• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Julia's Reign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Worth remembering that you can't hold a parliamentary position with the ALP if you are NOT a member of a union. Often defined as a closed shop.

Nah, you don't even have to be a member of the party. All you have to do is be the captain’s choice. Ask Nova (what the fuck of value have I ever done) Perris. It also helps if you are an indigenous women (though not the type that has experience in a NT Labor Government cabinet) and not a short, long and loyal serving fat Caucasian women that has earned the respect of her constituency.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Let's just call a spade a spade. We have the dip stick political stock we have now because they are the idiots we as a society voted in.

to many people just vote for who can line our pockets the most with often money we are not deserving with little thought for the wider picture. As a result we have the political cattle that just spoon feed us the bullshit we want to hear knowing full well the wider public are that stupid that it will be swallowed and when it looks like they might be held to account they just role out the next wave of bull shit that we want to hear to divert attention.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The voters don't usually have a choice in the identity of the preselected candidates: they have to make a choice at the election.

If you make your choice along party-political lines then some may argue that the choice is out of your hands.

So the "dip-stick" factor may be out of your control.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nah, you don't even have to be a member of the party. All you have to do is be the captain’s choice. Ask Nova (what the fuck of value have I ever done) Perris. It also helps if you are an indigenous women (though not the type that has experience in a NT Labor Government cabinet) and not a short, long and loyal serving fat Caucasian women that has earned the respect of her constituency.

This seems a little revisionist. Trish Crossin was parachuted into the Senate in the Northern Territory in 1998 when a casual vacancy was created by a retirement.

Her history was also as a union official. Arguably this is what the ALP needs to be reversing if they want to regain popular support. If there is anything that people are sick of is that the ALP is full of union cronies.

Essentially Trish Crossin was the captain's choice in 1998. Now the captain has decided to choose someone else.

I find it hard to argue that Trish Crossin had done more of value prior to entering politics than Nova Perris has.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I find it hard to argue that Trish Crossin had done more of value prior to entering politics than Nova Perris has.
Its this bit I particularly wanted to endorse.
I thought I read back when Nova was a Kneebone that her team mates in the hockey squad were not all that fond of her because she tended to back self interest, but my searching has failed to find an article to support my ailing memory - maybe it was all just the product of prejudice on my part.
Anyone recall anything like that?

Edit:
But her only individual win in Kuala Lumpur - the 200m sprint - was marred by controversy when she blitzed past Australian favourite Melinda Gainsford-Taylor, who collapsed injured within sight of the finish line.
Some criticised Ms Peris for failing to rush to Gainsford-Taylor's side after crossing the line, although she claimed she was unaware of the injury until minutes later.
In a 2003 Fairfax interview, Ms Peris complained: "Mel is blonde and beautiful and a media favourite, while I am an Aboriginal from the Top End. It's never quite stated, but I did sense some racist undertones in some of those articles."

If that's all there is its pretty lame, I admit.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I met Nova last year (sadly at the funeral of her ex-husband and father of her kids). She seems like a very nice and genuine lady.

I wish her well in politics. Hopefully she can have a positive impact.

As someone who holds a lot of Labor values, I have become pretty disallusioned with the party in recent years and definitely think a move away from being full of lifelong union officials will help the party. They need to be able to attract people who share their values but don't subscribe to the concept that the people who do their time in the party end up being elected politicians. That only results in lacklustre candidates who have little to offer.

Quality people with experience and influence outside the world of politics should be able to join the party they aspire to represent and run for government without having to wait behind a line of average candidates who have done nothing more than hang around the political party/unions since they were teenagers/young adults waiting for their turn.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
This seems a little revisionist. Trish Crossin was parachuted into the Senate in the Northern Territory in 1998 when a casual vacancy was created by a retirement.

Her history was also as a union official. Arguably this is what the ALP needs to be reversing if they want to regain popular support. If there is anything that people are sick of is that the ALP is full of union cronies.

Essentially Trish Crossin was the captain's choice in 1998. Now the captain has decided to choose someone else.

The answer to this is in your first paragraph. She went in as a result of a vacancy created by a retirement. Not a dumping of a sitting senator who has the long earned respect of her constituency. The captain’s choice has spat in the face of that same constituency and the one that will be relied on to get her captains pick into the senate. If the captain was so keen for Nova Perris or a female Aboriginal member of either house, why did she not push for one to be endorsed as the candidate for the seat of Solomon (Darwin Area) which is currently held by the coalition? That seat is marginal and is wide open due to a Foul CLP NT Government and a sitting member who has done very little of substance since being elected.

Labor in the NT is on some real shaky ground within its traditional constituency. The indigenous vote has all but abandoned them. The NT Election was one by CLP single handedly as a result of this and it has completely changed the face of the traditional political demographic NT wide. They quite frankly got sick of being treated idiots and taken for granted by the ALP. The captain has done nothing to address this as this captains choice has the entire NT feeling like they have been treated like idiots and with contempt. I don't think they are wrong to feel this way.

