able to compete with the big boys… unfortunately they got pumped 44-0, this score did not reflect the real story of the game. From that game I was very impressed with the No. 10 Andrew “Wants” Moore from Div and No. 3 Jack “Alan” Jones from III.
ISA II vs CCC
I had high expectations of this match-up but unfortunately it was a scrappy game of rugby. In my opinion ISA were dominant but were unable to capitalise on there many opportunities. But they got the win, winning 24-19. The best on field from ISA was the No. 10 Luke “ Carlos” Spencer and No. 7 “King” Henry “VII” Whelan(twice in two days coincidence?) also I must mention Oskar “Passion “Mitchell who played out of position at 8 and, my God can this boy play. ISA II’s what a joke!! I also heard some of the parents around me say he was man of the match for Kinross on the weekend potential personified.
ISA 1 vs CHS
This match was what I came for, and my God it didn’t disappoint!!!! It was a great game with ISA dominating the fixture for the whole game leading 36-24 with 10 minutes to go. Then you would you believe it CHS scored two brilliant run way tries to have the game all squared up with 2 minutes to go. The next few minutes of play where the edge of the seat sort of stuff and for the first time ever I saw a drop goal slotted in schoolboy rugby by Dallas “ Banjo” Patterson to win the game 39-36. The best for ISA in my opinion was my man Donny “Freeview TV” Freeman who in my eyes out played CHS captain and Australian schools ‘certainty’ Harry “Potter” Turner. I was disappointed to hear but that Donny didn’t play on Saturday saving himself for this game. I am huge fan of the man but I must question his priorities he has let his teammates down from Orange. I know he is coming back from injury but expect more from my man crush.

#staysaucymypeeps

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Guys - CAS 1's beat GPS 1's 26 to nil last night. The seconds drew 31 each. Great games - hop over to the CAS forum to have a look at the comments. Enjoy and cheers.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Refereeing is a difficult task. Even high paid ones at Test level make mistakes even with more officials and high tech assistance available so a bloke on a ground in any area by himself could be mistaken.

We have at times all experienced what seemed one sided officiating. The standard of boys rugby has improved so I feel that so should the standard of officials. Perhaps locals don't do the home games and get paid to ref elsewhere.

On the match between Stannies and Auggies various comments have been made. Lets congratulate Stannies on the win. They are having a celebratory year at the school and are trying their best at everything. Great effort to the boys.

Auggies as one said are "arrogant." I would disagree. They are confident, knowledgeable players who sometimes get passionate. They are not robots. This rise of Auggies has done much to improve the stand of ISA rugby and helped at representative level. When can anyone remember a league school moved to rugby and in a few years become a force. Is that not good for rugby when so many pages on this forum are dark and negative about the games future. These kids in ISA are the future.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Tips for Friday? Can Augs, errr, ISA knock over the best of the CAS? If they are to do so they will need rock solid defence wide of the ruck where CAS 10 Donaldson and 12 Hardaker did so much damage on Tues. also need to watch loose passes as 2 of the 4 CAS tries were intercepts and they have speed to burn so unlikely to be caught once through the D line. With NSW jerseys up for grabs following the one sided result of CAS v GPS on Tues, there is plenty of incentive for the ISA boys to give it everything.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I see on CAS thread that CAS won 28 to 7. Anyone able to provide any observations on the match - players that stood out etc?

R&R

Bob McCowan (2)
I counted 13 ISA players in the NSW teams, including shadow players, not a bad turnout considering the way in which the competition is often overlooked. What I really want want to know though is what philli has to say about Donny Freeman making NSW 1's?

Ioverugby24/7

Frank Nicholson (4)
NSW Schools Rugby Championships

Carigul Oval, North Turramurra

23rd June 2017

Knox Grammar very kindly hosted the 2017 NSW Secondary Schools State Championships on 23rd June 2017. It’s a good venue and creates a rugby community atmosphere at Carigul Oval. A light Southerly blew a cool breeze across the oval. However, with the best schoolboy rugby players in NSW on show - things out on the field were about to heat-up!

The first game of the State Carnival kicked off on time at 10.00am.

AICES Vs ISA II

The game started with both forward packs badly fumbling ball and showing poor handling skills. Neither of the backlines were passing or running smoothly. Possession was shared, however it was proving to be a messy game of errors by both teams. Despite this, ISA managed to scramble for several tries – many against the run of play.

