• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jackson Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
You've nailed it Barbarian, balance is key.
Though I reckon with Watsons injury liability that he's too much of a risk to be seen as the Mr Reliable. If, he keeps on bowling, I think he should be the man to go to for a couple of overs here & there to look for the breakthrough wicket that he has a knack for taking. Too much bowling & he'll break something again, sadly.

Torn Hammy, Cummins may one day command to be first picked, but not yet by any stretch, he has a way to go to prove that worth. Right now it has to be Siddle, love the guys attitude & work ethic.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like Birds reverse swing against the left handers how it swings in & then moves across & away from the left hander off the seam. I think we have great depth ATM with our seamers.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think we have great depth width ATM with our seamers.

The fast bowlers' lounge ATM contains Siddle, Bird, Starc, Johnson, Pattinson, Cummins, Hilfenhaus and Copeland. McKay's been injured and looks to be on the way back, as is Harris. Kerry O'Keeffe speaks highly of Ben Cutting from WA Qld and others spruik Josh Hazlewood from NSW. There's no doubt any of these blokes would perform well if selected but we need to let a couple of this lot develop into 300+ wicket takers. Rotation permitting, that is.

barbarian mounts a convincing case to select a troupe of fast bowlers with a considered balance to its selection; I totally agree. A hard-nosed enforcer (Siddle or Pattinson) paired with an accurate left-armer (Starc or an in-form Johnson) and supported by another who can bend the ball at will (Bird and Hilfenhaus when he keeps his arm up high) should get us through most matches. Can't say I know much about Copeland. Luckily for us at the moment there are enough reserves for when one of this lot go down wounded.

If only we could say the same about our batting. :(

corrected

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ben Cutting plays for QLD & he is very good but like every fast bowler has been struck down by injuries. I also like like young McDermott I remember him carving up in the under 20 cwc.

T

Train Without a Station

It's all about balance. I reckon the best Australian bowling attack has to have one each of the following three player 'types':

1. Attack leader- Siddle, Pattinson.
2. Mr Consistency- Hilfenhaus, Bird, Harris, Hastings, Siddle, Hazlewood
3. Wildcard- Johnson, Cummins, Starc, Pattinson

You need a bloke to spearhead the attack, bowl the brunt of the overs with a mix of consistency and brilliance. That for me is Siddle- he should be the first picked every time. Maybe Pattinson could do it, but I'm not sure yet.

Then you need someone who can bowl a tight line and length and tie the batsman down. This was an overlooked factor in our Ashes losses- while everyone focussed on Mitch's erratic efforts, barely a word was said about Hilfy, Harris and Bollinger's complete inability to build any pressure at all. Without consitency and pressure, the next guy is useless, and that guy is.

A wildcard, a wicket taker. Someone who may leak a few runs, but can produce unplayable deliveries on a semi-regular basis. They can bowl short, sharp spells and scare the shit out of batsmen.

Personally I think you are right with the comment of balance. But incorrect on where me of the players fall.

Siddle is not an attack leader. Doesn't offer enough in any facet. If he is one of our top 2 bowlers we are in trouble. Whilst he may be first picked to slot in as the 3rd bowler, he doesn't offer enough to take the new ball successfully.

I think really our best 3 would be Pattinson, Bird and Siddle. Bird is probably the only one lay a claim to be the McGrath consistent type. That may change as he plays more games though. Pattinson is your leading bowler. He takes ball one. Next best I'd say we have Harris, if it, and Johnson. Starc and Johnson are similar, but Johnson is the better. Starc hasn't played considerably better than Johnson or shown he can do a lot more than him in his career, where Johnson has. Johnson would be the option to replace Pattinson if injured whilst Harris would be the best replacement for Siddle. Harris is the better bowler, but injuries haven't enabled him to be any more than a fringe player.

With regards to the others, Hastings showed in Perth he's not up to it, Hilfenhaus has failed to cement a spot after years in the set up and Starc is just behind Johnson. Cummins may change all this, but needs to prove himself in more than 4 FC games and 1 test.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Siddle is the guy who is the attack leader because he is the most reliable, most resilient and can bowl long spells.

He's the guy who you can put through hell and he'll still be bowling over 140km/h in the final overs of a test when he is struggling to walk and our other bowlers and injured. Every bowling attack needs a Peter Siddle type bowler who can bowl long spells, consistently bowl in the right areas, keep things tight and take wickets. Having someone like that helps you attack more from the other end with someone like Johnson.

Completely different bowler, but McGrath was the attack leader even though people like Brett Lee for plenty of McGrath's career was the strike bowler and was bowling about 20km/h faster.

Starc is far from the finished product but at age 22 and a 6'5 left armer, he has the most upside of any of our bowlers. Purely looking at physical characteristics, Starc could be incredible in the future. He has the best yorker in the country.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Starc is an immense talent, but really needs to tighten up his action to get more consistent. He could become our next Bruce Reid (without the injuries) if he does this.

Our best bowling attack on potential alone:

Starc
Cummins
Pattinson

That is a scary line up to face! Just need a good spinner and a medium pacer that can give those blokes a rest. I also like Bird who can play the McGrath type role.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...-riches-to-focus-on-ashes-20130124-2d9as.html

Mitchell Starc has turned down playing in the IPL to focus on being ready for the Ashes.

That's a huge decision for the guy who hasn't played IPL but was player of the tournament in the most recent T20 Champions League. He is literally turning down a million dollars for six weeks work.

Well done to him though for making that decision. I hope it pays dividends for him by being selected for the first Ashes test.

Status
Not open for further replies.