• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2018

AllCatsandNoPussy

Bob McCowan (2)
Well said NoCats, let's hope the ISA in general starts to pick up more traction.

In regards to this, what do you all speculate the lineups are going to be for the ISA Representative Teams this year?

Not too sure to be honest. In terms of Pats players that have a chance I’d say Kyle Devine and Mark Nawaqatawase (Did I butcher that last name?). Maybe other players to look out for next year are Tommy Brooks and Roger Berbari Jr?

I’d say it’s a bit early to tell to be honest, and my knowledge of players from schools outside Pats is quite limited so my answers are probably poor reflections of the actual truth.

Maybe some other people wanna drop a line on who they think has a chance for ISA?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm glad that I acted! The demand is clearly there. As many will know, I follow TAS and promote the GPS Thirds comp as best I can!

Over at the GPS thread, Armchair Selector provided this information.

"Alright Gents, I believe this is the trial programme for TAS, High and Grammar

24 Mar: Sydney Grammar Tens Tournament
7 Apr: Grammar V St Pats, rest internals
5 May: Grammar V St Aloysius, High V Riverview, TAS V Kinross Wolaroi
12 May: TAS V Grammar, High V St Pius
19 May: Grammar V St Gregs, TAS V Cranbrook, High V Scots
26 May: Grammar V Cranbrook, High V Newington, TAS V St Gregs
2 Jun: Round 1 for 3rd Grade"

Last year the triangulation across the three comps in the pre-seasons almost required a spread sheet or even a special software program. This year i'm trying to get in front a little. So any comments on the above mix or relative strengths would be interesting. For example, the KWS-TAS match usually played at Coona is now something of a tradition. How strong is KWS?

In the last few years, KWS first on first has been too strong for TAS. I have no idea how strong the TAS team is, I never do before the comp starts and then the team needs to warm up.! However, KWS's results against other schools then gave a rough feel for relative strengths across the three comps.

So, my challenge. Who is playing who in the pre-seasons, at what level, and what might be the results?

Jim, in relation to High fixtures, they are paired with Waverley for at least some of those fixtures (probably not Pius I imagine). I assume this means that they'll be playing 3rds and 5ths as per usual and Cs and Es in the age groups so as to avoid mismatches.

planespotter44

Frank Row (1)
Spotted a few Boeing 747s flying over SACS during preseason. Clearly trying to catch a glimpse of the playbook the boys will put into action come round 1, as they are clear favourites to take out the shield

pilfer80

Frank Nicholson (4)
Pilfers all round this Saturday ladies and gentlemen! The rugby gods bless us with a cracking weather forecast for the weekend, for what will be a stunning continuation of trials leading into a sterling 2018 season.

The alteration to the ruck laws will only make the PILFER a more cherished moment for the slippery jackals who manage to put their heads where no halfback will.

Bum taps all round for those who manage to pull off a mighty PILFER this season!

My predictions for season 2018:

- Auggies to rise from a below expectation 2017 to take the title... undefeated!

- Stannies to come crashing back to earth with a middle range finish to 2018

- Gregs - the mighty boys from Campbelltown. Hope they stick to sheep shearing and pulling cows #kickGRUBBS

theclubflanker

Frank Row (1)
Not too sure to be honest. In terms of Pats players that have a chance I’d say Kyle Devine and Mark Nawaqatawase (Did I butcher that last name?). Maybe other players to look out for next year are Tommy Brooks and Roger Berbari Jr?

I’d say it’s a bit early to tell to be honest, and my knowledge of players from schools outside Pats is quite limited so my answers are probably poor reflections of the actual truth.

Maybe some other people wanna drop a line on who they think has a chance for ISA?

Despite my clear animosity for finishing, I will drop a line ACNP.

Just a few pointers on a few sides:

Stannies - these lads will be more disappointing than a Thai massage on Pitt St

Auggies - to finally discover there is civilisation west of Brookvale as they lose the title to Pius

Kinross - will try harder than an Indian man talking to a female on Facebook, but will ultimately linger at the back of the pack

Pius - plenty of dads to shout "get him onside ref!" and "hands in the ruck sir!"

Pats - may cause an upset this season, but just like a kebab with no sauce, they'll always just fall short.

Gregs - grubbs

Central Best

Chris McKivat (8)
Stannies boys cross the mountains this week end off to Summer Hill to play the Trinity boys home of the best canteen on the School boy circuit.
No 1st XV as Trinity are playing the 7s comp so the Stannies boys are having a training run against the mighty Bathurst Bulldogs Colts tonight. Bulldogs have won the last 2 colts titles so should be a good hit out down at Ann Ashwood Park this evening.
Not sure about the strength of the Trinity sides but the Stannies boys are looking really strong in all age groups this year. The A sides particularly show a lot of promise at this early stage are looking forward to the coming games against the GPS and CAS sides.