26-7 half time

The 2nd half continued to be a dour game, not reflective of the talent on the field, with too many handling errors by both teams. The boys were becoming increasingly frustrated. AICES in particular would have been disappointed with their performance. It wasn’t that ISA II were playing particularly well, they were just making fewer mistakes and putting together 3-4 phases, instead of 1-2.

Ultimately, ISA II won this game by having fewer errors and managing to string together more phases through both the forward and backs.

Final score ISA def AICES 46-7

CAS II Vs CCC

CAS II started hesitantly with their forwards making several handling errors. CCC scored first with a barging direct run from their 13.

However, CCC did not look like scoring for the rest of the game. The CAS II backline defense was rock solid. They also looked very impressive with ball in hand – Their 10 spinning it wide through the hands and making good metres at will. CAS started to pile-on the points. Their backline structure in both defence and attack was very controlled and well disciplined. Possibly best backline at the carnival.

CCC forwards were doing some spirited work and disrupting the CAS II forward pack. CAS II forwards must have handed-over 50% possession in the 2nd half.

Based on their quality of play and results, I rate this CAS team as 2nd or 3rd best team in this comp.

Final score: CAS II 40 def CCC 7

CAS I Vs ISA I

CAS I were penalised heavily in 1st half and couldn’t retain possession. The error rate was very high and this looked like a very different team to the one that beat GPS and kept them scoreless on Tuesday night.

CAS backline was not working well at all, and a combination of poor passes and knock-ons kept ISA well in the hunt for most of the first half. At this stage, the ISA I forwards were playing better than CAS forward pack.

The ISA backs were also sending it wide, running freely and making metres around the edges. They were looking much more confident than CAS backs.

Halftime 7-7 all. ISA were looking strong. Could this be an upset?

The only Yellow card of the day was given to Finn Wright from CAS for a fairly innocuous off-side play. Many were surprised that it was worthy of yellow.

CAS finally managed to retain possession and ran-in 2 tries.

CAS’s momentum swung with ISA dropping off in defence and perhaps looking a little less fit. This also coincided with CAS running on their reserves.

Overall I would say that CAS forward pack slightly outclassed ISA. However, ISA backs looked stronger and more dangerous than CAS with ball in hand. This was a surprise.

CAS I 28 def ISA I7

GPS II VS CHS II

Another game full of handling errors. There were a lot of nervous boys out there today!

19-12 to GPS II at half time. However, CHS II were putting on a real show.

The CHS boys look ‘hard’ and at times flashy,but technically a bit loose. GPS continued to struggle putting phases together.

GPS succeeded in swinging it wide in 2nd half and making good metres.

CHS were very unstructured, but didn't give up in a good fight.

After the dominant tackle of the day by GPS on the huge CHS No. 3 - driving him back from the GPS try line, CHS crossed for a 4th consolation try. A feisty effort by CHS II against the better drilled GPS team.

Final score GPS II 45 def CHS II 22

GPS I VS CHS I

From the kick-off, GPS scored early with fast hands and the GPS winger scored in the corner.

CHS quickly fought back with a great try to 12 Joey Walton.

CHS were then leading 5-7 for 15 minutes and had the smell of blood. Their spirits lifted.

The GPS backs were being overly selfish, and then often dropping ball.

GPS I were not performing to the standard that we have typically expected from them at this carnival. Perhaps they were rattled from their defeat in Tuesday night, or just nervous. The large CHS boys were disrupting them and in some areas dominating.

Finally, GPS managed to run straight and score under the posts. The GPS conversion attempt was charged down by CHS 11 Kichie Nuvuso. It’s not very often you see that!

GPS then followed-up with a Try to replacement 10 Dom Easy.

It had taken 1 1/2 games, however we were finally seeing the GPS team that we are used to seeing. The boys were clicking, recycling possession and putting together many phases through forwards and back.

GPS were finally hitting their straps and a barnstorming run by Charlie Rorke led to another try.

Rorke, Mac Williams, Breen and Bell started dominating the game. However - it was against some defence that CHS will not be happy with.

The fragile CHS defence opened-up around the middle allowing GPS to run-in several tries towards the end for a one-sided win.

