• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

It's Goodbye for the Fainga'a Twins

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
@FaingaaTwins said:
It's goodbye for Fainga'a twins http://fb.me/JScng82y
https://twitter.com/#!/FaingaaTwins/status/171391790409195520

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r-Fainga'a-twins/story-fn8t7efs-1226275214898

THE Fainga'a twins could be lost to Australian rugby, victims of ARU cost-cutting that will force them overseas and apart for the first time in their careers.
The charismatic Reds duo, who were part of the Wallabies World Cup campaign, have fallen out of the top tier of locally contracted players, meaning the big money on offer overseas is getting harder to ignore.
The ARU is attempting to stem serious financial losses by slashing the number of contract top-ups it offers from about 50 two years ago to 26.
The Queensland Reds have presented upgraded offers to Saia and Anthony but the money is dwarfed by interest from Japan and France.
But the chances of the Faingaas being signed by the same overseas club are slim, which means that after 20 years and more than 400 games together from the under-6s to Super Rugby to the World Cup, the off-contract brothers will be torn apart.
Their manager, Peter Apolakiatis, has begun negotiating with separate overseas clubs. "Overseas is a genuine option and they are prepared to finally split up and explore all opportunities," Apolakiatis said. "A Japanese club is in the process of offering Ant a contract, and so is a French club."
The Faingaas, who went through school and junior sides together before playing for the Brumbies, joined Queensland in 2009 as a package deal.
They are devastated to be ending a rugby partnership that started in Queanbeyan when they were five.
"They are absolutely (shattered to be splitting)," Apolakiatis said.
"However, it comes a time where these decisions need to be made.
"As we all know, you have limited amount of time to (earn money as a professional athlete)."
Saturday's Super Rugby match against the Waratahs is the first of the season, but it may be the last time the Faingaas play in Sydney this year unless named for the Wallabies or NSW host a final against the Reds.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
This is sad news. While neither is a first choice wallaby nor an up and coming prospect who could one day be world-class, these are exactly the type of players that Australia needs to keep. They provide depth to Aus rugby and are instrumental in ensuring that younger players with potential are both forced to fight for their position and introduced into a team with experience and rugby nous.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's their choice, quite a few of our elite playing group could earn more money playing overseas. This is just a fact of life.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Every country struggles to keep the second best 15 players. Personally I think both of them could improve from stints in france and could come back to further their wallaby careers.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
The bigger issue here for me is that the ARU are only funding 26 players - that seems too small to me. 50 might be too many but 26 is just a match day 22 plus 4 backups.

Whilst the ARU has a budget to deal with, money has to be invested if we are serious about becoming number 1 as was a goal stated after the world cup

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
The bigger issue here for me is that the ARU are only funding 26 players - that seems too small to me. 50 might be too many but 26 is just a match day 22 plus 4 backups.

Whilst the ARU has a budget to deal with, money has to be invested if we are serious about becoming number 1 as was a goal stated after the world cup

How many does Cricket contract? I would think you wouldn't want to go lower than 30 (typical squad size) but perhaps 26 gives them the base plus a few to test out.

That being said, ARU decisions are rarely anything other than cost based.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't really understand why the ARU needs to cut down the amount they spend. In the CBA I am sure there is a certain percentage of rugby related revenue that has to be spent on players. If this amount has been reduced I would have thought RUPA would be up in arms.

Also While I have a huge amount of respect for both of the brothers I don't think that they will be overly missed. There are players in the Reds squad who will take their spots and it gives a few youngsters a chance to step up. There has to be player movement each year and if it means the Reds keep some of their young talent then all the better.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
How many does Cricket contract? I would think you wouldn't want to go lower than 30 (typical squad size) but perhaps 26 gives them the base plus a few to test out.

That being said, ARU decisions are rarely anything other than cost based.

I think that cricket has 30 players contracted on a ranking system which is reviewed annualy. Thats accross all 3 formats of the game.

D

daz

Isn't this just paper talk from an agent trying to drive up their contracts?

Considering the agent is the only bloke quoted in this story tells me you might be right on the money, fp.

And how the merry bunch of G&GR lads and ladies do love a public and protracted negotiation process. This fella obviously fell in love with the QC (Quade Cooper)/SBW Khodar negotiation model and thunk to himself, "hey, to hell with public perception, thats the model for me!"

T

tranquility

It would be a shame to lose them to Australian and Reds rugby, as they have contributed greatly to what the Reds have achieved and they are the type of professional footballers that set standards and bring depth to the national setup. However as Jets stated, if they did leave their are players currently in the stable that would step in seamlessly.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Both might even struggle to keep starting spots for the Reds this season.

They are both great guys, and work hard for the team so it would be a shame to lose them, however I believe they are already playing to their potential, and there are others who may prove a lot better in the long run.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Considering the agent is the only bloke quoted in this story tells me you might be right on the money, fp.

And how the merry bunch of G&GR lads and ladies do love a public and protracted negotiation process. This fella obviously fell in love with the QC (Quade Cooper)/SBW Khodar negotiation model and thunk to himself, "hey, to hell with public perception, thats the model for me!"

What's the purpose of a manager if he's not trying to get the best deal for his player(s)? I see nothing untoward in what he has done. There is no apparent animosity to the Reds, and he is just doing the right thing by his players, who look to have had some income taken away from them.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not sure what to think here. Would be ap pity to see them go, not as much for their on field exploites but the amount of time and stuff they put into the game will be missed. I think Ant will create a bigger hole then Saia, but as others have said, the current stable should step up. Diggers might have a word and they will stay....

G

Geeves

If I believed everything I read in the paper Digby would be playing for Japan for this season, the wallabies won the RWC, the Crusaders have already won the 2012 Super 15 and Abbott is the PM.

I think if both Fainga'a's are enjoying their rugby at the Reds they will stay.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
From a community point of view, it would be an absolutely shocking loss. They're one of the few professional athletes who actually seem genuinely interested in being involved in everything they can.

Sure the ARU might make a loss from keeping the added "Wallabies" on the payroll, but from a marketing perspective these two would be a huge benefit to get bums on seats.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
If I believed everything I read in the paper Digby would be playing for Japan for this season, the wallabies won the RWC, the Crusaders have already won the 2012 Super 15 and Abbott is the PM.

I think if both Fainga'a's are enjoying their rugby at the Reds they will stay.

Well I think the paper will at least get one of those right with the Crusaders :D But I do agree that if they enjoy their time at the Reds then we should expect to see them remain. IMO Anthony & Saia can still gain much & provide much for the Reds by staying there under link, regardless of what level of rep Rugby they play I think its better for Aus Rugby that they stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.