• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Junior Scrum Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I've heard the laws in Australia are different to other countries. Does anyone know where to get information on our laws for different age groups and (long shot) other countries and the IRB laws?
Do you think our laws put us at a disadvantage?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
in your opinion are uor kids at ny disadvantage compared to other countries.it

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Aurora Australis

Frank Nicholson (4)
I had the opportunity to host visiting players u16 and u18 during the year English and New Zealanders.
They expressed some confusion about the application of the rules as they did not play them.
Having said that the high performance front rowers I know in this age that enjoy the technical aspect of their position have expressed a willingness to give away some penalties/ free kicks to let weaker opposition know where they stand. It is also necessary for them to try this on for when they do come up against similarly disposed props.

This falls apart a bit when coaches select for a 5 flanker game plan and compromise front row skill and technique for extra ball runners on the field

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^Often the coaches also have second rowers who are also loose forward types, and play a 7 flanker, 1 No.8 game plan.

That will work to a degree in the junior games with junior rules, but does little to prepare boys for the day when they play open grade rules, particularly the props and second rowers.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The IRB website contains a section U19 variations: http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?variation=1
without checking it word for word the scrum variation seems to be the same as we play here.
Only difference that I am aware of is the Australian prohibition on 2nd rowers crotch binding. This issue often comes up in touring matches, where NZ teams are (or at least were last time I ran across this) allowed to crotch bind.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lineout lifting using the legs is an issue that is generating some attention ATM, but this is a scrum thread, so I am going to finish my story.

Colts 3 play Under 19 rules, no crotch binding and lineout lifting on the pants only.
Colts 2 play "International" rules in all aspects of the game.

Pedantic referees in Colts 3 can confuse the buggery out of those kids who drift between Colts 2 and Colts 3 teams throughout the year.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Here's a start: These are the U6 to U12's rules.

http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/KidsRugby/KidsPathway.aspx

You should be able find more links from there.

We had an interesting experience this year when we were scheduled to play a touring u11s team. In NZ, u11's play a full 15 man team, full field rules but uncontested scrums. Our u11's rules are 12 man teams with side-lines marked 5m in on each side but with contested scrums.

The NZ team pretty much demanded to play by their rules and were told that our u11's team would not be allowed to play due to ARU rules and for insurance reasons (although we were happy to accept the non-contested scrum). The kiwis refused to budge and went on only to play u12's teams. They got smashed in their first game against the u12's Helensvale Hogs. Not sure how they went for the remainder of the season.

So basically; u10's and 11's have 6 man scrums and can not push further than 1m. Also, No.8 moves from the back of the scrum are NOT allowed.
NZ rules are 8 man scrums but uncontested - not sure about their No.8 moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.