GPS I 66 def CHS I7

Tram Tracks

Peter Burge (5)
faac67711270faed5cb947e330e3b522.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

sweetchilli philli

Guten Tag #sweetchillination

Very exciting times with the NSW team being selected with many contentious selections. From my viewings of the games on Friday, and I must admit I didn’t meet eye to eye with many of the selections. I warn you for the over spicy nature of the rant I am about to go on, because I am fired up over the NSW selections. So let's dip into it.
Warning super spicy sauce ahead

NSW Selection rant

First of all I want to congratulate the the selectors for getting it right and picking my boy Don “Bradman” Freeman!!!! I have been calling for this all year and thankfully the selectors didn’t have their GPS/CAS tinted glasses on when selecting the open side flanker position. Don is an absolute freak, I think he is the best jacklar I have ever seen in schoolboy rugby. Against CAS he was pilfering the ball with such ease and fun….remarkable player. He has it all the skills, smarts, looks and personality, he is what the ladies would call the full package ( I am sure the ladies in orange are lining up for this man if isn’t already taken!!). I think Donny’s success must also be credited to the great depth of 7’s in the ISA competition who put pressure on him week in week out. This is clearly evident with the selection of Henry “ Henny Penny Chicken” Whelan in NSW 2nd XV, a great player who thoroughly deserved his selection ( I am sure his cousin Seamus, we also be looking for higher honours in the NSW 16’s team). I must say I was a little disappointed that Donny’s teammate Oskar “Stuart Macgill” Mitchell didn’t get the nod into the squad. This gentleman has to be the most unluckiest player in schoolboy rugby, having to play in the shadow’s of Donny “ Shane Warne” Freeman at Kinross.

Next, though may be controversially, but perhaps for the first time I think the wrong ISA player was picked in the NSW side (of course if i had it my way the ISA team and NSW team would be identical but that just isn’t realistic). Jack “Big Red” Alcorn outplayed Max “every fifth ruck” Douglas who was given duties to lead the lineout on the day yet couldn't beat his opposite number, yet Jack “effort on effort” alcorn was dominated in the air. Also had my chance to watch the ‘best’ giraffe in NSW Nick “Not” Frost“y with me”. This guy looks like tarzan but unfortunately plays like Jane. I feel like again this selection was based on politics and reputation. This is why I feel an all ISA second row would have been the best option( but you have to satisfy those CAS bureaucrats.

Also how politics crippled Stannies of deserved selections. While I could applaud selectors on picking Bo in NSW 1’s I mean no s**t Sherlock anyone could have done that. “Big game” Hunter Ward and Joel ”1 percenters” Thomas in NSW 2’s what a joke, it’s outrageous those guys punished their counterparts from CAS including fellow NSW II’s ‘front rower’ Finn “doesn't scrummage” Wright. For him put in the same team yet alone mentioned in the same breathe as these athletes is a disgrace. What is going on???

Lastly, I would like to express my dissatisfaction with the non-selection of Yool “ Yool + Yool + Yool - Yool= Yool Yool” Yool. I personally thought that Yool’s freakish try off the kick off against AICES was more than enough for him to earn selection but obviously not. The selectors must have been smashing their faces with bacon and egg rolls from the BBQ (which I can understand because they were absolutely delightful:)

In summary while I hear some saying 13 ISA players is a good result, but for me this is just not good enough compared to the numbers CAS and GPS had... it screams politics. How do selectors get away with this sort of egregious selections without being fired!! I look at Bill “Money Bags” Pulver and wonder what he will do about this crime as I believe daylight robbery was committed against our ISA boys.

As you all know by now I hate ending on a sour note so I would like to congratulate all the ISA boy’s for their selection! You have all done yourselfs, family, friends, school and most importantly the ISA proud. I wish you all the best and I am sure a large number of you will be named in the Australian Schools team later on!

#staysaucymypeeps

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
SweetChilli, have you considered the possibility that selections were influenced by the 2 games played and lost by ISA? CAS knocked off GPS 4 tries to nil and then won comfortably over ISA after a 2 day turnaround and despite being well below the standard of Tuesday. GPS completely dominated CHS, who also beat ISA. I'd say 13 was not a bad haul in the circumstances, objectively viewed.

Kooka Ranger

Frank Row (1)
Thanks for the thread.
Christ I used to hate Stannies but age melos and its good to hear that there doing so well. Hard to believe there was time when a Scots Bathurst vs Stannie fixture would be 4 grades in opens and few thousand spectators.

Status
Not open for further replies.