• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Joost van der Westhuizen

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah very sad.

I was lucky enough to meet him at the Adrenlin bar in Brisbane after the Boks 2003 RWC group match against Samoa, really nice bloke as were all the Saffas.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Yes it's a terrible thing. I remember Joost when he first played the Wallabies as a 19 year old for North Transvaal - his class just shone through and I followed his path from then on in. Not reading anything into it, but that Springbok team that won the World Cup in 95 have really had a disproportionate amount of ill luck. Please, our South African friend correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Ruden Kruger died, Anton Venter is a parapeligic (from a really bizarre bacterial infection), and now Joost with this - doesn't make sense, all we still strong fit and active. Life really is a roll of the dice sometimes.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Very sad . A close friend of mine is 34 and got diagnosed with it last year. His deterioration over 1 year has been devestating. unfortunately we can't see him going another 12 months. best thing we could do is make his last days memorable. Poor guy has 3 kids and a wife :( . Feel bad for Joost.

St Peter

Stan Wickham (3)
Terrible position to be in.

I too have a close mate who was diagnosed with MND last year and it is tragic to see the impact this has had for everyone. He decided to do something about it and began a foundation called MND and Me to raise funds for the cause. He even managed to raise funds by getting the Reds to put the foundation logo on their jerseys from the game at Suncorp with the Brumbies this year, which were then auctioned off.

If anyone is interested to find out more or to contribute, their website is http://www.mndandme.net/

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yeah not great news.

I always hated him as a player. Too bloody tall as a halfback, used to taunt the tv screen with insults about how he was a cat and should have played in the forwards.

Well he played International Rugby and i did not so i guess he won no matter what i said, even if it was with a cheating team of grubs.

Sure he will go down fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.