• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jarryd Hayne signs with Fiji Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Jarryd Hayne has 'retired' from the NFL and signed with the Fiji Seven's team for the rest of the year including the Rio Olympics.

It's quite a big development given his profile in Australia and even the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I think he will be returning to the NRL in 2017, I don't see him sticking with rugby union post Rio. That and representing Fiji in Seven's rules him ineligible for the Wallabies doesn't it? The only way he could sign with an Australian Super Rugby team would be as a foreign marquee with no support from the ARU.

His fitness might be an issue, by all reports he has bulked up considerably.. He only has London to prove his value before the Rio Olympics.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think he will be returning to the NRL in 2017, I don't see him sticking with rugby union post Rio. That and representing Fiji in Seven's rules him ineligible for the Wallabies doesn't it? The only way he could sign with an Australian Super Rugby team would be as a foreign marquee with no support from the ARU.

His fitness might be an issue, by all reports he has bulked up considerably.. He only has London to prove his value before the Rio Olympics.

His aerobic fitness would be mediocre at the moment

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
replacement for Beale at the tahs?

I wonder if he has the fitness required for 7's anymore

He would be ineligible for Wallabies like Semi Radradra if he plays for Fiji 7s. I would not invest big money in a 28 years old player who can't play for Australia.

T

TOCC

Well if nothing else it gives an extra profile boost to Rugby 7's, if he attempts it and fails to make the squad it gives extra credibility to the quality of the players in Seven's, or if he actually makes the squad it should boost interest and media coverage in 7's Rugby during the Olympics.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well if nothing else it gives an extra profile boost to Rugby 7's, if he attempts it and fails to make the squad it gives extra credibility to the quality of the players in Seven's, or if he actually makes the squad it should boost interest and media coverage in 7's Rugby during the Olympics.

I would prefer that kind of media coverage for Super Rugby and Wallabies to attract new sponsors. After 7s he will play for Toulon, and if he become in one of the best Union players, Wallabies supporters must hate him

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be really surprised if he had a Fijian passport which he'd need to be able to go to the Olympics for them.

He was born in Sydney, I'm pretty sure his Mum is Aussie too. He lived in Sydney all his life. Why would he have a Fijian passport?

That's ignoring the face that he wants to play for the best 7s team in the world having never played the game before.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
This makes no sense at all, Fiji have the best 7's players in the world and the "reach out" with an offer to an NFL payer to come and play in Rio for them??? Hayne been playing for them already under another name or something?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
The Fijian team is awesome already, I don't understand where he'd play for them considering they made it to the olympics and are the number 1 team in the world. You see the Fijians play and its unbelievable, nothing like a rugby league or even Wallabies team plays.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'd be really surprised if he had a Fijian passport which he'd need to be able to go to the Olympics for them.

He was born in Sydney, I'm pretty sure his Mum is Aussie too. He lived in Sydney all his life. Why would he have a Fijian passport?

I was born in Sydney, but held a British passport for many years.

Like Hayne, I got my passport because of my father's nationality. Hayne's father is Fijian.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Definitely looks like a saving face move so that he doesn't have to officially be cut from the NFL.

But he was the best rugby league player in the world before he left. He's certainly got the skills for sevens. And he's got enough time to improve his fitness. I doubt he'll make the team but he has a chance. At the very least he'll increase the exposure of sevens in Australia which is a good thing. Would obviously be better if he was playing for us though. He'd probably make our team too. On the other hand if he does make the Fijian squad it'd means he'd have a much stronger chance of winning a gold medal.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder how upsetting it will be to the Fijians who have been playing together for some time. They look a tight unit, they are the odds on to get a medal and now one of them has to miss out for Hayne? Is he going to Rio or does he have the opportunity to try out....you know, like an All Black trialist?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Fijian team is awesome already, I don't understand where he'd play for them considering they made it to the olympics and are the number 1 team in the world. You see the Fijians play and its unbelievable, nothing like a rugby league or even Wallabies team plays.

Let's wait to see what happens. Ben Ryan will make the decision, he took over an under-performing squad (which was, I suspect, riven with tribal/political enmities), and has brought them back together as a world force.

From what little I have seen of Hayne, he does seem to have exceptional abilities. If he achieves the fitness levels, and subject to his acceptability amongst the playing group, he could add an X factor that brings the element of surprise. All these teams know each other pretty well, strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Nobody knows anything about Hayne in Sevens yet.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Does not make much sense but if anything its a good advertisement for the game.

It would be a better advertisement if he plays for Waratahs/Reds/Wallabies/Aussie 7s. He's the most famous Aussie athlete at the moment. He would attract sponsors to the game, he's more famous even than Izzy Folau and he would be a good Union player quickly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was born in Sydney, but held a British passport for many years.

Like Hayne, I got my passport because of my father's nationality. Hayne's father is Fijian.

Does Fiji have the same reciprocal rights that allow Australians to get British Passports?

The British passport is highly sought after because of the desire Aussies have to be able to live and work in the UK and Europe.

The Fijian passport doesn't quite have the same benefits which would make me wonder why someone would go to that effort to become a dual Australian/Fiji citizen.

He may well be but it would be surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.