• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

JOC (James O'Connor)'s lack of potential opportunities are purely his own doing though. As you said, he walks a tightrope and polarises opinions.

You may find this hard to believe, but some people actually consider me to be a bit of a straight shooter. Shocking, I know! But I still know where by bread is buttered and know when to shut up.

JOC (James O'Connor) shouldn't receive acceptance and understanding over chasing the coin due to it resulting from his own doing.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
TWAS there may be something to this. i analysed the Rebels results when he or KB (Kurtley Beale) or both were playing. the Rebels won more games and scored more points without them, than with them, either individually or especially together.
the very last game they both played at AAMI park was the exception rather than the rule.
There is something in that.

When JOC (James O'Connor) was at the force he played in 38 matches and was involved in 11 wins.

In the same time the force played in 48 games and won a total of 17 games.

So if you look at the games he didn't play in which is a total of 10 games the force won 6 of those matches a much higher win rate without him on the field.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can it potentially work in both directions though?

Key player is missing so other players subconsciously put in a bigger effort. Likewise, when the star player is playing, the rest of the team relies on them more.

T

Train Without a Station

Definitely.

Also some players can stifle the team having a negative impact on the performance of others, which is what I was getting at.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Unlike 'any' employee, professionals playing a contact sport have a very limited timeframe in which to maximise their income.
No of us can walk a mile in JOC (James O'Connor)'s or any other's shoes in this situation.
On one hand we seem to accept Douglas leaving the Wallabies to make an extra buck but at the same time expect JOC (James O'Connor) to stay here in the naughty corner for a year earning less $$$ to see if we want him again.
Like him or not he's never been one to wait for things to happen on or off the field and part of me admires that about him.
I don't condone his behaviour at times but the majority of rugby fans wanted to hang Cooper and Beale at times and look at things now.

Let him ask for what he wants and then it's simple.
The ARU and/or QRU agree or they don't, and life will move on for everyone.
At his best however, he is one of the best players in the world.

That is an overly simplistic view IIWII and I along with many others tend to think that JOC (James O'Connor) is the exception and not the rule. I don't think your comparisons to Cooper or Beale are apt and your reference to Douglas heading overseas to earn more is irrelevant for mine as it's not comparing apples with apples.

Most of us want JOC (James O'Connor) to stay in the naughty corner not for wanting to earn more but simply for the attitude he has quite publicly displayed whilst trying to earn more. He's basically told Aus Rugby to go fuck itself more than once and I love Australian Rugby too much to just forget that.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The ticker tape feed on the morning news show today said "the Reds refuse to confirm if James O'Connor has been signed" or words to that effect.

Are they hanging out for a big double announcement - Bieber and Khunt?

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
looking forward to seeing our boy in action tonight

qi9Oj0c.jpg

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
Stew Barnes (I think) reminds us that JOC (James O'Connor) was instrumental for the Lions in their win last year against us at flyhalf

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
First touch he knocked on and the other ones were kicks from inside his 22.

Giteau is still the best 10 in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.