• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Julia's Reign

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Liberals made a rod for their back when they dumped Turnbull. They have to take Abbott to the next election now. The only other real alternative is Hockey. Hockey would be a better leader than Abbott, but I believe he is clever enough with his ambitions that he will only accept the leadership position when he judges he has the full support of the party and a winnable election ahead of him.

I too would support a Turnbull lead Liberal party, but what's peoples opinions of this happening in the next 10 years? Abbott woul have to make a monumental stuff up for the Liberals to consider installing a new leader.

No they played politics.

They could see that Rudds numbers were waning in the polls so didn't want to miss an opportunity by giving him a win with the CPRS (which MT supported). Get rid of MT and the support goes, there is discontent with Rudd and it all trickles down.

The Coalition don't believe in "direct action" that's a phoney war. The majority of them are not climate change skeptics either but they don't believe in actually doing anything at the expense of the economy. It's pretty crazy actually - all round.

MT has that luxury however to be a "former leader" so gets to talk a little more freely than normal front benchers. But I can tell you now that there are some in the Liberal Party that would rather sabotage their own parties chances before they'd want MT as PM, such is some of the feeling towards him. But there's many an ALP story out there that fits this bill as well with certain characters.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Turnbull should have just joined the Labor party back in the day.

He'd probably be prime minister by now (or at-least deputy), and I reckon more of the Labor caucus would agree with his views than the liberal caucus currently does.

He fits the classical 'liberal' mold. But the libs are no longer a party for classical 'liberals' - they are a party for the tony abbotts, chris pyne's, gina reinharts and alan joneses of this country.

Excuse my punctuation, it's late and I couldn't be fucked fixing it.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Calm down Scotty.
I think Lindommer stated his position a bit higher up, which seemed pretty clear.
Your posts did invite the option of a short answer.
Maybe he didn't feel the need to add anything, I don't know. Not worth getting worked up over.

I don't think what I said in response to Lindommer's post was stepping over any line. No need for MattyK to come into it at all. It is him that I have the issue with.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No they played politics.

They could see that Rudds numbers were waning in the polls so didn't want to miss an opportunity by giving him a win with the CPRS (which MT supported). Get rid of MT and the support goes, there is discontent with Rudd and it all trickles down.

The Coalition don't believe in "direct action" that's a phoney war. The majority of them are not climate change skeptics either but they don't believe in actually doing anything at the expense of the economy. It's pretty crazy actually - all round.

MT has that luxury however to be a "former leader" so gets to talk a little more freely than normal front benchers. But I can tell you now that there are some in the Liberal Party that would rather sabotage their own parties chances before they'd want MT as PM, such is some of the feeling towards him. But there's many an ALP story out there that fits this bill as well with certain characters.

Turnbull has to be lib leader by the end of the year or, barring unforeseeable circumstances, I don't think he will ever be PM: he's either older than or the same age as Abbott. Hockey was born in 65 so he's next generation (if you can, see kitchen cabinet with him this week - seems a great bloke and has a great family story).

The climate change/carbon tax position is definitely crazy: the power bill Moses put up has a hidden tale. The object is to reduce carbon emissions. The pensioner is compensated for the "tax". What happens? She doubles her use.

How is that helping anyone except the power company?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Abbott is gawn.
Just can't see it. The Libs have invested 4 years in this guy and he seems to genuinely have the party in hand.

The Libs will scrape in by the fingernails as Labor won't have the Independents to rely on for the balance of power. The backlash against the three independents for siding with Labor while representing National/Liberal heartlands is going to be epic.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just can't see it. The Libs have invested 4 years in this guy and he seems to genuinely have the party in hand.

The Libs will scrape in by the fingernails as Labor won't have the Independents to rely on for the balance of power. The backlash against the three independents for siding with Labor while representing National/Liberal heartlands is going to be epic.
Oakeshott definitely wont last, but Katter definitely will, and i wouldn't count out Windsor, one of the most decent politicians Australia has.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Well you guys always have the last say at the actual election ;)
But i reckon he's finished: he says he doesn't take any notice of the polls and he's not going to change his approach - then says how he's going to tell everyone about the damage the carbon tax is doing to their power bills.
As this thread has demonstrated - thats about as effective as a Wallabies/Waratahs mid field bomb.
The nerve of the Libs backbenchers will now be tested.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Oakeshott definitely wont last, but Katter definitely will, and i wouldn't count out Windsor, one of the most decent politicians Australia has.
Decent? because he hates Abbott?
Spare me.
The only difference between Windsor and Oakeshott is that Windsor is half smart.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Thankfully Labor have seen sense in South Australia and have kept Penny Wong at #1 in their senate preferences.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
That was such a non-issue. SA currently have 4 Labor senators, and even in an electoral wipeout would still get 2. So it doesn't matter in the slightest who holds what spot.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Coalition is in for a real headache over the Murray Darling issue.
Last I heard it seemed unlikely to come to that because the states were opposed to the governments announced intention.
Or is that just the posturing prior to negotiating a compromise?
My hunch is that the coalition is going to have some headaches of its own making as Abbott slips.
But this issue would be more divisive for them under Turnbull because of what I assume would be his support for returning more water to the basin.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Last I heard it seemed unlikely to come to that because the states were opposed to the governments announced intention.
Or is that just the posturing prior to negotiating a compromise?
My hunch is that the coalition is going to have some headaches of its own making as Abbott slips.
But this issue would be more divisive for them under Turnbull because of what I assume would be his support for returning more water to the basin.

