• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jarryd Hayne signs with Fiji Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The SMH article today seems to suggest the ARU assistance would be in helping broker a deal with a Japanese club to play the offseason there.

Pulver seems pretty adamant that it has to be for a minimum of two years otherwise there is no value to Australian rugby.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm still not convinced of his 'pulling' power (attendances that is). Having had a look at historical eels attendances they were in a small and slow decline while he was there.

To extrapolate how his marketability will translate into a guaranteed sales and attraction of fans from other codes to make the great trek across the Sydney basin is a very long bow to draw.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Don't forget that he won't play TRC and the Europe's tour like Foley or Nick Cummins. And he hasn't played too much this year, just a few minutes for Fiji 7s, he's a fresh fish. In his situation a pre-season in Japan could be positive to make his first steps in the XV code

If he plays his first season of rugby (ever) in Japan and then rocks up to the Waratahs a week before the Super Rugby season starts you might as well write him off for at least half the season.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Definitely a pity that Haynes played that 6 minutes for fiji

But as I have said previously if aru / Waratahs can see some potential on marquee concept from bigger picture / marketing perspective that is worth the risk / trying as applying some out of the box thinking to help grow the game I am all for it.

As if you want to create big shifts sometimes you need to think outside the box in terms of innovative strategies to grow interest in the game. Some may work and some may not and those are the risks. But if rugby does not now and again take some risks and think outside the square it will continue to struggle as Australia's fourth and minor football code.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Definitely a pity that Haynes played that 6 minutes for fiji

But as I have said previously if aru / Waratahs can see some potential on marquee concept from bigger picture / marketing perspective that is worth the risk / trying as applying some out of the box thinking to help grow the game I am all for it.

As if you want to create big shifts sometimes you need to think outside the box in terms of innovative strategies to grow interest in the game. Some may work and some may not and those are the risks. But if rugby does not now and again take some risks and think outside the square it will continue to struggle as Australia's fourth and minor football code.
If they can put together a package which includes time in Japan, some third party deals and a waratahs contract that Hayne is interested in signing, then they'd be crazy not too.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
If Hayne is crazy enough to do that then I'm happy to have him.

Just don't want any ARU money involved and believe there will be negligible long term benefit to the game.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
"How can you keep 'em down on the farm, after they've seen Fiji?"

Hayne is obviously a restless soul. If he is just after an easy buck, France beckons.

However my guess is that he might be more interested in trying himself out in Soup. Hope so, anyway.

I would personally like to see Hayne play NRC and Super rugby and see how he goes, if a deal could be brokered. As would also be interested to see how much positive publicity it could generate for the game. For me depending on how the deal is structured it could well be a risk worth taking - even if ARU tipped some money in for his promotion value as a marquee / marketing tool. Got to be prepared to try different things and worse case to my mind is really not so bad (as got to be some marketing value here for rugby generally with media coverage will create and more question of how much). I would rather they try differ approaches (as only way will ever grow the game is being prepared to take some controlled and manageable risks) and take the risk some of these won't work...particulary where the risk is contained to set monetary amount e.g. contract deal negotiated for Hayne.

If he played NRC would be great way to 'perhaps' promote this fledgling competition and indeed get some bigger Tah crowds perhaps as we know Sydney rugby market been on the downer recently.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would personally like to see Hayne play NRC and Super rugby and see how he goes, if a deal could be brokered. As would also be interested to see how much positive publicity it could generate for the game. For me depending on how the deal is structured it could well be a risk worth taking - even if ARU tipped some money in for his promotion value as a marquee / marketing tool. Got to be prepared to try different things and worse case to my mind is really not so bad (as got to be some marketing value here for rugby generally with media coverage will create and more question of how much). I would rather they try differ approaches (as only way will ever grow the game is being prepared to take some controlled and manageable risks) and take the risk some of these won't work.particulary where the risk is contained to set monetary amount e.g. contract deal negotiated for Hayne.

If he played NRC would be great way to 'perhaps' promote this fledgling competition and indeed get some bigger Tah crowds perhaps as we know Sydney rugby market been on the downer recently.

