• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

J'OC won't be playing 12 for the Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This is a bit disappointing - though I think he can still do a lot of things that a lot of wingers can't, especially in the roving role. I'm sure we'll still see him in the midfield for set-plays, but it looks like it's Barnes or Giteau for 12 this year:

The Wallabies coach revealed his valuable utility back James O'Connor would have to wait a little longer to move into a midfield role.

O'Connor has excelled at five-eighth and inside centre for Western Force, after establishing himself on the wing for Australia.

"He is going to fill out a lot more, his key position passion is midfield," Deans said of O'Connor.

"I don't think he's ready physically yet to front up for 80 minutes routinely in that position, but he's a good bloke to have on your side, he can make things happen."

"Every game he plays he makes a big difference to. The greatest evidence of it is he took up goalkicking less than 12 months ago and he's damned near mastered it."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/super-rugby/all-blacks-coach-graham-henry-expresses-concern-about-length-of-super-rugby-season-ahead-of-world-cup/story-e6frf4qu-1226064422495

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Deans is a weirdo. He's just living in a different world. "Asinine" has already been used once on the forum today, but that would seem to fit.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm not a Deans supporter or detractor (I like to determine my position case by case), but he's definitely got it wrong on this one. How big does he expect J'OC to get? He tore it up in the midfield against SA/Kiwi opposition while Barnes and Giteau were applauded for keeping their heads above water. I just hate the idea that his move to 12 has been written off for such a reason.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm not a big JOC (James O'Connor) fan or anything but I'd take him over Lachie Turner every day of the week.

He can finish and score tries even when he still has a bit of work to do to make it happen. Turner on the other hand......

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If Turner was going to be his wing replacement then I agree. But then again I'd take Morahan, Davies, McCabe, Sherpherd and even Cummins (if he got a haircut) over Turner.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Noooooooo

Why would he do this without trying JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. Him and Quade could be potentially lethal plus Barnes has been un-well and Gits has been alright but not as good as JOC (James O'Connor).

Deans' stupidest media comment yet without doubt

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Deans said his Wallabies were a group that were clearly "on the ascendancy".

Ascendancy? On what basis? Thirty minutes of French capitulation? The game before that we beat Italy. And immediately before that we got flogged by England.

"He is going to fill out a lot more, his key position passion is midfield," Deans said of O'Connor.

"I don't think he's ready physically yet to front up for 80 minutes routinely in that position, but he's a good bloke to have on your side, he can make things happen."

"Going to fill out a lot more", "not ready physically yet" to play 80 minutes at 12. That's really reassuring, considering the fact that he's been a starting Test player for two years now and the number of other options the million-dollar-coach has in that position. Still, "he's a good bloke to have on your side". The technical name for that is "damning with faint praise".

"Every game he plays he makes a big difference to. The greatest evidence of it is he took up goalkicking less than 12 months ago and he's damned near mastered it."

The "greatest evidence" that "every game he plays he makes a big difference to" "is he took up goalkicking less than 12 months ago and he's damned near mastered it." The Brock's pronouncements in the 'Seventies made more sense than that.

It's easy to see why we don't need to wait until after the result of the World Cup to decide whether to sign the Robbster up for another term. He's so clearly in a league of his own.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
JOC (James O'Connor) has been kicking for years, he even goal kicked in his first start for AUS v Barbarians at wembley in 2008.

"He's a good bloke to have in your side" - isn't that the sort of thing school coaches say to the kids who turn up to training and only get in to the team when someone oversleeps on match day.

Also the kid is apparently 87kgs, so lets say he is 85 reastically for that sort of centre you wouldn't expect him to fill out much more

T

Tank

Surely he already weighs more than Giteau and for that metter Barnes?

And it is not like he is weak.

He really is not a small bloke...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That is a worrying statement from Deans, especially in light of the possibility that Barnes may not play out of the season. JOC (James O'Connor) has been far from disgraced in dealing with the traffic coming through his defensive channel and on attack we all know he's dynamite. He has to be on the field somewhere, I think there's general agreement on that now, as his attacking value is enormous. He's also the country's most reliable goalkicker, which will be important this year.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If JOC (James O'Connor) "Fills Out" how much agility would he lose. I also think JOC (James O'Connor) isn't that small, how much smaller weight wise, is he to Oz's best ever 12 Horan? I don't care that he isn't a behemoth (in centre terms) like SBW or Nonu or JDV. It is technique and skill set that matter.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
That is a worrying statement from Deans, especially in light of the possibility that Barnes may not play out of the season. JOC (James O'Connor) has been far from disgraced in dealing with the traffic coming through his defensive channel and on attack we all know he's dynamite. He has to be on the field somewhere, I think there's general agreement on that now, as his attacking value is enormous. He's also the country's most reliable goalkicker, which will be important this year.

Sadly for BB, your call above TBH is looking ever more prescient:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...with-footballers-migraine-20110527-1f8cc.html

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i think it a good call, he said for 80 minutes not never. with quades defence having another small player next to him for the first 20/30 of a match against a decent team is going to see alot of traffic running at them and he would be much against tired forwards towards the back end of a half than worrying about the opening exchanges.

i really dont see a cooper JOC (James O'Connor) centre combo working anyway, not for the wobs, not for qld. quades biggest assets are the width he brings to a game, i dont think having a player who is creative and relys on stepping next to him ads anything, its better for that player to join the line from the back at 15 or as a roving winger and i get what deans is trying to do there. having a barge centre like mortlock in 12 would be much better, both, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale can join the line when we need them, its decent system.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
That really is a stupid comment by Deans. I'm pretty sure Gits is smaller then JOC (James O'Connor) and Barnes is a bit taller but he's a twig compared to other players. Deans should have said something more sensible like "he lacks test experience at 12, so playing him for 80mins there is unlikely". But to say he wants him to fill out more is pretty ridiculous, if he fills out too much he is going to lose his best asset, his agility, footwork and speed. Stupid, stupid Deans.

This is also very worrying if Mitchell is fit. Does that mean we wont be seeing Digby, Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor) on the field at once? This is disappointing as these players are all highly in form and deserve to be on the field.

H

high tower

Your right Bruce, he tended to play Giteau, Barnes, and Finger there, all front on tacklers of note. My memories of JOC (James O'Connor) @ fullback were like nightmares, he was monstered under the high ball, and while this wouldn't be an issue at 12 it doesnt bode well. It seems clear that if you pick Cooper @ 10 then you must have a rugged proven 12, not a guy whose strength is his light stepping. If JOC (James O'Connor) was the man to do the tackling in the 10/12 channel what would he have left to give in attack.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
It's interesting then, WJ, that Deans has never shown the slightest interest in or intent of using that type of inside centre.

two different thoughts bruce, bonded by my special bread of punctuation, i believe having a barge centre next to cooper would be better with coopers playing style, i get that deans is using playmakers in other positions, beale and JOC (James O'Connor) so they can inject themselves intot he line rather than be cut out by coopers pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.