Turnbull as Minister for the Environment showed a clear understanding of the difficult issues involved, but had to try to work with his "broad church" party and keep the upstream irrigators happy. The ALP has a much easier job of it since the cockies are never going to vote for them.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Here's something that will doubtless spur debate:
We live, it seems, in two Australias.
One exists in so-called "reality", allegedly observable via evidence and facts. The other one exists in the mind of many in the media and the government's critics in business.
The purported "real" Australia doesn't look too bad. It has low unemployment, low inflation, remarkably low interest rates, a huge pipeline of business investment, low government debt and steady economic growth. Its government shepherded the country through the global financial crisis by protecting the banking sector and providing fiscal stimulus, and is now engaged in a dramatic fiscal contraction that has allowed the country's central bank to cut interest rates. Its tax-cutting government has presided over a 1.5% fall in tax to GDP ratio. The world's credit rating agencies are sufficiently impressed to have given Australia the best possible sovereign ratings, and its currency has, to the chagrin of its exporters, become a reserve currency valued by forex traders and central banks the world over.
The country is governed by a minority government that, in spite of predictions about how unworkable it would be, has produced a long succession of legislated reforms, albeit of the small-to-medium variety, but some big ones as well: a carbon price, further big improvements to its already world-leading superannuation system, an overhaul of health funding, and cuts to the absurdly generous middle-class welfare bequeathed to it by the previous government.
Its Prime Minister, initially clumsy and forced in the role, has over time grown into it, and now even appears competent on the world stage, with a close relationship with President Barack Obama. The country is the world's 12th largest economy and one of the few developed economies still showing vigour.
All that stands in dire contrast to the Australia which, we're told, is actually out there and which we can read and hear about in the media.
"The Australia portrayed in the pages of newspapers and on talkback radio increasingly bears no resemblance to reality ..."
That Australia is an economic wasteland, on the way to joining Spain and Greece. It is labouring under a crushing public debt burden. Its pro-union industrial relations laws have slashed productivity and threaten to derail the country's resources boom. A "sea of red tape" stifles innovation. The government has bungled relations with China and its name is mud in Washington because we've cut defence spending.
The country has a property bubble and its over-reliance on foreign borrowings that mean our banks will collapse when there's another financial crisis, necessitating vast bailouts. It's the government's fault that mining companies all tried to invest in new projects at once, bidding up the cost of labour and other supplies.
Its carbon price (instituted because the Prime Minister, being a woman, was easily controlled by extreme environmentalist Bob Brown) has sent consumer prices through the roof, and all for nothing because climate change is a giant conspiracy, or even if it exists, Australia can't do anything about it despite being a massive carbon exporter and the world's most carbon-dependent major economy. The country's "Communist" mining tax, despite raising no revenue, is deterring investment. Corrupt union officials oversee our biggest superannuation funds, even if those funds out-perform funds overseen by the big banks.
Indeed, the stain of union corruption is everywhere, for the Prime Minister herself is corrupt. Corrupt how, corrupt in what way, isn't made clear despite acres of newsprint and investigative journalists working full-time for months on the "story" and even the ABC, criticised by its media watchdog program, goaded into action; but somehow, in some unspecified way, she acted corruptly just under two decades ago, and is now somehow stifling an investigation of it, including making files disappear (and then reappear, presumably just to throw people off the scent). But she has Questions To Answer.
And to distract from this corruption, the Prime Minister plays the gender card, claiming she's a victim of a misogynist campaign, while her deputy engages in class war, trying to demonise successful entrepreneurs. Worse, she's planning a Stalinist assault on free speech intended to censor her media critics.
The Australia portrayed in the pages of newspapers and on talkback radio increasingly bears no resemblance to reality; the "coverage" is an ever more lurid fantasy based on the arch-villainy of Julia Gillard, simultaneously weak and incompetent at governing but fiendishly clever and ruthless at covering up her crimes, while the country she leads goes to wrack and ruin, or at least it will When The Boom Ends or When The Next Global Crisis Occurs or When Financial Markets Lose Confidence. That's if she lasts. Surely she'll be gone within weeks. Some new revelation, some smoking gun, some crucial piece of evidence will destroy her prime ministership. Just you wait.
And we wonder where we'll get quality journalism from when the internet finally destroys newspapers.
In today's Crikey, by Bernard Keane.

Status
Not open for further replies.