• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan Super Rugby team

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Counter Conspiracy Theory Moment:

Eddie Jones is going to the Stormers to make sure that the new Japanese Franchise gets at least 2 wins. EJ (Eddie Jones) may be going there as a deliberate act of sabotage bastardry from the JRU, or the JRU have encouraged him to go knowing that it may just happen organically.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
these poor foreign rugby bastards trying to gauge what the fuck the japanese are up to.

www.nzherald.co.nz/best-of-sport-analysis/news/article.cfm?c_id=1502180&objectid=11500986

I KNOW.

There will be silence, then more silence and then there will be nothing.

"But, but, you've had from last fucking November! Why didn't you say anything!" [in regards to not even starting a team, no name, no stadium, no players signed, the aussie coach - smartly reading the writing all over the japanese wall - just left for South Africa]
**teeth sucking sound** "It is regrettable."

J rugby is happy with their company team system. To start a whole new system? With Japanese bureaucracy and unanimous agreement harmonious meetings? That would be at least 10 years of planning. See ya in 2025 guyz

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Just give them the Reds players who don't want to play under Graham - that should be plenty for a team. Assuming of course, that these players haven't already been hovered up by the Melbourne Reddles or Eastern Force.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
image.jpg

So what's Plan B? A 7-team Sethfricka+Argentina conf? Presumably too late to rejig the whole shambles into a 2-conf, 16-team comp what with broadcasting contracts & all that other mere detail stuff.............

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just to clarify, by a 16 team comp I mean Argentina stay in given they've clearly invested a lot of time, effort & no doubt cash into setting their team up, even to the extent of requiring players to be domestically-based in order to qualify for National honours.

T

TOCC

Eddie Jones confirms he will be stepping down following the 2015 RWC.

"The (Japan Rugby Football) Union are going to announce this afternoon that I will not be continuing after 2015," he told Kyodo News.
"That was always the case as my contract was until the end of the year, so all they are doing is stating the obvious."
"People assumed that as I had been named the director of the new Super Rugby side I would stay on. But that was just an administrative role not a coaching role. All I was doing was help get it set up."

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2015/08/370841.html

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's surely not that shocking at all given they have signed 5 players and should start preseason in a couple of months.

T

TOCC

They wouldn't get much of a preseason even if they had signed players, the Top League goes over that period. There's only a small break between the end of the Top League and the start of Super Rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Lol wamberal you posted that 1 month ago after the rumours were already filtering out of Japan, I don't think that qualifies for a Nostradamus moment of quoting one self.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Asia-Pacific Dragons were pretty close to being awarded the 18th license. They would seem the most likely Plan B to me.

T

TOCC

I see one of a few options occurring:

-Japan scrapes together a team for 2016, gets flogged.

-Japan get cut altogether, Super Rugby proceeds with a 17 team comp.

-Japan entry gets delayed for 1 year.

-Japan gets cut, expansion franchise option put out to bid again, with entry option for 2017.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The PI Dragons concept playing out of Singapore is a pipe dream; it'll be as successful as the Singapore Slingers basketball side were in the NBL, if it ever gets up that is. Super Rugby'd be much better advised trying to raise a Hong Kong team.

To my mind this rush for expansion is mystifying. There are SO many issues to be addressed with the current Super Rugby structure, crowds for a start. I s'pose we have some responsibility to lift the profile of rugby in Argentina as they're now our fully-fledged brothers in SH rugby, but the travel! It's horrendous. Trying to squeeze a Japanese franchise into an 18 team competition was letting the dazzle of dollars cloud our judgement. The Super Rugby fella who manages the draw put up a proposed one for 2016 at a recent RBN meeting in Sydney, I got a headache trying to figure it out. The Heineken Cup's been going since 1996, the same as Super rugby, but they seem to've settled on a standard conference format (borrowed from European soccer) and stuck with it. Even the recent revolt by English and French clubs hasn't caused any major alterations to the competition format.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon they'll probably come through in the end. They just might not end up with as many Japanese players as they'd like for the first season if this standoff with the company teams continues.

But they could always sign a bunch of players cheaply from Fiji, Samoa and Tonga. The Fiji Warriors were pretty much equal to the Pampas this year (played 3 times for 1 win and 2 close losses) so there's plenty of talent in the islands.

Long term they need to get significant corporate support to have any chance.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The PI Dragons concept playing out of Singapore is a pipe dream; it'll be as successful as the Singapore Slingers basketball side were in the NBL, if it ever gets up that is. Super Rugby'd be much better advised trying to raise a Hong Kong team.

To my mind this rush for expansion is mystifying. There are SO many issues to be addressed with the current Super Rugby structure, crowds for a start. I s'pose we have some responsibility to lift the profile of rugby in Argentina as they're now our fully-fledged brothers in SH rugby, but the travel! It's horrendous. Trying to squeeze a Japanese franchise into an 18 team competition was letting the dazzle of dollars cloud our judgement. The Super Rugby fella who manages the draw put up a proposed one for 2016 at a recent RBN meeting in Sydney, I got a headache trying to figure it out. The Heineken Cup's been going since 1996, the same as Super rugby, but they seem to've settled on a standard conference format (borrowed from European soccer) and stuck with it. Even the recent revolt by English and French clubs hasn't caused any major alterations to the competition format.

Geographic expansion is necessary if SANZAR has any chance of competing with European club rugby and holding onto top players in the long term. Our markets are just too small (and in the case of Australia, too competitive with 2 very strong substitutes).

The way they've gone about it and structured it is questionable for sure but expanding into Asia is a good move IMO.