• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Driscol

Bob McCowan (2)
I think it could be a blow to the boys confidence, I mean its never good to lose an upset at home... I think that they should still however gain some confidence from the Gregs game. However I thought Kinross would be a good confidence booster aswell. Ive heard a lot about the KWS V SSC game through many notable sources as one to watch, could Stannies be the dark horse of the ISA? Even with a few major player injuries confirmed, some good depth and heart could change the whole dynamic of the competition. Augs have also only lost one game and have a good home run to end the season so they should convert some strong wins and claim the top of the table once again.
Tips:
Stannies by 5
Augs by 10>
Oaks by 10>
Pius by 35> (seeing as they are playing second grade)
Should be a good week, glad to see how competitive ISA has become!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^It will be interesting to see how Pius go v Augustine's 2nds. I wouldn't think that they would win by 35 though. I'd say this game would be a 50/50 proposition at best for Pius.

Steve Driscol

Bob McCowan (2)
I think it could be a blow to the boys confidence, I mean its never good to lose an upset at home... I think that they should still however gain some confidence from the Gregs game. However I thought Kinross would be a good confidence booster aswell. Ive heard a lot about the KWS V SSC game through many notable sources as one to watch, could Stannies be the dark horse of the ISA? Even with a few major player injuries confirmed, some good depth and heart could change the whole dynamic of the competition. Augs have also only lost one game and have a good home run to end the season so they should convert some strong wins and claim the top of the table once again.
Tips:
Stannies by 5
Augs by 10>
Oaks by 10>
Pius by 35> (seeing as they are playing second grade)
Should be a good week, glad to see how competitive ISA has become!

the bulldog

Stan Wickham (3)
Full time ssc 10 - kws 3, stannies defence very good but probably lucky it was wet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outsideback21

Bob McCowan (2)
Match Report: Stannies vs Kinross

Standing in the cold on the sidelines I didn't envy the 30 boys on the field, who all looked frozen. Despite the cold, the game did not disappoint, with brutal running, bone crunching tackles and drama that you'd expect from a KWS SSC game. Kinross looked good with ball in hand initially, putting Stannies under much pressure, particularly when the Stannies 12 Vietch was yellow carded inexplicably for a punch thrown by an ill disciplined Charlie Mortimer (The nature of the game I guess, due to the emotions running wild during the fixture). Stannies defence was excellent all game, causing error after error that contributed to Kinross losing crucial ball. However, Kinross did have some standouts, with powerful running from the 6 Joe Yeomans being complimented by a strong scrum-half. Despite this, I feel the rest of the Kinross backs struggled under poor playing conditions, with the 5/8 and centre combo being shut down effortlessly by the Stannies backline. Stannies are shaping up to be a real threat this year, building from a poor game against Augies to become one of the competitions front-runners

Some stray observations:
-Strong scrum from Kinross, with some marginally legal but effective play shutting down what has been an effective Stannies scrum in the previous weeks.
-Poor discipline from both teams: both sides were often caught up in fights and niggle, with a Stannies player on one occasion tripping someone from Kinross. However, while this often occurs in games of such emotion and passion, I thought the Kinross 12, Mortimer's antics were a bit extreme; I watched him throw numerous punches throughout the game and also caught him pulling the Stannies 6, Ward's hair in a maul. Was surprised a red card was not given, however I understand that refs often do not see these things occurs, plus, Stannies gave as good as they got.
-Good even refereeing throughout the game.

Looking forward to the coming weeks, this year is proving to be the most exciting ISA season in recent memory!

the bulldog

Stan Wickham (3)
Omg sorry but that report is nowhere near accurate, Charlie Mortimer got a stiff arm from veitch and retaliated, stannies very lucky to get a wet day.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Have scores only, no idea of how the games went:

Augs 1sts def Gregs 37-5

Pius def Augs 2nds 19-7

Augs 16As 72 St Pius 7
Augs 15As 41 St Gregs 7

1sts was a better game than last week (clearly), a slightly different formation and positions, and a few 16s got a run including the enormously talented Albert Hopoate.
Freezing cold gusty wind did not help with conversions at all.
Gregs boys did well, had some good line outs, looking forward to Round Two in a few weeks

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Augs 16As 72 St Pius 7
Augs 15As 41 St Gregs 7

1sts was a better game than last week (clearly), a slightly different formation and positions, and a few 16s got a run including the enormously talented Albert Hopoate.
Freezing cold gusty wind did not help with conversions at all.
Gregs boys did well, had some good line outs, looking forward to Round Two in a few weeks

Augustines 14As won confortably I believe against Pius. An interesting refereeing display saw an 0-0 second half.

