• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan Super Rugby team

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Let's not jump to conclusions that RG is putting Goromaru at 15 and hunt at 13. I think they are ear marked at 4 and 5. Need Simmons and Douglas height in the centres to catch Slippers high balls when passing in the 10 jumper.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Let's not jump to conclusions that RG is putting Goromaru at 15 and hunt at 13. I think they are ear marked at 4 and 5. Need Simmons and Douglas height in the centres to catch Slippers high balls when passing in the 10 jumper.

Bwahahaha! Big belly laugh. Thank you.

Ahem. Back on topic, crack on SunWolves.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It is also worth pointing out that it is relatively easy to get Australian citizenship, it is nearly impossible to get Japanese citizenship if you are just a nobody.

[Oh God, I've actually taken the bait.]

OK, why?

RunnerGunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
The positive for Japan of having guys in other teams is that it will allow them to build more depth for the national team. But those next players have to be good enough to compete and maybe they aren't yet.

From the sounds of it the JRFU really have to make some serious reforms from grassroots through to high performance structures. Eddie Jones didn't seem to think it would happen though.

It seems to be as much of a societal attitude to sport as it is the JRFU.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Apparently the SunWolves will name their squad at the beginning of December.

Tanaka is staying with the Highlanders. Seems strange to me. He'd be a certain starter at the SunWolves. And if he didn't want to stay in Japan he'd probably start for a few other Super Rugby teams as well!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe he loves Dunedin? Or the Highlanders? Or the people he plays with there?

Given that it's now season 4, plus he played a season of ITM for Otago, yes? Not unfeasible to suggest he'd be very happy to play there for less money or starting time, as long as it didn't jeopardize his international time, which on the basis of players like Leitch, shouldn't.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Apparently the SunWolves will name their squad at the beginning of December.

Tanaka is staying with the Highlanders. Seems strange to me. He'd be a certain starter at the SunWolves. And if he didn't want to stay in Japan he'd probably start for a few other Super Rugby teams as well!
Tanaka prefers the rugby environment outside of Japan and is happier at the Highlanders, even if he isn't starting.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With Sunwolves not seemingly signing majority of their national team compared to Argentina (who of course are much stronger rugby nation) this is not looking good for Japan next year.

Suspect they are going to be the whipping boys of super rugby for a few years until wholesale reform of Japanese Rugby structure

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
We got Sio, TPN, Kepu, Pocock, genia, Quade, tomane, speight, palu, kuridrani, and folau...not to mention naiyaravoro, maafu, faulkner, smith, cowan, timani, skelton, sautia, Fainga'a, Fainga'a, tapuai and betham who are all capped..Some were born here, some weren't.
flyhalves either?

flog mate, get your facts right.
Kepu, Sio, Palu, Polota-Nau were all born in Sydney. Folau was born in Minto. How does that make us anything like japan? almost every other player bar Speight, Naiyarovoro and Betham played age grade for Australia or have lived here since they were under 10. Leitch is just about the only player to have lived in japan for that long. America are the real shameless team with regards to this anyway.

The whole issue doesn't bother me but don't sprout this shite and expect it to slip.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
flog mate, get your facts right.
Kepu, Sio, Palu, Polota-Nau were all born in Sydney. Folau was born in Minto. How does that make us anything like japan? almost every other player bar Speight, Naiyarovoro and Betham played age grade for Australia or have lived here since they were under 10. Leitch is just about the only player to have lived in japan for that long. America are the real shameless team with regards to this anyway.

The whole issue doesn't bother me but don't sprout this shite and expect it to slip.

Excuse me idiot, get my facts right? Only fact I stated was that "some were born here, some weren't". Which is correct.

I am merely highlighting the issue with us, the masses, determining who has 'heritage' and who doesn't. Everyone has different criteria determining this, so those having a go at Japan for using 'non-heritage players', could also apply that reasoning, though with varying criteria, to just about every country in World Rugby.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Walked past a couple of Japanese blokes on George St today, sporting their rugby Jerseys. I congratulated them. They couldn't get a word of English out but I gathered they will be coming back to watch Super Rugby in Aus and NZ once their team travels.

When I told them I was South African the one bloke hugged me and they said thank you!