Actually will qualify this - if third party payments, Tahs contract plus Japan contract would be enough to get Hayne then this would be best as appreciate ARU top up payments for marquee player may cause some controversy (but not immune to some controversy if marketing wise still makes sense and can be positioned this way).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm happy for the ARU to fork out some extra coin for the PR factor..... if he agrees to play for the Force.

Yes personally (but knowing may create some controversy) i would be more than happy for ARU to fork out some money for the PR factor as well as if ARU spent $x on marketing nobody would bat an eyelid and in reality that is what any top up payments would be for.. Realistically is Tahs or nothing as Hayne would want to remain in Sydney, and I would happily take him playing for the Tahs as having Folau and Hayne playing for the Tahs would love to see as a Tahs fan.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yes personally (but knowing may create some controversy) i would be more than happy for ARU to fork out some money for the PR factor as well as if ARU spent $x on marketing nobody would bat an eyelid and in reality that is what any top up payments would be for.. Realistically is Tahs or nothing as Hayne would want to remain in Sydney, and I would happily take him playing for the Tahs as having Folau and Hayne playing for the Tahs would love to see as a Tahs fan.
The 270 replies to this thread tells a story about his marketing potential for the code

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
So what happens when he kills it and then the international window rolls around and he disappears from public view because he's not Wallaby eligible.

I don't think he is worth the hassle. He's not another Folau opportunity (which I was supportive of, so this isn't just naysaying for the sake of it).

And to be honest, I wouldn't want him at the Force. If he does come to Aus rugby his only value is to excite leaguie interest, so thats the Tahs or nothing (and yes I get no one thought he was a genuine prospect to come to the Force and it was biting sarcasm on how shit it would be to play for the Force).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So what happens when he kills it and then the international window rolls around and he disappears from public view because he's not Wallaby eligible.

I don't think he is worth the hassle. He's not another Folau opportunity (which I was supportive of, so this isn't just naysaying for the sake of it).

And to be honest, I wouldn't want him at the Force. If he does come to Aus rugby his only value is to excite leaguie interest, so thats the Tahs or nothing (and yes I get no one thought he was a genuine prospect to come to the Force and it was biting sarcasm on how shit it would be to play for the Force).

Yes agree - is very much about League interest first and then wider interest in the athlete from NFL exploits etc - hence Tahs or nothing. He would actually probably not disappear from the window during international window as he would play for fiji during that window. Which would be great for the game - some flow on benefits but not discounting much less than being able to play for the Wallabies. All of which would need to be factored in with what sort of contract would be put together with payments for him.

I get the conjecture on his value by not being wallaby eligible but that is part of broader problem also seeking to solve which is not be so dependent for Australian rugby for its fortunes on the Wollobies.

I also think the financial risks around this versus other means to market the game are at least not too arduous.

Anyhow I actually believe low probability may happen and don't discount Hayne and his manager meeting ARU could be usual tactic of helping his nrl negotiations.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Next year is a Lions tour of NZ so who is touring Aus? With Hayne you could have a Barbarian tour like the one game they set up when SBW first converted.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Flying Fijians coach John McKee says Hayne is very much on the radar for the 2019 RWC

“I spoke with Jarryd last month and he is very interested in our Test match programme towards 2019,” McKee said.

“I told him that if he is playing rugby union I will definitely consider him for selection for the Flying Fijians.

“As always Flying Fijian selection depends on form and we will always endeavour to select the best team possible to represent Fiji.”

Vodafone Fijian 7s coach Ben Ryan highly recommends Hayne for 15s. "He will be good rugby player either at centre or fullback,” Ryan said.

http://fijisun.com.fj/2016/07/24/for-hayne-fiji-is-the-way-to-go/

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Next year is a Lions tour of NZ so who is touring Aus? With Hayne you could have a Barbarian tour like the one game they set up when SBW first converted.

Fiji are touring here apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Future Tours Schedule says Italy & Scotland (minus any Lions) but I recall there being talk of an eight-team KO tournament with the PI, USA, Japan & Canada involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.