Outsideback21

Bob McCowan (2)
Omg sorry but that report is nowhere near accurate, Charlie Mortimer got a stiff arm from veitch and retaliated, stannies very lucky to get a wet day.

I don't think it's fair to say that Stannies only got lucky because it was a wet day. By that same logic you could say Kinross got lucky that it was a wet day if they were to win the game. The results of earlier fixtures also shows how Stannaies weren't only just lucky, as they have consistently fared well this season, whilst Kinross only has one win

Ball in hand

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don't think it's fair to say that Stannies only got lucky because it was a wet day. By that same logic you could say Kinross got lucky that it was a wet day if they were to win the game. The results of earlier fixtures also shows how Stannaies weren't only just lucky, as they have consistently fared well this season, whilst Kinross only has one win
Augustines 14As won confortably I believe against Pius. An interesting refereeing display saw an 0-0 second half.
St Augs 15B's played Pius 15As and won 50-5 at Pius

pekingduck

Bob McCowan (2)
Oakhill vs St pats was a cracker game. Douei (?) from St pats played a great game and I believe scored all the points for them. He is a Tigers under 20's player as well. The forwards were pretty well matched from both teams. I believe the Oakhill No. 4 got MOM. The difference really came from a better attacking set starting from the no. 9 who was terrific. A mongrel in attack and defence. The no. 15 starred again and was a standout. Penalties were evenly matched which was nice for an away game. And apparently the mums at St Pats put on a great spread with lots of fancy desserts for the boys...well done St Pats and Oakhill for a great spectacle played in good spirits.
Highlights for Oakhill posted:

Stephen Moore

Bob McCowan (2)
Match Report: Stannies vs Kinross

Standing in the cold on the sidelines I didn't envy the 30 boys on the field, who all looked frozen. Despite the cold, the game did not disappoint, with brutal running, bone crunching tackles and drama that you'd expect from a KWS SSC game. Kinross looked good with ball in hand initially, putting Stannies under much pressure, particularly when the Stannies 12 Vietch was yellow carded inexplicably for a punch thrown by an ill disciplined Charlie Mortimer (The nature of the game I guess, due to the emotions running wild during the fixture). Stannies defence was excellent all game, causing error after error that contributed to Kinross losing crucial ball. However, Kinross did have some standouts, with powerful running from the 6 Joe Yeomans being complimented by a strong scrum-half. Despite this, I feel the rest of the Kinross backs struggled under poor playing conditions, with the 5/8 and centre combo being shut down effortlessly by the Stannies backline. Stannies are shaping up to be a real threat this year, building from a poor game against Augies to become one of the competitions front-runners

Some stray observations:
-Strong scrum from Kinross, with some marginally legal but effective play shutting down what has been an effective Stannies scrum in the previous weeks.
-Poor discipline from both teams: both sides were often caught up in fights and niggle, with a Stannies player on one occasion tripping someone from Kinross. However, while this often occurs in games of such emotion and passion, I thought the Kinross 12, Mortimer's antics were a bit extreme; I watched him throw numerous punches throughout the game and also caught him pulling the Stannies 6, Ward's hair in a maul. Was surprised a red card was not given, however I understand that refs often do not see these things occurs, plus, Stannies gave as good as they got.
-Good even refereeing throughout the game.

Looking forward to the coming weeks, this year is proving to be the most exciting ISA season in recent memory!

Pretty much sums the game up, Mortimer got 10 in the bin for his little attitude meltdown as did Veitch for a marginal swinging arm. Thats just the way the game goes i guess. Overall the weather was the same for both sides so to blame it is ludicrous! Stannies just outclassed on the day, and I mean really a tough penalty count didn't help Kinross in some respects but it was warranted.
I think the personal performances can be put down to weather with Kinross not offering much in the centres. A standout of mine was No.9 Max Manson (yes thats his real name) from KWS who basically controls the entire backline. He and Yeomans held the side together in what would've been a mediocre game. I think KWS will struggle to beat Stannies in Bathurst however it may be achievable if they put emotion aside and play structured disciplined rugby just as they have in Sydney.
I pretty much agree with the above observations however niggle wasn't quite as bad as made out from my view. (must just be old eyes i guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.