• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan Super Rugby team

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Doesn't it need to be produced in Scotland to be called Scotch?

Yes. Funnily enough, only Scotland make Scotch whisky.

The Yanks still produce Champagne. Not sure that I would drink it, though.

It's now just sparkling wine like it is in Australia. I think the closest you can get to calling it Champagne now is saying that it is sparkling wine made using the méthode traditionnelle.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Septics may still be producing "champagne" but the minute they start discussions to export their wine to the EC the Europeans will insist they call their bubbly something else.

TBH, I'm surprised there's still "champagne" produced in America, the Champagne industry body (AVC) are punctilious in their protection of the name. IIRC the French attacked us over the use of the name in the 80s, it was the first time a European wine-producing body sought to protect a regional name. That action pre-dated the general agreement with the EC which insisted we cease to use names such as sherry, burgundy, hermitage (it's now called "Grange"), tokay, port, etc. Veuve Clicquot are equally punctilious attacking wine producers who use orange labels, they even tried us on when we started to call wines from Orange, Orange wines. We won that one.

Addendum: Bh beat me to it. He's quite right, the AVC have even trademarked the term "methode champenoise", sparkling wine producers around the world who use the champagne-making method call it "methode traditionnelle".

T

TOCC

BH is right, yanks can't call it champagne anymore. I think there are a few cases where some of the older US brands are allowed to still call themselves Champagne but it's not that common anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
What exactly is you point MHCS?
These broad genetics statements about the Japanes people are cringeworthy to read.

Japan as a test team have beaten other rugby playing nations int he world, including Wales, Italy, Fiji and Tonga in the past 5 years.. that's the real measure of of their rugby playing ability and the only one I care about. A Japanese Super Rugby team will need a few foreign players to be truly competitive, but Japan with an improved professional structure will be able to field a competitive team drawing from the current pool of players.

This topic has already been discussed and this was the winning answer:

Dont be such a wank about it, generally speaking japanese people are small compared to a world average, same as generally speaking islander people are bigger than the world average which makes them such great rugby players. It is what it is, of course there are thousands upon thousands of exemptions to the rule but if we are using Japan as the example, even the big guys that they do have are outliers amongst their team mates and opposition meaning they are never put in a physically competitive environment and do not gain the experience that they would playing in other regions of the world and are less likely to develop and succeed as professional athletes. So yes it is very relevant, the Japanese union will have imports but they also need to rely on locals as the base of their team and whether you like it or not the general size of japanese men works against them in a pro rugby environment whether its the players personally or their development through competition during their formative years.

In saying that i think so long as japan is kept in super rugby they will eventually become competitive and be a good inclusion into the tournament both from a financial perspective as well as bringing a slightly different style of football to the competition.

Sorry thought I'd point out something a bit different that they may have to deal with rather than "ummm they need good management annnnd ummmmm they need to travel well ummm and also need to make sure they are financial secure" like no shit they need to do that and if you can't see that the small stature of Japanese people can have a negative impact in the overall competitiveness of their professional franchise then you have rocks in your head. Look at tanaka from the highlanders, he has a awesome skill set and a amazing pass but gets bitched in 7 different directions because of his size he is 75kg and 1.66m tall the average Japanese male is roughly 1.71m tall and 67kg. Looking at this he is more or less average height and weight for a Japanese male (I'll consider the extra 8kg is just muscle from being a pro rugby player) but struggles to be physically competitive at super level, like REALLY struggles and this is a full blown international player

T

TOCC

right..
I would rather focus on the product of their efforts rather then their physical stature... Japan has been increasingly competitive in international rugby for the past 10 years. In 2004 Japan were ranked 20th in World Rankings and improved to the point where they were actually 9th in 2014

Japan have been highly competitive in the Pacific Nations Cup having beaten Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, USA and Canada in recent years, points differential is on average less then 2 tries and Japan took out the championship as recently as 2011. I mentioned earlier that Japan have in the past couple of years defeated both Italy and Wales, both teams were missing key players but its still indicative of Japan's improvement.

Yes Japan are still a tier 2 nation and will be for quite some time, but they are improving and they are a competitive Tier 2 rugby nation, if the Japanese Super Rugby team is able to field many of their test players in Super Rugby then i don't doubt it will give a few teams a run for their money.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I really hope you don't make a living from doing any sort of statistical analysis.........

I'm sorry can you just list the names of Japanese rugby players that have been physically dominant in super rugby? We've had a few come over and be part of squads in the last couple of years, there should be plenty of options

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
I really hope you don't make a living from doing any sort of statistical analysis...

I'm sorry can you just list the names of Japanese rugby players that have been physically dominant in super rugby? We've had a few come over and be part of squads in the last couple of years, there should be plenty of options

What a shit argument.

Not all of them have got game time- and game time in rugby is based on more than sheer physical dominance. Different positions have numerous different requirements, so the imputation that they have been denied opportunities because of physical deficiencies is absolute bullshit.

