• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I posted this is another thread but it's probably just as relevant here.........

In a move set to upset our friends across the border the Brumbies plan on raiding young talent stocks from insterstate to bolster the local competition and keep the kids from turning to the dark side:

THE ACT has long been considered Australian rugby's little brother, but now the Brumbies plan to raid the rugby nurseries of NSW and Queensland to ''discover some diamonds''.
ACT Rugby hopes the chance to train and play under the noses of Brumbies coaches will lure untapped talent to the capital.
ACT Rugby will host an under-20s trial on November 2, targeting the best junior players from Canberra and interstate and trying to bring them under the umbrella of the Brumbies.
.........​
They also want to keep rising stars away from the clutches of the NRL.
''Some of the guys are looking at league and NRL contracts, we're just giving them a rugby opportunity,'' Brumbies coaching and development manager Russell Ingram said.
''This opens up a new pathway. There's a void there for rugby kids. I reckon we can expose a couple of diamonds out of it.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Absolutely brilliant. As the ref says, "use it or lose it" NSW in particular has taken rugby players for granted for years. It's unfortunate that Sydney would lose so many players but at least somebody is interested in creating a pathway for young players.

Toby Spencer

Stan Wickham (3)
Any news on teams loses / gains? were there any decent players who finished school last year who will be playing in the JID Cup this year?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Any news on teams loses / gains? were there any decent players who finished school last year who will be playing in the JID Cup this year?

Jason Tomane, Wez Rogoyawa, Chris Uzabeaga and Jeremy Mututu (St Edmunds College) all coming to Easts.

Hopefully this will lead to a lot of the ACT based St Edmunds lads coming across to Easts, rather than all going to Queanbeyan with many playing social (3rds/4ths) grades.

Great reflection of the work Jeremy Osborne and Neil Bijorac, along with the board and many volunteers have put into the club over the past 12 months.

Toby Spencer

Stan Wickham (3)
Will Easts still get the benefit of additional Brumbies players to strengthen their first grade team this year or will the brumbies be split 5 players per club?

Guess the bigger question is will the new coach make it compulsory to play in the local competition?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I posted this is another thread but it's probably just as relevant here...

In a move set to upset our friends across the border the Brumbies plan on raiding young talent stocks from insterstate to bolster the local competition and keep the kids from turning to the dark side:

The key to the success of this program will be Larkham/Gregan/Fisher supporting the JID and for the Brumbies to continue with Jake White's vision for the ACT Competition.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Vikings will lose up to 8 First graders from last year including Colby and Zach Holmes obviously. Fair number of blokes retiring while others moving on. Should see some of their players that have come through the Colts program step up to first grade in 2014. Will be a very young side and hard to see them being as dominate as they have previous years.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Jason Tomane, Wez Rogoyawa, Chris Uzabeaga and Jeremy Mututu (St Edmunds College) all coming to Easts.

Hopefully this will lead to a lot of the ACT based St Edmunds lads coming across to Easts, rather than all going to Queanbeyan with many playing social (3rds/4ths) grades.

Great reflection of the work Jeremy Osborne and Neil Bijorac, along with the board and many volunteers have put into the club over the past 12 months.
Is it true that they are offering cash sign on incentives to play at Easts? Should this be happening considering the financial situation Easts are in, having to borrow money from the Brumbies to stay afloat? Says a lot that they have to offer cash to get kids to go to their club, setting a dangerous precedent.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Will Easts still get the benefit of additional Brumbies players to strengthen their first grade team this year or will the brumbies be split 5 players per club?

Guess the bigger question is will the new coach make it compulsory to play in the local competition?

They shouldn't but I understand they will keep all of the players that they has this year provided that those players are again required to play locally.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Vikings will lose up to 8 First graders from last year including Colby and Zach Holmes obviously. Fair number of blokes retiring while others moving on. Should see some of their players that have come through the Colts program step up to first grade in 2014. Will be a very young side and hard to see them being as dominate as they have previous years.
That would be a first for Tuggeranong to promote their own colts players, I hope they do though, they had a top colts team this year and a lot of those players deserve a crack in the top grade!

Wendell

Stan Wickham (3)
That would be a first for Tuggeranong to promote their own colts players, I hope they do though, they had a top colts team this year and a lot of those players deserve a crack in the top grade!
Here we go the Qbyn whinge has started early.......Qbyn don't recruit players - that group of SA players are born and bred Qbyn boys with funny accents.......give us all a break.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Here we go the Qbyn whinge has started early...Qbyn don't recruit players - that group of SA players are born and bred Qbyn boys with funny accents...give us all a break.
Ah sorry but u don't see how I was whinging, I have never stated that we don't recruit, we recruit 2-3 players a year maximum to try and be competitive. In saying that we are proud of the fact and it has always been a focus of ours to promote our own players and I think that can be seen throughout the teams at our club. All I was stating is that because of the success of their colts team over recent years it would be good to see some of these players make it through to the top grade, because in the past despite having a strong colts team they have still relied heavily on recruited players. This is not a whinge but just pointing out a fact, I have an enormous amount of respect for their program, which they are able to run given the success of their club and it is a standard that we are all trying to match and makes it all the more rewarding when we beat them!

