• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Semantics really. I don't think any one has actually said that they were ineligible. Wilson actually just said (on Douglas) that Link didn't pick him.
Yeah I didn't mean to say that they couldn't pick them just that the policy as it stands is not to pick anyone who is announced as leaving, unless there are significant injuries. For JOC (James O'Connor) to be considered means either the policy is changing, or he isn't actually guaranteed to go straight back to Toulon.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Personally, I do not give a rats what JOC (James O'Connor) does after the RWC. If he earns a place in the squad on the back of the next Soup season, and gets picked, and plays as well as most of us believe that he can, I will be happy.

We need to put the best possible available squad together, next season. After that, there will be lots of changes. So what? That's what happens in sport, especially a sport where the domestic competitions are not as lucrative as those in other countries, and where the local talent can earn more going, than staying.

The Socceroors have to put up with it, so do the Boomers. Why can't we?

T

Train Without a Station

Fuck do we seriously need to get into this discussion again?

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
FoxSports are still blowing a load over JOC (James O'Connor)'s try for Toulon.

Could they push that trolley any harder? I don't trust the little prick

it wasn't that impressive i thought, straight forward finish for a winger or am i missing something?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
He was involved in the lead up as well

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I wish we had the wingers not to have to give the twerp the time of day. We do not. I'd still rather have Giteau flying sideways from Toulon than JOC (James O'Connor). Better a kicker than a dropkick.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
JOC (James O'Connor)'s directness and intensity, some might even call it "bravery", when he plays should go a long ways to igniting the Reds back line next season.

He's very similar to Beale in that he displays the intangible traits you want to see out of a 10 (with JOC (James O'Connor) playing flatter/straighter and a far better tackler) but just doesn't currently have the tactical or strategical skill set to drive a side around the park for 80 minutes.

But with the way both of them are able to take complete control of the pitch during single phases it's not surprising they've both gotten looks in at 10 repeatedly during their careers.

T

TOCC

Australia's lack of depth and experience in key positions of the back line has often lead to the most naturally talented players been pushed into positions they probably aren't best suited for but represent the best option at the time. Case and point is JOC (James O'Connor) and his tenor at the Force and Rebels, he might have been the best player in that team suited to play 5/8 but it wasn't necessarily his best position to play.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Beiber and Beale are the same: they have incredible skills, but are not suited to 10.

Counter-attacking against broken field defences is their element, so give it to them. Wing and Fullback, respectively. I mean, god forbid we have a little depth at fullback, why is Beale being thrust into the squad in a position he doesn't belong?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He really should have been played at 12 and left there. Could have been the next Tim Horan with the added bonus of a decent kicking game.

Hope he comes back in the right frame of mind. If so he can add a lot to the Wallaby RWC assault.

T

TOCC

This is good. Explains the double contract business and Mitchell and Giteau are tough critics.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...ew-mitchell-says/story-fndptke0-1227049254022

I remember the interview with Mitchell and Giteau just following the announcement of JOC (James O'Connor) signing with Toulon, Drew displayed some vastly exaggerated body language when JOC (James O'Connor)'s name was mentioned which indicated he wasn't fond of JOC (James O'Connor) at all.

Here's hoping he has turned it around, both Drew and Giteau were in similar shoes of been young prodigal players at the same age, they should have a lot they could pass on to a willing protege.

T

Train Without a Station

He really should have been played at 12 and left there. Could have been the next Tim Horan with the added bonus of a decent kicking game.

Hope he comes back in the right frame of mind. If so he can add a lot to the Wallaby RWC assault.

Nah. Was rightly moved from 12 after being shown up by Pat McCabe and Tom Carter 2 weeks in a row in Super Rugby. Last thing we need is to see how he goes against Nonu, De Villiers and Davies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I suspected there might be a get out clause in the Reds' contract, and that appears to be the case according to the News story. And that would align with the claim earlier on that O'Connor indicated to the press in France that he was coming back for only 6 months by raising 6 fingers in answer to a question. Seems it's still all about James.

If he stays for two years with the Reds I will wish him all the best, and if that's good enough then selection with the Wallabies will come. But if he pisses off again because he doesn't get into the squad for the RWC then I'll have no sympathy for the Reds and their burnt fingers.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep as a reds fan I will be annoyed if they have knowingly signed him with a get out clause after 6 months. I don't see that benefits us at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yep as a reds fan I will be annoyed if they have knowingly signed him with a get out clause after 6 months. I don't see that benefits us at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The benefit is that you get a very good, versatile, internationally recognised backline player for a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.