:D

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
lay on the sofa like a fat drongo and watched the whole round of Top League last weekend, not easy when they have games kicking off at same time. had no idea the season was halfway through. The standard's improved out of sight from a coupla years ago. Less of the "catch 6 passes then drop the 7th" scenario. Far more vicious at the ruck too. The retirement home vibe seems to be gone, some bigtime bok players going around. H.Pollard, Bruno Elizabeth, Steyn, H.Brussow, Potgieter, Spies, De Allende, Coetzee. I wonder if they'll be back for Super 17?

Suntory: not much.
Panasonic: a shitload

These 2 sides are usually 1st and 2nd? Suntory were hapless and hopeless. F. Du Preez and S.Burger in the stands. Tusi Pisi & Matsushima looked lively for them but were undone by their forwards getting swarmed. Panasonic's Heenan a munty MOTM ihomo. With Ben Mcalman and JP Pietersen, a v.solid lineup. Too bad about the 3 gaijin limit on the field at one time. Gonna be some flash looking benches. Panasonic also have Dwarfpants Tanaka and Berrick Barnes, who was subbed off for Hayden Parker. FFS, Parker will be rooting getting the megabucks at only 24.

Yamaha: 18
Toyota Verblitz: less than 18.

Still not sold on national hero Goromaru. Seems to quite gladly flip hospital passes to his wingers when he's under the kosh at the back. Mose Tuiali still doing the business. Robbie Robinson off the bench. Fucks me off this guy is not in NZ. That U20 world cup win, with Cruden at 10, he was goddamn ax-murder.

Toshiba: 40's
Kubota: 3

No sign of Toeava for Kubota. Maybe he's at home on the playstation. Bit wet outside.
didnt sight S.Bates or Latimer for Toshiba. Or Messam. Kahui and F.Steyn very involved although Steyn looks to be following a strict "fuck the gym" training regime, supplemented purely and solely by ramen and cake. Together.

NEC: some
Toyota: some more

NEC's Higginbotham with some clusterfuck moments here.

NTT Docomo: 23
Coke: 19

NTT have H.Pollard, Bruno Elizabeth & H.Brussow. Don't even bother running into Bruno. Maul, held up, turnover. Surely all 3 will be back for Super16?
Coke's Nick Cummins made a couple of spazzy runs into turnovers and that was his lot.

Kintetsu: Yes
Honda: No

Kintetsu with Pierre Spies and De Allende will surely do well in the after-match rooting stakes.
Honda's Marcel Coetzee has signed up for a lot of grotwork here ihomo.

NTT Shining Arcs (surely with a silent c): Lots.
Ricoh: way less

I think I saw NTT's Isaac Ross shaking hands at the end. No idea if he was on the pitch or not. Mafi at #8 is a real munter for them. Perfect choice for Auckland Blues marquee player. Too bad they could only pay him in tea and handshakes.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
lay on the sofa like a fat drongo and watched the whole round of Top League last weekend, not easy when they have games kicking off at same time. had no idea the season was halfway through. The standard's improved out of sight from a coupla years ago. Less of the "catch 6 passes then drop the 7th" scenario. Far more vicious at the ruck too. The retirement home vibe seems to be gone, some bigtime bok players going around. H.Pollard, Bruno Elizabeth, Steyn, H.Brussow, Potgieter, Spies, De Allende, Coetzee. I wonder if they'll be back for Super 17?

Suntory: not much.
Panasonic: a shitload

These 2 sides are usually 1st and 2nd? Suntory were hapless and hopeless. F. Du Preez and S.Burger in the stands. Tusi Pisi & Matsushima looked lively for them but were undone by their forwards getting swarmed. Panasonic's Heenan a munty MOTM ihomo. With Ben Mcalman and JP Pietersen, a v.solid lineup. Too bad about the 3 gaijin limit on the field at one time. Gonna be some flash looking benches. Panasonic also have Dwarfpants Tanaka and Berrick Barnes, who was subbed off for Hayden Parker. FFS, Parker will be rooting getting the megabucks at only 24.

Yamaha: 18
Toyota Verblitz: less than 18.

Still not sold on national hero Goromaru. Seems to quite gladly flip hospital passes to his wingers when he's under the kosh at the back. Mose Tuiali still doing the business. Robbie Robinson off the bench. Fucks me off this guy is not in NZ. That U20 world cup win, with Cruden at 10, he was goddamn ax-murder.