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Is it true that they are offering cash sign on incentives to play at Easts? Should this be happening considering the financial situation Easts are in, having to borrow money from the Brumbies to stay afloat? Says a lot that they have to offer cash to get kids to go to their club, setting a dangerous precedent.

Grant, whilst I don't know the exact details, generally assistance provided may be petrol money, study assistance, boot money or similar - certainly not a substantial 'wage' or 'retainer' by any means.

Most, if not all premier clubs do this.

A more important factor behind the signings is the relationship between our coaches and St Edmunds. Both Jez Osborne and Reza Almasi are proud Eddies old boys and Australian Schoolboys reps who've volunteered with St Edmunds this year and established a good rapport with the lads. I expect this relationship will continue to grow into the future.

Re: your dig at other clubs recruiting;
Queanbeyan have recruited players instead of promoting guys from their champion 2nd and 3rd XV's - so don't call out anyone about recruitment!

Wonder what your players in 2nd's and 3rd's must think about winning the competition convincingly and then having foreign guys parachuted in front of them?

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Grant, whilst I don't know the exact details, generally assistance provided may be petrol money, study assistance, boot money or similar - certainly not a substantial 'wage' or 'retainer' by any means.

A more important factor behind the signings is the relationship between our coaches and St Edmunds. Both Jez Osborne and Reza Almasi are proud Eddies old boys and Australian Schoolboys reps who've volunteered with St Edmunds this year and established a good rapport with the lads. I expect this relationship will continue to grow into the future.

Queanbeyan have recruited players instead of promoting guys from their champion 2nd and 3rd XV's - so don't call out anyone about recruitment!

Wonder what your players in 2nd's and 3rd's must think about winning the competition convincingly and then having foreign guys parachuted in front of them?

If this is the case, good on them for taking the initiative to get in there and build a relationship, it is no secret that Queanbeyan have had a good relationship with old Eddies boys which has seen many of them end up at Queanbeyan (where a large percentage of them are from).

Remind me where I had a dig at clubs recruiting. I stated that it would be nice for Tuggeranong to have some of their colts players end up in the top grade, because in the past they have relied heavily on recruited players, this is just pointing out a fact.

And as I said, of course Queanbeyan recruit, we had 3 recruited players this year but the majority of our squad are blokes who just want to play for the Whites.

And maybe do a little bit of research. Ryan Jones, Alex Rowley, Adam Kennedy, Jake Holland were all an integral part of our first grade squad this year. Where were they playing the previous year? Not Sydney, Brisbane or New Zealand. Queanbeyan Whites 3rd grade and because of their form got a chance in first grade this year and did not let anyone down. So I would say we do promote from our own more than you might think, or wish to think.

Bugeye

Allen Oxlade (6)
If I

If I was at Queanbeyan playing 4th grade or 3rd grade I would go to another club and play a higher grade of rugby

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
If I
If I was at Queanbeyan playing 4th grade or 3rd grade I would go to another club and play a higher grade of rugby
Fair point and this might be the case for some people, but most players at Queanbeyan would rather play 3rd grade for us than higher grades elsewhere simply because they love playing for the club and being part of our culture.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Fair point and this might be the case for some people, but most players at Queanbeyan would rather play 3rd grade for us than higher grades elsewhere simply because they love playing for the club and being part of our culture.

When I referred earlier to the 'parachuting' imports over your 2nd's and 3rd's, I was referring to players like Brendan Spears, Zac Tarrant, Nathan Smith - not the players you mentioned.

Without knowing if they were injured, didn't train etc - they are all very good players. I wouldn't take it for granted any player of their calibre sticking around when they could (and should) push for 1st XV/higher honours.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Does anyone have any information on the ACT u20s game this weekend?

Had a good afternoon watching - however they spent far too much time doing drills rather than playing.

Surprised not to see more local club talent scouts there - many young guys from out of town were present and will need new homes.

Easts will be happy with the performances of GP Pretorius who was the standout player on the day.
Jason Tomane, Leti Tago and Wez Rogoyawa also showed some good touches. As an Easts guy, will be great seeing this talent either in the 1st XV or Colts.

Queanbeyan's winger (Lancaster?) looked good in contact, very quick.

Wests Nic Rodriguez was very technically sound at the scrum, big lad - bit of fitness and gym time and he will be quite an asset to the lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.