• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Israel Folau can send this thread to hell and no others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He was stating his beliefs as he is taught and believes,

That's irrelevant. What he said is clearly offensive to others.

His comment clearly indicates that he thinks that there is something wrong with someone for being gay and that they are inferior to others.

This has nothing to do with religious tolerance. He is free to observe his religion. The line is clearly when his observance of that religion impacts on others via his homophobic comment.

Words matter.

Anyway, it seems like plenty of people will never be convinced that this should matter at all and that any reaction by Qantas or RA is completely over the top.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The really ironic thing is that Jesus (as far as we can glean, from the very limited reliable information that we have about him) was born, lived, and died as an observant Jew.

He preached in the synagogues, which kind of hints that he embraced Judaism.

There is no "hell" in Judaism.

T

TOCC

He was stating his beliefs as he is taught and believes, nothing prophetic about it

Yet when Pocock states his beliefs and calls out Potgeiter for making derogatory remarks callin someone a ‘faggot’ on the field you took real issue with it and stated that it should have been done off to the side once the match was finished so it doesn’t make a scene. Why have you not demanded that Folau should have done the same thing, expressed his views in a medium which didn’t cause such a scene?

Or is this a case it’s ok when those beliefs allign with your own, but it’s not ok when they don’t?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There is no "hell" in Judaism.

Or at all.

Listen+--+strange+women+lying+in+ponds+distributing+swords+is+no+basis+for+a+system+of+government..jpg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yet when Pocock states his beliefs and calls out Potgeiter for making derogatory remarks callin someone a ‘faggot’ on the field you took real issue with it and stated that it should have been done off to the side once the match was finished so it doesn’t make a scene. Why have you not demanded that Folau should have done the same thing, expressed his views in a medium which didn’t cause such a scene?

Or is this a case it’s ok when those beliefs allign with your own, but it’s not ok when they don’t?

It is called context and nuance. I, for some strange reason, think the rugby field and a question on social media are different

T

TOCC

To my mind your question denies each party their individual right to be themselves, making noone happy

Rather why cant each party be themselves despite what is said - requiring an element of respect not witch hunt

So you’re saying Christians can’t be happy unless they’re telling the world gays should go to hell?

As for your second point, I agree, people should be able to hold whatever sexual orientation suits them without having people like Folau incite witch hunts telling them they’re going to hell.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That's irrelevant. What he said is clearly offensive to others.

His comment clearly indicates that he thinks that there is something wrong with someone for being gay and that they are inferior to others.

This has nothing to do with religious tolerance. He is free to observe his religion. The line is clearly when his observance of that religion impacts on others via his homophobic comment.

Words matter.

See this is where we completely disagree, I don't see someone taking offence at his beliefs as an issue at all.

Hey, many a Christian maybe offended about Pfitzy's post above as well, is it OK to be offended by Folau's beliefs, but OK to post what maybe considered by some offensive memes about Christians?

I do get amused with the number of people taking offence on behalf of others on the internet

T

TOCC

It is called context and nuance. I, for some strange reason, think the rugby field and a question on social media are different

Yet you took issue with negative comments harming the Australian Rugby brand, your issue was that Pocock critisiced the use of ‘faggott’ which brought media scrutiny, perhaps I need to refresh you on what you said::

]Ahh no it hasn't, there was no benefit to the Australian Rugby brand whatsoever in highlighting to the world that homophobic taunts are still happening.

But now that the comments are on the other foot, now that it’s someone criticising homosexuality and damaging the brand by association you jump to their defence and claim it’s free speech and one expressing their own beliefs.

I guess the true context depends on whether your beliefs align with those creating the ‘scene’ or not

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
So you’re saying Christians can’t be happy unless they’re telling the world gays should go to hell?

As for your second point, I agree, people should be able to hold whatever sexual orientation suits them without having people like Folau incite witch hunts telling them they’re going to hell.

I agree with you, because like you I think Folau's belief is hateful, made up garbage.

But put yourself in his shoes. If you believed, as Folau does, that homosexuality is sinful and to avoid hell required someone to repent or seek redemption from Jesus/God, then you would believe the best thing you can do for gay people is to spread the word so that they can avoid hell. You could argue quite easily from that starting point that saying such things comes from a place of love for your fellow men and women.

If your inclusion policy tolerates all religious beliefs, then you have to be prepared to tolerate the religious views and spoken beliefs that aren't themselves fully tolerant.

T

TOCC

This thread isn’t what people joined this forum for, defend Folau all you like but the fact is his comments fuelled this page to 10 pages long, thats says enough about the contentiousness of his comments. I don’t enjoy this discussion, I despise that it needs to be had and frankly some of the comments are just wilful ignorance, both sides can choose who they think that applies too. I wish Folau never said w

Enjoy your rugby lads... this isn’t enjoyable

TOCC out

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But put yourself in his shoes. If you believed, as Folau does, that homosexuality is sinful and to avoid hell required someone to repent or seek redemption from Jesus/God, then you would believe the best thing you can do for gay people is to spread the word so that they can avoid hell. You could argue quite easily from that starting point that saying such things comes from a place of love for your fellow men and women.

If your inclusion policy tolerates all religious beliefs, then you have to be prepared to tolerate the religious views and spoken beliefs that aren't themselves fully tolerant.

I think the first paragraph is a stretch. The context around it is pretty clearly one that suggests that gay people are inferior.

No you don't. Tolerance only needs to extend to the point at which someone else's views start impacting negatively on others.

Hey, many a Christian maybe offended about Pfitzy's post above as well, is it OK to be offended by Folau's beliefs, but OK to post what maybe considered by some offensive memes about Christians?

Whilst there is plenty of Monty Python that would offend Christians, I'm unsure where the legend of Excalibur fits within their belief system.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yet you took issue with negative comments harming the Australian Rugby brand, your issue was that Pocock critisiced the use of ‘faggott’ which brought media scrutiny, perhaps I need to refresh you on what you said::

But now that the comments are on the other foot, now that it’s someone criticising homosexuality and damaging the brand by association you jump to their defence and claim it’s free speech and one expressing their own beliefs.

I guess the true context depends on whether your beliefs align with those creating the ‘scene’ or not

I still see both as different (I am impressed with your efforts to find an old post ;) )

I still think Pocock should have sat down with Pots after the game instead of running to the ref

And Folau? he was asked a question about his beliefs and answered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.