Toshiba: 40's
Kubota: 3

No sign of Toeava for Kubota. Maybe he's at home on the playstation. Bit wet outside.
didnt sight S.Bates or Latimer for Toshiba. Or Messam. Kahui and F.Steyn very involved although Steyn looks to be following a strict "fuck the gym" training regime, supplemented purely and solely by ramen and cake. Together.

NEC: some
Toyota: some more

NEC's Higginbotham with some clusterfuck moments here.

NTT Docomo: 23
Coke: 19

NTT have H.Pollard, Bruno Elizabeth & H.Brussow. Don't even bother running into Bruno. Maul, held up, turnover. Surely all 3 will be back for Super16?
Coke's Nick Cummins made a couple of spazzy runs into turnovers and that was his lot.

Kintetsu: Yes
Honda: No

Kintetsu with Pierre Spies and De Allende will surely do well in the after-match rooting stakes.
Honda's Marcel Coetzee has signed up for a lot of grotwork here ihomo.

NTT Shining Arcs (surely with a silent c): Lots.
Ricoh: way less

I think I saw NTT's Isaac Ross shaking hands at the end. No idea if he was on the pitch or not. Mafi at #8 is a real munter for them. Perfect choice for Auckland Blues marquee player. Too bad they could only pay him in tea and handshakes.

Was there a noticeable upswing in the numbers in the stands watching? Was wondering if we'd see any growth of bums in seats after Japan's recent success'.

T

TOCC

Was there a noticeable upswing in the numbers in the stands watching? Was wondering if we'd see any growth of bums in seats after Japan's recent success'.

based off the first two rounds, crowds have increased and Goromaru is now a fan favourite. I still think the average crowd at the Top League games are 5'000.

Round 1
“It was a great match that’ll be a positive connection to the next one,” Goromaru said.
More than 9,000 spectators attended the game in Yamaha Stadium in Shizuoka Prefecture. His presence is certainly responsible for attracting more fans. Said Goromaru: “A lot of children came to see the game today. Yamaha’s side in the stands was filled with spectators. I’m so happy.”Speehttp://www.the-japan-news.com/news/article/0002582355

Round 2
Goromaru became the second player after Nicholas Ryan of Mitsubishi Sagamihara DynaBoars to reach 1,000 cumulative points, doing so in front of 8,676 spectators, a stadium record for a rugby match. No tickets were sold on the day, and some fans were seen trying to get a glimpse of the match from nearby buildings.
http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0002564818

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone have any information or predictions about who the Sunwolves have signed/will sign?

Some speculation...

- In terms of national team players w/o confirmed super contracts (No Leitch, Tanaka, Gorumaru, Tui) Horie, Inagaki, Hatekayama, Broadhurst, Thompson, Mafi, Hirose, Ono, Tatekawa, Sau, Yamada, Matsumashima, Fujita would be the primary targets of management one would think.

- Understand that Quirk and Tusi Pisi have been mentioned in the same breath as the Sunwolves and both would be okay signatures.

- Team would look okay if they could attract some of the internationals playing top league with super rugby experience like Hattingh, Brussow, Nanai Williams, Barnes, Higginbotham.

Looking forward to seeing the team but suspect very few of these names will feature unfortunately.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Anyone have any information or predictions about who the Sunwolves have signed/will sign?

Some speculation.

- In terms of national team players w/o confirmed super contracts (No Leitch, Tanaka, Gorumaru, Tui) Horie, Inagaki, Hatekayama, Broadhurst, Thompson, Mafi, Hirose, Ono, Tatekawa, Sau, Yamada, Matsumashima, Fujita would be the primary targets of management one would think.

- Understand that Quirk and Tusi Pisi have been mentioned in the same breath as the Sunwolves and both would be okay signatures.

- Team would look okay if they could attract some of the internationals playing top league with super rugby experience like Hattingh, Brussow, Nanai Williams, Barnes, Higginbotham.

Looking forward to seeing the team but suspect very few of these names will feature unfortunately.

Supposedly they've signed Eagles 7s and 15s rep Andrew Duratalo.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think there were reports before the world cup (or maybe during it) that they'd signed at least 10 of the world cup squad. Hopefully they've signed most of those primary targets you mentioned.