• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jarryd Hayne signs with Fiji Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
I wonder if those stories of Hayne not being a team player when he was at Parra were a factor in the Tahs saying no thanks. I heard that was one reasons the Roosters pulled out talking to him.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I respectfully disagree with that. Throwing a bunch of money at a bloke who appears to only have a passing interest in rugby seems like money poorly spent IMHO. It's a short term sugar hit with little long term benefit.

BH said it better than I have time to do, so refer ^^^^
My message was not about the decision but general messaging - some of who on here have picked up where the focus of my message was - some have not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I wonder if those stories of Hayne not being a team player when he was at Parra were a factor in the Tahs saying no thanks. I heard that was one reasons the Roosters pulled out talking to him.

My company ran a training week for Parramatta a number of years ago, so I will preface this by stating that he could have changed for the better over the years.. During the week you had players who trained hard and helped out others, and then you had the obviously talented players who were quite lazy.. Hayne fitted into the later category, and in a exercise at the end of the week asking the players who were the best team mates and who were yhe worst, Jarryd's name popped up more then once for being a crap team mate.

In endurance testing activities he would just give up, in activities where we were pressuring the players with limited timeframes he just refused to play the game, and would just take his time refusing to abide to the timings..

There were some real hard working players in that team, but Hayne wasn't one of them. Conversely when we ran the same testing for the Rabbitohs in their premiership year, the leaders in the team like Michael Croker lead from the front, even the Burgess brothers worked bloody hard..

Jarryd Hayne is an obviously talented player, but I don't think he is a leader nor do I think he would be a positive influence on a younger playing group.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ mate of a guy I work with has a boy in the Parra U20's & tells a very similar story with a side of "nice guy when it's all going his way but a right cock head when it's not". As someone commented earlier in the thread, he's a perfect fit for Top 14.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
TOCC what you've said above doesn't surprise me in the slightest. We don't need that kind of attitude in rugby.

While I agree that we do not need Hayne, as a general principle we will have players with all kinds of attitudes in rugby.

Hayne is the product of a struggling single parent family, like a lot of kids these days. Some of the kids from these sorts of backgrounds do have attitude problems, and we should not turn our backs on them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hayne is the product of a struggling single parent family, like a lot of kids these days. Some of the kids from these sorts of backgrounds do have attitude problems, and we should not turn our backs on them.

Surely you could substitute any upbringing into that sentence and still end up with the same conclusion.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Less than two weeks ago he was 'keen' to play Union wth the Tahs and now he's signed with the Titans. Deals that big don't happen overnight. Surely his manager wasn't using Union to push up his price? Surely.

Surely the Tahs board didn't know and pull out of a deal they never intended on making for good PR?

Good deal. Everyone wins, well except the Eels and no one cares about them anyway.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surely the Tahs board didn't know and pull out of a deal they never intended on making for good PR?

There was an interview with John O'Neil where he said that when they got out of the ARU meeting there were journos outside. Which means someone tipped them off. So, yeah.

Personally, I'm very interested in the fact this is a 2-year deal. Will Hayne follow dream #3 to play for Fiji in the rugby world cup?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is like one of those terrible movies where there is a long, contrived and not very believable story that the screenwriter can't justify so they make it so it was just a dream and the character wakes up.

Apparently Hayne's actual dream was to just play for whichever NRL team offered him the most money.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
13686514_262367457482916_619978189173329848_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.