• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

The benefit is that you get a very good, versatile, internationally recognised backline player for a season.

irrelevant if its only for a season, the club would come off looking like an airport lounge for players wanting a quick tilt at the RWC..

In saying that, i doubt the QRU have signed him with a release clause, they understand the negative publicity they would receive if he were only here on short term.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
He's very similar to Beale in that he displays the intangible traits you want to see out of a 10 (with JOC (James O'Connor) playing flatter/straighter and a far better tackler) but just doesn't currently have the tactical or strategical skill set to drive a side around the park for 80 minutes.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he hadn't missed almost the entire 2012 season with injury. He had two very good games against the BaaBaas and Wales after Cooper did his knee and there was plenty of chat about whether he should be the flyhalf going forward. Then he he had the injury troubles, had a few games playing 10 for a dreadful Rebels team in 2013 (where he was admittedly shit) and was thrown to, well, the Lions.

Still, I think the moments passed now. Shame he was never allowed to just stick to 12 - he'd have ended up like a much better Godwin. Unfortunately given the way he's been mucked around, I think he'll have to play on the wing or end up bench cover.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he hadn't missed almost the entire 2012 season with injury. He had two very good games against the BaaBaas and Wales after Cooper did his knee and there was plenty of chat about whether he should be the flyhalf going forward. Then he he had the injury troubles, had a few games playing 10 for a dreadful Rebels team in 2013 (where he was admittedly shit) and was thrown to, well, the Lions.

Still, I think the moments passed now. Shame he was never allowed to just stick to 12 - he'd have ended up like a much better Godwin. Unfortunately given the way he's been mucked around, I think he'll have to play on the wing or end up bench cover.

Yeah I agree he had some very good games against the BaaBaas and Wales but gee he was just awful for the Rebs leading up to the Lions and even more so for the Wallabies until the final test, and even then it wasn't what you want from an international 10 at all.

The big irony for me with James at 12 is that earlier on in his career he really was a bit too small to defend there and got worked over several times in Super Rugby. Now he's probably big enough to make it work well but he's spent so much time on the wing he looks fairly lost when he plays in the midfield.

I still think wing is his best position though. He's got world-class footwork and serious pace and just looks very, very comfortable finishing moves on the end of the line.

I just never understand the concept that a coach could take a player who hasn't played 10 in literal years and just convert them to it in the space of a few weeks. It takes an entirely different type of thinking to play 10 than it does any other position down the back line and you can't just unwire and rewire a guy in 20-odd days. Doubly so when they are going to be expected to perform at the absolute highest level against teams who form the pinnacle of excellence in their sport.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Yes he did. What a pillock.

Well to be fair, James and many Queenslanders his age grew up with the Reds playing in Maroon. It wasn't until 2010/11 that we went to a brighter red jersey.

A bit like some people don't refer to Lang Park as Suncorp Stadium ;)

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
This should be his best game at Toulon. Nice seeing James, Droog (Mitchell) and Gits in the starting lineup

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
This bloke...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-28-12-35-55.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-28-12-35-55.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 479

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Contrary to Tin Foil Hat Conspiracy Theorists belief that he will be on the first plane off to Toulon if he doesn't make the Men in Gold for RWC 2015, he has been listed in the Brisbane City NRC squad.

Perhaps this is also a good sign that he will be turning out for the Reds in 2016.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Contrary to Tin Foil Hat Conspiracy Theorists belief that he will be on the first plane off to Toulon if he doesn't make the Men in Gold for RWC 2015, he has been listed in the Brisbane City NRC squad.

Perhaps this is also a good sign that he will be turning out for the Reds in 2016.

Or, its just a way to keep fit and kill time in case he get the miracle call up to cover an injury until he has to catch his post WC flight booking. That way when he touches down in sunny Toulon he will be fit, injury free and have some form to help him settle back in.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Well Brisbane City played Perth Spirit tonight and JOC (James O'Connor) was nowhere to be seen.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
O'Connor won't be far outside the WC squad and he will know that. He will be looking to find some confidence and form in the NRC and will want as much game time as he can get.

He's been playing for Brothers in the Prem Grade since the Reds season finished and played in the World XV.

He's doing what he can and good on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.