• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

I've lost my voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I have a really bad flu at the mo (as I've mentioned in some other threads). It seems to go thru phases. Last week Mon & Tues was sniffle only, then Wed (the day after I went to the Aus-Scot game) thru to Fri it was extreme nose blockage from swelled sinuses - could not sleep because of it & used about 3 bottles of Nyal nasal spray to try & keep it clear. Saturday & Sunday I went thru the head ache & nausea stage. Monday & Tuesday I'm now going thru the mucus & coughing & no voice phase. I saw the doctor Tuesday who said using too much Nyal actually does the reverse & blocks the nose even more. She said in terms of the voice I just need rest.

Now, I know rest is the best thing as the doc said but does anyone have any home remedies or things that have helped speed up getting their voice back? (aside from not talking). I'm curious because I've seen advice online that says drink plenty of cold drinks due the vocal cords being swollen & others saying warm drinks like Tea.

Given I have a reputation with my family & mates as a smart arse there are quite a few of them that have been celebrating my temporary muteness - I need my voice back ASAP! ;)

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ha...and sorry that you can't rip back into your family and mates atm, but am sure you'll save some for later when you make a complete recovery...

Suggest a nip of scotch in hot water and lemon with a touch of honey might do the trick!

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
My voice is just returning, but it's loss was associated with an incident on Saturday night in Brisbane. Like you Angry all my work collegues & family & friends are thinking that it is just farking hilarious!

Hot water, honey & lemon (with or with out the alcohol depends on who is anoying you) is good. I also find Camomile & Spearmint tea helpful. (Can't stand camomile on it's own).

If you nose is still blocked hook into the chilli.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Voice still gone. Congestion is gone just about though which is good. SFR, chilli is a good suggestion for me as I love the stuff (had chilli with crumbed cutlets the other night) but it did more for the congestion than the voice. It certainly is a pain the arse to have people pay you out for no voice but I find raising my fists to remind them I'm still capable of non-verbal forms of communication does the trick :).

I really like the suggestions. I'll give them all a go today.

Doc has said no Rugby this week for me due to being sick :(.

Update: I have received from some "super lozenges" from an older local friend of mine, (fellow Sader supporter who lived in Christchurch years ago). He gave them to my Ma & said that apparently the AB's use them (or did, I don't know what team/era he is referring to). They look friggen strong, I'll let people know how well that turns out......

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I really like the suggestions. I'll give them all a go today.

Doc has said no Rugby this week for me due to being sick :(.

Make it up to your own team and call in at the training session of their opponents for the upcoming match tonight and pass your germs around... :p Tell them its 'loving your opponents' or such theme this week! So you can hug (or more!) them... :)

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The voice has returned! Oh glorious day! Had a go at all suggestions. I don't know which one worked. Lets just say it was a team effort!

Now I have chest pains from coughing up my lungs but I'm hoping this is the end of it.

Cheers for the advice all!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
The voice has returned! Oh glorious day! Had a go at all suggestions. I don't know which one worked. Lets just say it was a team effort!

Now I have chest pains from coughing up my lungs but I'm hoping this is the end of it.

Cheers for the advice all!

AS, Senega and Ammonia Mixture (200ml bottle) is good for "chesty coughs", as it helps loosen and remove phlegm, and soothes throat irritation. It costs around $5-$6, and it works. I was put onto it by a friend whilst staying in Leonora, WA years ago. His description of it was: "It tastes like shit, but all the mine workers out here swear by it"! Good health.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
AS, Senega and Ammonia Mixture (200ml bottle) is good for "chesty coughs", as it helps loosen and remove phlegm, and soothes throat irritation. It costs around $5-$6, and it works. I was put onto it by a friend whilst staying in Leonora, WA years ago. His description of it was: "It tastes like shit, but all the mine workers out here swear by it"! Good health.

Cheers Mr Doug. :)

Well I've never heard of this one before! The flu is still going around here I actually saw someone buying some cloudy ammonia at the shop recently so maybe they were looking at the same remedy.

I'm on the mend now but I'll be using this thread in future cases of flu if I need reminding of the remedies. I'll have to try your suggestion next time!

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

OMG they still make this!!!!! And the description is entirely accruate. Was favourite cure-all of the nurses at boarding school.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
What do you do with it? drink it (I assume since it tastes like shit)? how much, how often?

Details people.

It's on the label: Adults 10-20 mls, every 4 hours, (orally).

Bloody Angry Seahorse has sent her rotten illness from her keyboard to mine and into my body, causing me to spend today in bed and miss earning an income! (Mongrel computer viruses).
That's on top of The NSW Blues losing by one point last night, somebody up there must hate me!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's on the label: Adults 10-20 mls, every 4 hours, (orally).

Bloody Angry Seahorse has sent her rotten illness from her keyboard to mine and into my body, causing me to spend today in bed and miss earning an income! (Mongrel computer viruses).
That's on top of The NSW Blues losing by one point last night, somebody up there must hate me!

Oh god no that's bad news Mr Doug! I even wouldnt wish this flu on my worst enemy. After last nights catch up game it refreshed it. Now I can't train tonight. :(

I skipped watching SOO & I'm glad I did given what went down. Damn it Blues! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.