• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Julia's Reign

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm sure you can.
I'd be surprised if Rudd wins the leadership after the election: Shorten/Combet have no leadership baggage.
If the ALP lose the election they will want to show they have taken a lesson from that defeat and put the past behind them.
I'm sure Rudd only has interest in the top job,BEFORE the election.
If things remain unchanged, it looks like the Coalition will have such a comprehensive win, that it will be a 2 term victory.
Now way would he be interested in being opposition leader for a minimum four years,but a probable eight 8 years.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Agree. Putting Rudd back in would just lead to a continuation of the endless rounds of leadership speculation, unless all the senior figures who blasted Rudd publicly last February walked the plank.

The only attraction to putting Rudd back in prior to the election would be to attempt to save a few Queensland and Sydney seats in the September train-wreck - which no doubt looks like an attractive option to the MPs in those seats.

I thought some polling referred to on Insiders a few weeks ago suggested that rudd was not the answer for saving queensland seats

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Post-election, the federal Labor party will find itself in the same quandary as the NSW party - it's clear that the voters are sick of the machinations of the "faceless men", but the only viable candidates for leadership are intimately connected with those same processes - John Robertson in NSW, Shorten and Combet federally.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Shorten more exposed having IR portfolio but Combet I find does a good job in his role as minister for climate change. As long as he does a good job I don't care where he came from.

I think Howard over a long period of time changed the social fabric of the country and Labor just hasn't been able to adapt to this change and accept that it has happened. The constant battle over the right makes me want to vomit. Then that fails and then they try to cling to the left which makes me want to vomit again. They need to grab hold of the center and run with it. Oh I miss Paul Keating.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Shorten more exposed having IR portfolio but Combet I find does a good job in his role as minister for climate change. As long as he does a good job I don't care where he came from.

I think Howard over a long period of time changed the social fabric of the country and Labor just hasn't been able to adapt to this change and accept that it has happened. The constant battle over the right makes me want to vomit. Then that fails and then they try to cling to the left which makes me want to vomit again. They need to grab hold of the center and run with it. Oh I miss Paul Keating.

I think Howard is given too much credit by some and, correspondingly, too much blame by others - usually in the same areas.
The world went through massive changes from the time Howard became opposition leader until the time of his defeat: none of them was down to him.
It is true that he undermined the union movement - but union membership had been declining for decades.
The trouble with the ALP chasing the centre is that they have a competitor in that area and the presence of that competitor leads to an increase in the price each is prepared to pay in order to govern and to carving out niches of special entitlement according to expediency.
Middle class welfare is unsustainable.

K

kbw

The problem with the ALP is that it has morons (Gillard, Swan and Rudd) running the ship that are not labor party politicians.
These egomanaiacs are there simply because it looks good on their resume.

Love or hate labor, at least when they had "real" labor politicians you could respect some things they did and knew that at least there was some reasoning and concern for Australians. These 3 stooges could not care less about anyone but themselves.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Swing to Lib in WA ominous today for the coming September election. The Liberals are a palatable leader away from a landslide in the federal election.
I think the electorates taste buds are so inflamed that they don't care about palatability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
The problem we face now is a phoney election campaign till the writs are issued. So we will have little effective government for 6 months. Just what any economy and people need!
Also it was nice to see that the media have focussed on the ALP's poor performance in WA and missed the real story. The ALP had a 6% swing against it. The greens lost 30 % of their vote.
That would cost them Melbourne and perhaps two senate seats.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Election years are always all about the election. Both parties would have been planning on going to the pools between Sept and Nov of this year anyway, so the early announcement wouldn't really have changed the government's plans for the year.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Election years are always all about the election. Both parties would have been planning on going to the pools between Sept and Nov of this year anyway, so the early announcement wouldn't really have changed the government's plans for the year.

It were the case then when the PM announced it her ministers, some being intervied on Tv at the time didn't know?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
It were the case then when the PM announced it her ministers, some being intervied on Tv at the time didn't know?

Certainly, the decision to announce the election so early had all the marks of being a hasty decision, perhaps because Gillard was feeling some leadership heat in the Caucus. But every MP (Moana Pasifika) would have known that every federal election occurs in spring when people are feeling good about themselves. They could string it out until early 2014, but the logic is that people don't want their summer holidays interrupted by campaigning. Personally, if I was the PM, I'd be hanging on until the last day in order to actually get some things done before the inevitable chop. But I don't think this government even knows what they want to do, or is too timid to genuinely get behind those ideas.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Certainly, the decision to announce the election so early had all the marks of being a hasty decision, perhaps because Gillard was feeling some leadership heat in the Caucus. But every MP (Moana Pasifika) would have known that every federal election occurs in spring when people are feeling good about themselves. They could string it out until early 2014, but the logic is that people don't want their summer holidays interrupted by campaigning. Personally, if I was the PM, I'd be hanging on until the last day in order to actually get some things done before the inevitable chop. But I don't think this government even knows what they want to do, or is too timid to genuinely get behind those ideas.

Would the capt of a rugby team go out and tell the ref his plans but not his other players. Disorganized and amateurish. I would not want to be part of a team like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.