• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Welcome back to another season of ISA rugby. I have been keeping an eyye on this and other competitions and am interested in any perspectives on trial results and players to watch this year in the First XV comp.

I watched a trial between Oakhill and Batker yesterday with Barker winning 27-26.. The game was a tight struggle with some absolutely thumping defense. For me, Barker live or die on their number 15.. Take him out and it is a lack luster side wanting to play 10 man rugby... Oakhill forwards were excellent and when the ball did get to the outside they looked good .. Some of those boys can hit hard with Barker losing both centers to a couple of huge hits by the No 12 from Oakhill..

Any way let's get something going here to see what is happening in 2011 ...

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Auggies played Waverley yesterday winning 40-12. The St Augustines side were very good with a very mobile pack full of hard workers and a backline that can convert any half opportunity easily. The win was even more impressive when 4 of the expected starters were unavailable yesterday.

Waverley played a very forward dominated game and they were a bigger pack than StAugustines. The dfference was the willingness of the Auggies forwards to get to the breakdown and compete for every ball. The Waverley backs were totally outclassed by the St Augustines backline which showed great strength in their centres and lots of speed out wide.

By teh sounds of it both StAugustines and Oakhill will be major players in this comp

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good game yesterday between Barker and Oakhill. Standouts for Oakhill were the year 11 number 12 and the year 12 number 6. As stated above the Barker number 15 was impressive but the discipline and breakdown/set piece work of their pack got them over the line. Entertaining first up performance from two teams who should both be competitive in their respective compititions. Although Auggies will be hard to beat in the ISA comp.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
The number 6 from Oakhill was fantastic in attack .. The five were also good. Early in the season for all teams but it's great to be back into rugby ... Any other trials or observations around ?? Cannot remember Barker 15 name ..

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
The number 6 from Oakhill was fantastic in attack .. The five were also good. Early in the season for a teams but it's great to be back into rugby ... Any other trials or observations around ?? Cannot remember Barker 15 name ..

Scott Purcell presumably. Played opens in 2010

Constantine

Stan Wickham (3)
Trinity 27 v Stannies 23 at Stannies. Tough arm wrestle where apart from first 20 minutes Trinity lead all the way with Stannies always clawing back into contention. Basically a battle in the forwards from 2 good packs but a number of slick trys scored by the backs as well.
Stannies 4,7 and 14 had strong games with 7 although not a big lad, very mobile and very tough .Scrounged well against a big Trinity pack. 14 was big,fast man who caused some probs for Trinity backs and the 10 directed his backs well & had a good short kicking game.

Stannies look to be pretty solid given Trinity beat St Andrews 55-7 the week before.

N

no_name12

heard the trials are on the 10th of may. a bit of a pickle for auggie players as they have to back up the next day for the hybrid match. trials are at st piux?

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
I hear that nominations are out for the ISA First XV trials... who's got any insight into a potential team.... based on previous years it appears that if you play for Auggies you are 50% more likely to be selected whether there or not ;) but seriously any ideas/thoughts.

M

maildraw

St Pius drew with Aloyo's on Saturday 10 all. Aloyo's scored two tries in the first 10 min. St Pius then woke up and was a good struggle from there. No 7 from Pius best in their team as judged by Aloyo's. Pius plays Grammar this Saturday.

M

maildraw

Oxford Falls undergoing new drainage sytem. Bottom grounds done but top ground not yet due to delays with rain. Could affect fixtures in the coming months

N

no_name12

i would say that auggies will get the majority in only because they are good players not because they play for st Augustines..... But obviously selections would have to be Jason Date, Tom rous (St Stannies boy) No.7 form piux Nick Pasqualini, tim Conlon, Rhys Dombkins, JJ purcell and my tip for dark horse selections this year i would say a few boys from Stannies will find there way into first and second. Possible line up? who would be best suited for the captancy role? my opinion either Jason Date as he shows good leardership skills at Kinross and always shows by example no matter what the scoreline reads. Or Rhys Dombkins as he is an Aus schoolboys and will lead a team with his talent,leadership and go-forward attitude.

L

Lineout

Stannies beat barker 38-17 at stannies, fairly dominant all game with 4,6,7.
7, Sam Gemmell had a blinder and is definatley in contention for ISA 1st XV, despite his size, he is very quick, tough and very mobile and really puts it to the bigger men, including around 10 jackals a game.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Oakhill went down 7 - 19 to Knox last Saturday. Their lineout was poor, therefore struggled for ball and didn't achieve any continuity when they did get the pill. No. 8 and Captain, Pettenon and No. 12, Woodward had strong games. Will be a good afternoon at Northbridge this Sat with Oakhill playing Shore 2nds and Stannies lining up againt Shore 1sts.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
I agree with all of the above... agreed that Auggies will have a strong showing as they seem to be the benchmark this year again. Stannies sound as though they had a good win against Barker but I would have to say Stannies at home are far stronger than when they travel and Barker at home are also stronger. These are two sides that definitely do not travel well.. understandably. Saw the Oakhill game and agree that there were some strong performances and Knox should be the favorite for this years CAS title. Oakhill lineout wasn't working but the amount of turnover ball outside the lineout killed them. It was a greasy day but Oakhill really handled it terribly. The ISA First XV will be interesting and I think Musson played very well and Pettenon and Woodward as well as per Crofty's observatin. I beleive that Musson and Woodward are league players hence their defensive abilities - did not see much of them in attack to passs any comment on that.

It will be an interesting couple of weeks leading up to an early opener by Oakhill and Stannies a week earlier than the rest.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
I would be interested to know how all the Firsts games went today. Particularly intered in the Oakhill and Stannies trials v Shore at Northbridge. Who were the stand outs in the teams and how is it looking for the start of the season in a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.