• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jock Hobbs' battle is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was real sad to hear that Jock Hobbs' battle with cancer is over and he passed away today. Hobbs was a rugby man who was a bloody good player (AB captain) and then went on to become one of NZ's best administrators. I enjoyed watching him play, No 7 for those who didn't know, until head injuries curtailed his career in early to mid 80s. I actually thought his biggest feat was his battle to prevent players going to the rebel series that was forming in 90s, when he travelled around NZ approaching players 2-3 at time and got them all to eventually sign for NZRU. Although it wasn't popular in Aus, I also thought his work in getting NZ last years world cup was another thing he deserves huge credit for.
One of the enduring images for me during WC was seeing Jock, obviously very very ill on field presenting Richie McCaw with his cap for 100 tests, and also to see him standing, again looking pretty weak at final presentation.
The rugby world is a lot poorer for the loss of this man.

L

Linebacker_41

Jock Hobbs was a fierce competitor on and off the field. I was fortunate to meet him through my parents and in person he was a very classy gentleman.

Sad day for our great code.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Great to see the respect flowing around the SANZAR nations for Jock Hobbs with all games displaying a minute silence and all the good rugby people on the field and in the stands observing it.

SA had Dr Craven
Australia had Bob Templeton
NZ had Jock Hobbs

I think this is the only way to put a scale on Jock Hobbs's contribution to rugby.

At very least he has contributed so much to the game they play in heaven, so in heaven his passion and his efforts will remain.

RIP and condolances to the New Zealanders out there as I sense you have lost a national treasure.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ta Ruggo, I am a bit like MR, I was really gutted when I heard news. We all knew it coming, but as a NZ rugby nutter, I have so much respect for the amount of work he has done. I get the impression from home that it has most people a little sad.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
No worries Dan.

I lost my old man to the same disease and knowing it was comming doesn't numb the feeling when it happens. It sucks to see proud men fade away from illness like this.

Watching some very close and exciting games this weekend and you think this great comp may never of eventuated if it wasn't for his efforts during the end of the amature era.

As Lee Grant simply put, god bless Jock Hobbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.