If Labor is to win it will be by the skin of its teeth and the captain may have alienated the constituency that may get her over the line. Lingiari which is held by a substantial margin by the ALP I would say is anything but safe. Sitting member Warren Snowden has a long history of doing 3/5 of 5/8 and deserves nothing more that to have his arse dumped out of the parliament.

I don't disagree with what you say about union cronies though I think that what has people so sick of the ALP is its ability to eat itself from within. I know both are linked though.

Nova Perris is a very poor choice. You say you are sick of cronies but without the endorsement of rank and file NT Labor all we have in Nova Perris is the Captains crony. She will be flat out trying to mend internal wounds within the time frame she has let alone gaining the trust of a constituency that feels it has been disrespected. The entire ALP brand on voting day may feel the wrath of this decision. People are already cynical enough to know the dumping of Crossin was about her being a Rudd Supporter. Nova Perris is far from a unifying figure either. I think you will find that she is just another celebrity candidate that has not been chosen for any real community advocacy of substance.

Strategically this is a huge stuff up from the captain and the ALP.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting that Libs have had indigenous representatives and are called conservatives.

And a leader who classifies them as Urban Aboriginals and Authentic Aboriginals. Another gem from the big gob of our alternative PM.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting that this is not campaign mode. Could it be that if she was she would not have the public service etc at her dispoasl and the ALP would have to pay for things?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The ALP can foot the bill for this Rooty Hill circus. The PM has an official residence in Sydney and if she chooses not to use it it should be on the party coin and not the tax payer.

Sadly I can't see it happening this way.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Julia Gillard will be still be the prime minister in two weeks time. I'm predicting a leadership spill pretty soon.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I don't think Julia Gillard will be still be the prime minister in two weeks time. I'm predicting a leadership spill pretty soon.
I just can't see it. They have backed themselves into a corner.

The only other options are Shorten who is seen as a poisonous union toadie. Roxon is too inexperienced to step up and the only one I can think of who would be even remotely well received by the public and Rudd, who will bring on a shit storm of Liberal campaign adds replaying in graphic detail the damage caused to Rudd's reputation as the party publicly dressed him down when he was deposed. Mostly to justify their actions.

But Rudd is the logical choice considering his standing in the polls if they do move.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I just can't see it. They have backed themselves into a corner.

The only other options are Shorten who is seen as a poisonous union toadie. Roxon is too inexperienced to step up and the only one I can think of who would be even remotely well received by the public and Rudd, who will bring on a shit storm of Liberal campaign adds replaying in graphic detail the damage caused to Rudd's reputation as the party publicly dressed him down when he was deposed. Mostly to justify their actions.

But Rudd is the logical choice considering his standing in the polls if they do move.

Roxon is gone Charger, so she is definitely not an option.

For a leadership change to happen its going to have to take an experienced Gillard supporter (eg Crean) to tap her on the shoulder and tell her that she no longer has the numbers.

Now who takes over is a whole other story.

As for Rudd, it's going to take a bus load of grovelling backbenchers taking a road trip to Griffith saying all is forgiven, bring back Kevin 07. He is not going to challenge unless there is a massive turnaround in the caucus.

Shorten, Combet, if they had any nous they would bide their time.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
The unions will decide who is leader. Only after a major loss will the party have influnence to say look you blokes gave us Julia and it failed.
Then we could have Kevin return to pick up the mess. That is assuming he will still be around or wants the job. The UN calls or perhaps ambassodor to China will be offered by Abbott

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Shorten's body language is he doesnt want it.
Combet - now there's an impatient fellow who might drink from a poisoned chalice but i doubt it. I think she's riding this one to the ground.

Kevin would have to be drafted in, which would mean a large number of MPs and faceless men eating shit sandwichs and smiling. I can't see that happening unless/until Labor are devastated in the polls.

No one else looks ready to take over the death ride to September 14 and Julia won't get the tap on the shoulder unless someone is already lined up to take over. I'd put money on Julia renacting the Charge of the Light Brigade into the next election and Rudd taking over afterward.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
. I'd put money on Julia renacting the Charge of the Light Brigade into the next election and Rudd taking over afterward.

I'm sure you can.
I'd be surprised if Rudd wins the leadership after the election: Shorten/Combet have no leadership baggage.
If the ALP lose the election they will want to show they have taken a lesson from that defeat and put the past behind them.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I'm sure you can.
I'd be surprised if Rudd wins the leadership after the election: Shorten/Combet have no leadership baggage.
If the ALP lose the election they will want to show they have taken a lesson from that defeat and put the past behind them.

Agree. Putting Rudd back in would just lead to a continuation of the endless rounds of leadership speculation, unless all the senior figures who blasted Rudd publicly last February walked the plank.

The only attraction to putting Rudd back in prior to the election would be to attempt to save a few Queensland and Sydney seats in the September train-wreck - which no doubt looks like an attractive option to the MPs in those seats. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.