• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

James Horwill stripped of captaincy

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ben Mowen now captain, Quade Cooper as VC.

Kev only stays in starting XV because of Simmons injury.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Good for Quade. Watching him mature over the last year has been great. It suggests there's hope yet for the other amigos.

As for Kev, well, I've not really rated him as an on-field captain -- although I have no doubt he's got great leadership qualities off it. Rarely do you hear him engaging the ref coherently, and the team has not exactly been composed under his leadership (cf. leaking of tries in bursts). I'd really like to see him playing at a high level before any consideration is given to him getting the job back.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'm a bit stunned, but link is not the one to back away from the tough calls. Big kev is either gonna come out and turn the poms into pups, or he is going to get worse. Reckon link thinks the former will happen, otherwise he might not have done it.

Good to see Lilo coming back from injury. Good looking team.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Didn't see that coming. Not in squad vs Lions... not starting in TRC... now VC for Quade?

He's clearly a confidence guy and it seems McKenzie is trying to give him more confidence by offering him this.

I think it's an insane move - but it could be a masterstroke. But I'm going to stick with insane.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I think you're reading too much into it. He's VC, it's just a title unless Mowen gets injured during the week and he plays 80 mins every game.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Big Kev is a good captain for one reason: He inspires the guys around him. He is not calm and collected when making decisions or when talking to the ref.

Mowen has refs eating out of his hand and nine times out of ten chooses the right option when he needs to. He is pretty inspiring as well.

Horwill can still inspire players as non-captain, nothing lost here, everything gained.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Well deserved for Mowen, Cooper a very interesting choice as VC given he hasn't captained (or hasn't done it much if he has)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Didn't see that coming. Not in squad vs Lions. not starting in TRC. now VC for Quade?

He's clearly a confidence guy and it seems McKenzie is trying to give him more confidence by offering him this.

I think it's an insane move - but it could be a masterstroke. But I'm going to stick with insane.

One thing that will happen is that Spiro will go totally ape! The man who brought down his beloved Dingo is made VC.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it's a great move. Horwill needs to concentrate on his own game first and foremost. I suspect we'll see an improved performance from him this week.

I expect Mowen will also give an extra 10% this week. He really is a guy that seems to relish the captain's arm band.

Moving forward I think it is important that we have a few potential captains to turn to. You need to have that confidence that you can change captains if players are out of form. I was actually starting to worry that big Kev had a mortgage on that jersey, simply because of his captaincy. The decision by Link is a big statement. It says that no player is safe, but equally that players who show leadership qualities will be rewarded.

People probably underestimate the importance (particularly at test level) of having a captain that can play the referee as well as they play the game. Gregan was great at it. Mowen seems to have the same ability. Kev doesn't have it. He's a "lead by example" captain, and lately he's not even doing that.

for the WC I see Mowen and Pocock as our captains, with Big Kev as our VC.

Status
Not open for further replies.