• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan Super Rugby team

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
How many players who come from Shute Shield or NRC are immediately up to standard from a physical, conditioning and skill perspective? You have to consider that much of this is due to the step up from Top 14 to Super Rugby.

Players will not likely be at, or get to Super Rugby level by playing Top 14 Japanese Top League.
Like Scott Fardy.. Oh Wait.. Jap top League is way better then Ss

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well, that was fun while it lasted. The Japanese Super Rugby side looks like it's not going to get to the starting gate: did Steady Eddie's absence prove fatal? Anyways, the prospect of a Japanese/Saffer conference with matches played in Mongolia, Iceland and other out-of-the-way venues mutually acceptable to two intransigent participants proved to be impossible to organise, probably not unexpected. I always felt this expansion was too much too soon. Yes, we must expand into Asia, but let's make it something that can work. Some serious work developing conferences where matches aren't scheduled to be played on the Moon, or Mars, has to be done before silly things like including Japan and South Africa in the same group in future. Read here: http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...petition-as-well/story-fndpt9s1-1227521800001

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, that was fun while it lasted. The Japanese Super Rugby side looks like it's not going to get to the starting gate: did Steady Eddie's absence prove fatal? Anyways, the prospect of a Japanese/Saffer conference with matches played in Mongolia, Iceland and other out-of-the-way venues mutually acceptable to two intransigent participants proved to be impossible to organise, probably not unexpected. I always felt this expansion was too much too soon. Yes, we must expand into Asia, but let's make it something that can work. Some serious work developing conferences where matches aren't scheduled to be played on the Moon, or Mars, has to be done before silly things like including Japan and South Africa in the same group in future. Read here: http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...petition-as-well/story-fndpt9s1-1227521800001

That immediately poses more questions than it answers. The current three conference system allows a maximum of home timezone games. I've had a 30 second think about it and can't come up with a 16 team format that doesn't severely reduce home games. Two conferences means Aus will have to split their teams, three conferences can't be done unless they are unequal, four conferences will split every country. Its an absolute nightmare result and because Argentina are committed completely we can't go back to this year's format.

Nightmare scenario!!!

We should have gone with three conferences: Argentina grouped with NZ, Japan grouped with Australia and six SA teams. That was way better for timezones but who knows why that didn't get up. And whether or not that far more sensible option was taken, nothing works now because the Japanese have imploded. I suspect this is because the entrenched power structures couldn't cope with change and loss of power. Not just the Australian rugby community has structural problems and internecine fights.

T

TOCC

I don't see the draw been a massive issue.

A 2 group model still works.. The teams weren't equally split in the original structure and they still don't have to be under a new 16 team model:

Previous Japan structure
-Australasia Group(10 teams):
-Australian Conference: 5 teams​
-New Zealand Conference: 5 teams​
-South Africa Group(8 teams):
-Africa 1 conference: 4 teams​
-Africa 2 conference: 4 teams​
New structure without Japan/Kings
Australiasia Group: (10 teams)
-Australia:5 teams)​
-New Zealand:5 teams)​
South Africa Group: (6 teams)
-South Africa Conference: 6 teams​

Australian teams:
6 games against AUS
5 games against NZ
4 games against RSA
2 Byes

RSA Teams:
11 games against RSA
4 games against NZ/AUS
2 Byes

QF/SF/GF Final series

Or they could revert to the 2015 structure

Australia Teams:
8 games against AUS
4 games against NZ
4 games against RSA
2 Byes

RSA Teams:
8 games against RSA
4 games against NZ
4 games against AUS
2 Byes

SF/GF Final series

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
OK, but I can't see the SARU abandoning the Kings in any circumstances.

SARU are worried they the Kings don't have the players signed nor the overall depth in SA to field a reasonable team.

The resistance that they have to be in the competition is more likely to be political as the Kings play out of Port Elizabeth which to my knowledge has a higher black African population than lots of the other rugby bases.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
FIFA won't tolerate ANY government interference in the affairs of soccer and has suspended many national FAs when politicians try to meddle where they shouldn't. Those of us not resident in South Africa can only imagine the deprivations the black population suffered the last 60 years, but the SAf government strong-arming rugby's not going to solve their problems. The SAf bully boys leaning on the SARU to include a sixth Super Rugby side in the Eastern Cape for their own political ends is unacceptable; I wish the iRB/WR (World Rugby) had the courage to copy FIFA and tell the SAf government to bugger off.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe the flipside of FIFA not allowing any government interference is that they don't want to provide the opportunity for infringement on their corruption? ;)

Happy

Dave Cowper (27)
This was at the bottom of a Canberra Times article confirming the signings of Cubelli and Andrew Smith:
There's been speculation both Japan and the Southern Kings wouldn't be part of the the 2016 Super Rugby season.
Both teams have been added to the competition along with a side from Argentina.
Their withdrawal would have seen next season's fixture list, which is nearing completion, thrown into disarray.
But Jones said both teams had been confirmed for next year. The current draft of the fixture will see the Brumbies host Japan.

T

TOCC

RWC 2015... Enough said

Get Japan in Super Rugby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk