• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2013 is nearly upon us and I feel that Australia's premier rugby comp requires a new thread.........

Brumbies' allocations for 2013:

Uni-Norths
Forwards: Ben Alexander
Backs: Tom Cox, Ian Prior, Joe Tomane

Wests
Forwards: Fotu Auelua, Scott Fardy, Peter Kimlin
Backs: Pat McCabe, Jesse Mogg

Royals
Forwards: Sam Carter, Siliva Siliva
Backs: Matt To'omua, Mark Swanapoel

Queanbeyan
Forwards: Leon Power
Backs: Robbie Coleman, Tevita Kuridrani, Nic White

Easts
Forwards: Stephen Moore, Etienne Oosthuizen, David Pocock, Jordan Smiler, Ruan Smith
Backs: Andrew Smith, Stephan Van Der Walt, Clyde Rathbone

Vikings
Forwards : Colby Fainga'a, Ben Mowen, Scott Sio
Backs: Zack Holmes. Christian Lealiifano

Gungahlin
Forwards: Dan Palmer, Ita Vaea, Rory Murphy, Josh Mann-Rea
Backs: Henry Speight

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Does anybody know if Royals have managed to recruit any names from either the schools or anywhere else? Also, is Tom Cusack back in 2013 for the them?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Tom Cusack has been training with the national 7's and will either be part of them or the academy program.

Will check it out.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
What about the Wider Training Group and in particular
Staniforth and Robinson. Is there a McIntyre as well?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Robinson would logically stick with Tuggeranong, and should being one who has been brought through and supported as a junior in the Tuggeranong Valley.

Staniforth is less certain - but one hopes he'll follow most Grammar guys to Easts. The onus on Easts is to put forward a solid plan for his development, utilising the increased numbers of Brumbies that will be around the club.

Speaking of Easts, they had around 40 guys down at preseason training in November/December - a very good sign given the club struggled to get this at the end of the last season.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
What about the Wider Training Group and in particular
Staniforth and Robinson. Is there a McIntyre as well?

McIntyre did a couple of weeks pre season with brumbies, but is doing the ARU Academy out of Brisbane and playing his club footy for Sunnybank.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Any news on clubs and their pre season campaigns? Which clubs are playing who in trials? Recruits etc?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Could numbers be increased at Easts due to players knowing they could have a better chance to play 1st grade next to other clubs? I think most clubs start full pre-season training on the 29th of Jan.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Could numbers be increased at Easts due to players knowing they could have a better chance to play 1st grade next to other clubs? I think most clubs start full pre-season training on the 29th of Jan.

Some will (and have) come across looking for opportunities under a new coach. Easts resume on the 29th of Jan.

The increased numbers of Brumbies contracted players joining the club will also have a positive effect on numbers, quality and competition.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Some will (and have) come across looking for opportunities under a new coach. Easts resume on the 29th of Jan.

The increased numbers of Brumbies contracted players joining the club will also have a positive effect on numbers, quality and competition.

In someways it could be a negative thing for the club - i.e players thinking they wont be able to make 1sts now due to the huge increase in Brumbies players....honestly though how much will these Brumbies players really play?

Wonder if Vikings have imported any new talent...

Bugeye

Allen Oxlade (6)
In someways it could be a negative thing for the club - i.e players thinking they wont be able to make 1sts now due to the huge increase in Brumbies players..honestly though how much will these Brumbies players really play?

Wonder if Vikings have imported any new talent.

In someways it could be a negative thing for the club - i.e players thinking they wont be able to make 1sts now due to the huge increase in Brumbies players..honestly though how much will these Brumbies players really play?

Wonder if Vikings have imported any new talent.
I hear Vikings have already started training with big numbers and so far have no new faces they have lost a 5 players from last years first grade side and Ryan Bowden to Easts chasing a first grade spot. What my mate did say was they have the colts coach Brad coaching first grade and he wants to bring up the local juniors through the grades, which I think is great for the juniors.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I hear Vikings have already started training with big numbers and so far have no new faces they have lost a 5 players from last years first grade side and Ryan Bowden to Easts chasing a first grade spot. What my mate did say was they have the colts coach Brad coaching first grade and he wants to bring up the local juniors through the grades, which I think is great for the juniors.

Is that in regards to Vikings for the local juniors?? Would be fantastic to see Vikings put abit more into the junior side of development and see some of these junior players come through the junior ranks into 1st grade - instead of having the % of players being Marist, Eddies players...

Think about the players they could develop if they had control of them from the ages of 13-14....with their money they could set up a nice little development pathway...

I guess it has changed over the last 5-6 years - seeing most eddies players now going the qbn and marist going the Royals - making Vikings look more overseas (NZ) and interstate...

Anyone know why Eddies started to go through Qbn more-so, I know it was around the Saia/Anthony Fainga'a/Daniel Penca (current qbn captain) time after they left school/eddies 1st XV that qbn saw a huge increase in eddies players...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Anyone know why Eddies started to go through Qbn more-so, I know it was around the Saia/Anthony Fainga'a/Daniel Penca (current qbn captain) time after they left school/eddies 1st XV that qbn saw a huge increase in eddies players.

2620 4 life?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
From what I understand, Queanbeyan were struggling a bit, and were allowed to have their coaches/players into St. Edmunds, which was naturally affiliated with Easts (given close proximity of the two).

A reasonable proportion of St Edmunds students (20-30%?) come from Queanbeyan, so it's worked out well for the Whites, however it's a pity to see so many u20's playing in 3rds and 4ths when the overall colts competition struggles for numbers.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
From what I understand, Queanbeyan were struggling a bit, and were allowed to have their coaches/players into St. Edmunds, which was naturally affiliated with Easts (given close proximity of the two).

A reasonable proportion of St Edmunds students (20-30%?) come from Queanbeyan, so it's worked out well for the Whites, however it's a pity to see so many u20's playing in 3rds and 4ths when the overall colts competition struggles for numbers.

Ok fair enough - I know there was a number of 1st XV players in 2005-2007 that turned down Vikings etc to play for the Whites - I am guessing in was a combo of the coaches going into the school and also alot of these guys wanting to rep qbn considering thats where they come from.

In 2006/2007 qbn must of seen nearly the whole 1st XV from Eddies come and play - and thats when they really started to become good again...

Considering we have seen a big drop in the quality of rugby at Eddies over the last few years will we see a drop in the performance of qbn in the coming years...

Bugeye

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ok fair enough - I know there was a number of 1st XV players in 2005-2007 that turned down Vikings etc to play for the Whites - I am guessing in was a combo of the coaches going into the school and also alot of these guys wanting to rep qbn considering thats where they come from.

In 2006/2007 qbn must of seen nearly the whole 1st XV from Eddies come and play - and thats when they really started to become good again.

Considering we have seen a big drop in the quality of rugby at Eddies over the last few years will we see a drop in the performance of qbn in the coming years.
Also it could mean too many kids in 3rd and 4th grade that cant make colts or higher will move to ther clubs but Qbn has club atmosphere so it probably wont happen

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
See what happens this year - I think Vikings will be very strong again, Easts could get off the bottom of the ladder and I think qbn could be in better form this year...

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Aus Schools second rower Tom Staniforth from all reports has joined Royals.

Status
Not open for further replies.