• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2014

2014 Champions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We have heard from both sides of the alleged Incident between St Pats and Augies.

A witness will be taking it further with an appropriate authority, for their information and action as appropriate. - Wise move.

Debate on that incident is over for the time being.

The Mods

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Stannies 32 - Pius 10
Pius led 10-8 running with the wind in the first half.
Stannies used the wind better and kept Pius pinned in their own quarter for most of the second half. Whenever Pius had possession they were under pressure and were unable to maintain any rythem.
18-10 with about 7 mins to go, then Stannies ran in two late tries.
Pretty scrappy game from both sides.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pius 16A beat Stannies 13-7.
I didn't see the game and I am reporting what I was told.
Apparently lots of niggle and the ref called off the game early after a Pius boy was dropped by a head but.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
I must admit I had a chuckle when I read one of the earlier posts that claimed "Pats has an excellent reputation for sportsmanship"

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
Just wanted to comment on the Auggies #12 from yesterday's 1st XV - I think his name is Luke Lough(?). What a talented player. He scored Auggies first try and quite frankly a stronger running centre i haven't seen at this level for a long time. I think he represented ISA this year - has he had further rep honours this year? Further to his ability, i saw him genuinely assist an injured Pats player off the ground following a ruck - quality indeed. I'd like to think we start to focus on this sort of behaviour and ability on this forum rather than other "stuff".

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Just wanted to comment on the Auggies #12 from yesterday's 1st XV - I think his name is Luke Lough(?). What a talented player. He scored Auggies first try and quite frankly a stronger running centre i haven't seen at this level for a long time. I think he represented ISA this year - has he had further rep honours this year? Further to his ability, i saw him genuinely assist an injured Pats player off the ground following a ruck - quality indeed. I'd like to think we start to focus on this sort of behaviour and ability on this forum rather than other "stuff".

NSW Schools

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep. There were two Lough boys playing at the Australian Schoolboys Champs this year.

Luke (U16 qualified) was starting #12 for NSW I.

James (Year 12) was Captain and No 8 for NSW II.

Both had strong tournaments.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
St Augustine's 25 St Patrick's 16
St Pats lead 9-8 at 1/2 time on the back of the southerly gale and three penalties from around the 50m. The way the ball flew they could have been from 60. Though the game was four tries to one (with St Augustine's having three or four scoring opportunities disallowed). St Pat's deffence was outstanding and prevented Augies from developing any significant breakout in points. A Pat's converted try with five minutes remaining brought them back to within 2 points. The result could have gone either way until the Brookvale team's fourth try in the 70th minute. Full time was blown a few minutes later after Augies were again held up over the line.

Augustine's dominated possession and territory throughout the game, though they had the greatest impact when the forwards played their direct, fast and accurate game with passion. On several occasions this seemed to coincide with what the team may have collectively perceived as some universal injustice. It was good to see improvement in the 9 and 10 combination on the back of the solid platform provided by the forwards.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
We have heard from both sides of the alleged Incident between St Pats and Augies.

A witness will be taking it further with an appropriate authority, for their information and action as appropriate. - Wise move.

Debate on that incident is over for the time being.

The Mods

thanks for short circuiting this to and fro'. At times I have found the conversations on this thread a little disappointing in the way it gets bogged down in "youtube" quality debate. I am sorry for the negative experience at the u/15 and have seen some of the current 1st XV subject to similar from other schools they have visited. Similar has been reported on the "decline in Sydney Juniors" thread. I will not ever know how hurtful this systemic racism is to the subject of such abuse or prejudice, or how often it is encountered.

I would hope as the truly international sport, Rugby is it is well placed for breaking down this racist-idiot mind set. At rep levels and squads I have been witness to there has been time put aside to educate players on behaviour and expectations. this is often broadened to identifying sexist attitudes and behaviour. Such education is invaluable in the blokes world that (schoolboy) Rugby can be. Hopefully this is filtering through the entire community.

Cyclops

Stan Wickham (3)
Yesterday's opens XV at Breen really does warrant a second review.

A bunch of drover's dogs against a more fancied rival. Pats had the better pre-game situation; the underdogs, who needed to play above themselves to match their rival. St Augustine's needed to win. They had the burden of being favourites. They were expected to win.

The match opened at a ferocious pace. Augustines big pack were dominant. Pats tacklers were cartwheeling backwards and being trampled, as Auggies forwards and backs ran with purpose and power. In attack, Pats had limited effect. Pats #13 was obliterated by a 2 man tackle pod (fully legal). He was later ambulanced for further attention. Thanks Auggies #12, for ignoring the play and showing genuine concern for this player in difficulty.

Pats took a penalty to hit the front, 3-0. Auggies struck back quickly, with a try out wide; 5-3. Pat's struck back with another penalty; 6-5. Auggies returned fire with a penalty, as did Pats. Hat's off to Pats goal-kicker; he was on-fire today. The third penalty sailed 42 metres to the posts, over the black dot, over the fence, over the road and into Mrs Brown's roses; 127 metres, on-the-fly.

The first half was a great performance by Pats. To go to oranges at 9-8, in front of such a powerhouse squad, was a real achievement. The main concern in the Pat's cohort, was that they couldn't possibly repeat that effort, throughout the second half.

It was on again in the second half, Auggies big men came out with renewed vigour, but there was no soft defence in the middle. The big men were making yards, but Pats forwards defence was like a nuisance fox terrier, nipping at the ankles. The free-running Auggies pack created half-breaks, but the terriers were swarming. Time and again, the big runners were brought down by 1 leg or half a boot.