O

Oak_Wood

Oakhill vs Barker trial this weekend! Oaks first trail for the year, Barker will be a tough test!

forruckssake

Bob McCowan (2)
St Pats kick off their footy season down at Darlinghurst against the Grammar boys.

Excited to see how this fairly sized forward pack and athletic backline will go as an experimental 1st XV squad. Watch out for 'Roger Berbari'(?) in the back 3 who missed his whole 16s campaign from an ACL injury along with the two returning key forwards.

Who are the other ISA schools playing tomorrow?

forruckssake

Bob McCowan (2)
A hot day out at Weigall to see Pats play Grammar. An experimental 1st XV squad playing in the 2nds' jerseys had many reserves, all a part of the selection process for the final 1st grade squad.

Witnessed some wonderful running rugby from Pats, outclassing Grammar to a 43-3 scoreline. First game of the season, a few rusty moments here and there with the knock on, but overall an excellent performance. Looking forward to the inner west derby against Trinity after the break.

How did the other schools go?

pilfer80

Frank Nicholson (4)
A hot day out at Weigall to see Pats play Grammar. An experimental 1st XV squad playing in the 2nds' jerseys had many reserves, all a part of the selection process for the final 1st grade squad.

Witnessed some wonderful running rugby from Pats, outclassing Grammar to a 43-3 scoreline. First game of the season, a few rusty moments here and there with the knock on, but overall an excellent performance. Looking forward to the inner west derby against Trinity after the break.

How did the other schools go?

Any standouts for Pats?

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
@pilfer80 the #7 for St Pats looks to be a machine - tackled everything that moved and often got to his feet and did his own counter rucking. Does anybody know his name? I heard he went out to New South Head Road after the game and tackled some cars for a bit of fun. Also, three words that will make the supporters at Breen happy - “Roger is back!”

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
Did Oakhill field a legit 1st XV today OR are Barker outstanding?
Also, have heard there are only two open teams at Pius this year - confirm anybody?

forruckssake

Bob McCowan (2)
@pilfer80 the #7 for St Pats looks to be a machine - tackled everything that moved and often got to his feet and did his own counter rucking. Does anybody know his name? I heard he went out to New South Head Road after the game and tackled some cars for a bit of fun. Also, three words that will make the supporters at Breen happy - “Roger is back!”

Ahhh yes, no. 7 was indeed a monster for the boys in black, made out of pure aggression. Tom Brooks I believe was the name (as I heard from the other parents in the stands).

Roger Berbari, the fastest man in the school is indeed back, bagging two meat pies in that one game. I recall one where he palmed an opposing outside back to his backside at the corner, only to run it under the posts for a sweet try.

There were two reserve forwards who came on at the half who made a really big impact for Pats. Plain out aggressive and physical with the poor Grammar lads who were caught up in their tackles.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Auggies and St Eddies had a trial today in the heat at Rat park. A point scoring feast with both sides finishing on 40 points.
Eddies 15 and 8 impressive. Auggies back line really quick on the day but a parent told me 3 of the backs were not back from NRL duties.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Auggies and St Eddies had a trial today in the heat at Rat park. A point scoring feast with both sides finishing on 40 points.
Eddies 15 and 8 impressive. Auggies back line really quick on the day but a parent told me 3 of the backs were not back from NRL duties.

Good hit out for both teams.
Eddies solid and enthusiastic, deserved the draw. They'll go well this year in their ACT comp.

The biggest problem for Auggies was sitting on the sideline - Albert H out with ACL. But I'm confident he'll be back next year; in conjunction with Seas Eagles duty he has been named in the Youth 7s team for 2019 World Cup.
And the Australian Schoolboys team when named will be lacking without him.

Some of the Auggies backs had played SG Ball in the morning so were a bit worn out. Last SG Ball game though yesterday so after the boys get from the Sanix Japan tour ready for the next trial they'll be firing I'm sure.
Still some real talent in the team such as Sean V, Max L, LJ G. And with Papa as coach 2018 will hopefully still be a good year

Richard Hope

Frank Row (1)
Any standouts for Pats?

Some great signs for St Pats came from there trial against Grammer. I’m the Forwards a few big front rowers joined by Harrison Armour a solid second rower and a very tough 7 in Tom Brooks aswell as Kyle Devine at hooker and Max wiseman who has played some rep stuff in league for the sharks, both very aggressive. In the backs there’s some different possible 9 and 10 combinations but it’s the Individuals of Mark Nawanqanitwaswe the big inside centre, who is accompanied by a speedy back three combination. There was also talk of current Eastwood coach and Women’s 7’s coach John Manentis son coming back, Harry who is a big ball running inside centre who played in year 10 for the 1st XV at inside centre but had last season off for representative cricket. Between him and Mark in the centres, St Pats are looking at a strong year in the 1’s.