I can name plenty of non-Japanese players that have failed to be physically dominant, by the way.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Shota Horie more than held his own at hooker for the Rebels.

This is a weird argument you guys are obsessing over. There are big and tall Japanese people, just like there are Dutch jockeys. Averages are pretty irrelevant when you're talking about such a large population. And not everyone that represents Japan is ethnically Japanese anyway.

Plus, rugby isn't necessarily won by the biggest and most powerful team. If it was the Springboks would never lose. Japan have their own unique style of play based around speed. What they need to improve is simply greater exposure to a higher level of play. They'll get that in Super Rugby.

Finally, if you'd followed the Japanese team at all over the past couple of years you'd know one of the strongest parts of their game has actually been their scrum. They brought in a French scrum coach, he changed the conditioning of the front row players, improved their physiques and a year or so later they were pushing the All Blacks off the ball. You can see the very noticeable improvement in this video:

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
What a shit argument.

Not all of them have got game time- and game time in rugby is based on more than sheer physical dominance. Different positions have numerous different requirements, so the imputation that they have been denied opportunities because of physical deficiencies is absolute bullshit.

I can name plenty of non-Japanese players that have failed to be physically dominant, by the way.

are you fucking serious?

do you think part of the reason they do not receive game time is that they are not physically up to standard? are you saying their non-selection, as test players in a provincial based competition is 100% skill based? I saw the tahs japanese import player play shute shield this year, his skills are fine, however while he was one of the better players he wasn't nearly physically dominant enough as a test player in a ametuer comp should be.

Thats not relevant, im asking for ONE, japanese player that is a dominant physical presence in a super rugby, ill even widen it to include other competitions too.

seriously, i may not agree with some of the other guys on here but at least i can see where their arguments are coming from, that post was just crap.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Shota Horie more than held his own at hooker for the Rebels.

This is a weird argument you guys are obsessing over. There are big and tall Japanese people, just like there are Dutch jockeys. Averages are pretty irrelevant when you're talking about such a large population. And not everyone that represents Japan is ethnically Japanese anyway.

Plus, rugby isn't necessarily won by the biggest and most powerful team. If it was the Springboks would never lose. Japan have their own unique style of play based around speed. What they need to improve is simply greater exposure to a higher level of play. They'll get that in Super Rugby.

Finally, if you'd followed the Japanese team at all over the past couple of years you'd know one of the strongest parts of their game has actually been their scrum. They brought in a French scrum coach, he changed the conditioning of the front row players, improved their physiques and a year or so later they were pushing the All Blacks off the ball. You can see the very noticeable improvement in this video:
Let's be real Horie was the best Hooker the rebels had.. I Have no Idea why his Game time Wasn't more

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The three Japanese players who have played any reasonable amounts of Super Rugby have all been decent. Shota Horie and Male Sau for the Rebels and Fumiko Tanaka for the Highlanders.

Various other Japanese players have been signed on development contracts because they don't form part of the regular squad. They also arrive after the season commences so it's not surprising that they don't figure in the Super Rugby matchday teams.

Of the ones playing in 2015, Hendrix Tui spent most of the year out with a broken leg however he did play at the end of the season and looked like a strong, physical backrower.

This is such a stupid discussion though.

All anyone is asking is for a couple of people to stop making posts based on ridiculous stereotypes such as all Japanese people are small and soccer players are pansies.

T

Train Without a Station

do you think part of the reason they do not receive game time is that they are not physically up to standard?

How many players who come from Shute Shield or NRC are immediately up to standard from a physical, conditioning and skill perspective? You have to consider that much of this is due to the step up from Top 14 to Super Rugby.

Players will not likely be at, or get to Super Rugby level by playing Top 14 Japanese Top League.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The three Japanese players who have played any reasonable amounts of Super Rugby have all been decent. Shota Horie and Male Sau for the Rebels and Fumiko Tanaka for the Highlanders.

Don't forget Japan's captain Michael Leitch, who played 13 games for the Chiefs this season in the backrow and was voted their rookie of the year.

Unfortunately for the Japanese Super Rugby team he's re-signed with the Chiefs.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Changing direction, the issue with the Japanese Super Rugby team appears to be resistance from the local clubs. Could the Japanese appease them by promoting the Japanese companies behind the Japanese Top League. For examples players who are supplied from the Top League have the company name on the back of their jersey (e.g. Panasonic, Coca Cola, Sanix, Toyota etc) these companies would get bragging rights they have players at this level and their companies would be promoted on a broad platform SANZAR and UK.
The Japanese Super Rugby team would still have front of Jersey, shorts and sleeve sponsors for themselves.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Gaki played well in the minimal opportunities he had at the Rebels, usurped Gillespie for the 3rd string loosehead. Was just unfortunate that the injuries and suspensions we had were all on the tighthead side.

He's not been listed as departing from the Rebels (the only one yet to be announced as either gone or re-signed) so if the Japanese team falls over, he might be back for us next season.