Auggies structure at the breakdown was impressive. They controlled their own possession and distributed the ball with variety and intuition. Both sides of the ruck were tested. They were able to retain ball fairly easily; their consistent phases often produced 50, or more, metres of territory. This form reaped its reward, in 2 tries out wide. Auggies skipped to 20-9; was this the flood-gates, beginning to open?

The match settled back into this dour struggle. Auggies had the majority of possession throughout the match, due to their superior ball control. St Pats defence was unflinching; right down to a desperate ankle-tap by Pat's #14; indeed, every Pats player was totally committed to this battle. Some possession stayed with Pats for a period, and they were able to move up-field. Pat's attack was impressive, they made clean breaks with clever long passing and willing runners. As the bigger Auggies team began to tire, we saw Pats create a few line breaks and strong runs bearing fruit. This culminated in a converted try out wide to Pats. 20-16 - Game on!

An awkward restart saw Pats back-pedalling again. Auggies ball control converted this to possession on Pats try-line, but they still couldn't get through the middle. A series of 'pick and drive' moves came up empty, as the Pats terriers held firm. A penalty was issued and the pick-and-drive started again. Finally, a grounded Auggies player was able to drag the try-line forward and place the ball on it. Try! 25-16.

The restart, again, saw Auggies approach Pats line. Pick and drive, again, but no success; culminating in the final play being held-up over the line. Full-time.

This was a great game to watch, played in great spirit, by both teams. Pats could have improved their general kicking in play - no one in particular, but looking back at the match, too many kicks went wrong. Aside from this, the boys from Pats put up a legendary performance, a- la '300 Spartans'.

Play of the day: Camped on Pat's tryline, Auggies fed the ball back to a rampaging #3. Surely this was try-time. Pat's #8 stood his ground and tackled #3, ball-and-all; relieved him of possession and placed him on the ground, with a tap on the head. They had a brief chat; and both ran off smiling; they seemed to know each other from somewhere. Great play; Great game.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Play of the day: Camped on Pat's tryline, Auggies fed the ball back to a rampaging #3. Surely this was try-time. Pat's #8 stood his ground and tackled #3, ball-and-all; relieved him of possession and placed him on the ground, with a tap on the head. They had a brief chat; and both ran off smiling; they seemed to know each other from somewhere. Great play; Great game.

2012 ISA u16 Squad is the connection I believe

rugbymaster94

Frank Row (1)
Prediction for Oakhill vs Pats this weekend? If the result goes pats way does that put them into equal 2nd place with kinross and augustines?

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
I think that you will find that Augustines have never beaten Pats in this age group.

Yes QH, I can confirm that in this age group (16s) and grade (A) St Augs has not won against St Pats in many years.
Yesterday was the same. It did not help that several key backs were unavailable for a variety of reasons.
However St Augs will continue to strive for excellence in rugby (to paraphrase the great Dr Lambert) in this age group into 2015.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Prediction for Oakhill vs Pats this weekend? If the result goes pats way does that put them into equal 2nd place with kinross and augustines?
Pats are very willing competitors and should draw some confidence from this weekend's match. Pats will be missing the home ground advantage from augies perspective it would be good to see a strath field victory.
Kinross will have lost too many matches without bonus points for tries or <7 loss to be in the three way second
Augies have not failed to gain a bonus point in any match and would be expecting another next week.
A good win to Pats could set up a 1st for SAC. I am of cause making a lot of assuming based on one of the Brookvale managers being pleased with the bonus point win this weekend
I don't know who else might be in the picture

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
ISA Table top 3 with match to play
Oak Pats and Augies have all had their bye round which counts as 0
Oaks may have an extra point if they scored 4 tries against Stannies

Position Points points dif. BP included
1 OAK 23^ +124 3
2 Augies 21 +137 5
3Pats 15 +96 3

Augies play Pius X this week I know it is not reasonable to assume anything but it would be a remarkable reversal of form if they were to not achieve a bonus point win

with OAKs and Pats playing off it would not be totally unexpected for Pats to sneak in a win though it is at Castle Hill. Both teams are blessed with remarkable goal kickers, both blessed with range and accuracy.

the knowledge of the bonus point or not from Oak Hill v Stannies may have some bearing on all the possible iterations
but ultimately a loss with two bonus point would put oaks at best 26 possibly 25
a win without a bonus point would have Augies at 25 or with 26 with
for and against looks heavily weighted to Augies at this time

oakhilldad

Stan Wickham (3)
ISA Table top 3 with match to play
Oak Pats and Augies have all had their bye round which counts as 0
Oaks may have an extra point if they scored 4 tries against Stannies

Position Points points dif. BP included
1 OAK 23^ +124 3
2 Augies 21 +137 5
3Pats 15 +96 3

Augies play Pius X this week I know it is not reasonable to assume anything but it would be a remarkable reversal of form if they were to not achieve a bonus point win

with OAKs and Pats playing off it would not be totally unexpected for Pats to sneak in a win though it is at Castle Hill. Both teams are blessed with remarkable goal kickers, both blessed with range and accuracy.

the knowledge of the bonus point or not from Oak Hill v Stannies may have some bearing on all the possible iterations
but ultimately a loss with two bonus point would put oaks at best 26 possibly 25
a win without a bonus point would have Augies at 25 or with 26 with
for and against looks heavily weighted to Augies at this time

oakhilldad

Stan Wickham (3)
So essentially the oakhill vs pats this weekend is the ISA grand final. Assuming augies beat pius, and oakhill win or draw against pats, then oakhill take the ISA premiership. If oakhill lose against st pats, and this will be a close game, then augies will get the flag. I will be cheering loudly at Castle Hill this Saturday!

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
If a Draw between Pats and Oaks, Oaks will have to score 4 tries to get a bonus point and to 27 - out of reach of a 5 point bonus win to Augies (again assuming Augies can score four tries). as for and against are in Augies favour at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.