• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
O/S or Aus? with SNK is leaving, he may be a nice option

Brisbane Broncos losing hope of retaining Karmichael Hunt

By Jim Morton
March 17, 2009

Brisbane Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen has admitted the NRL club is losing hope of retaining star full-back Karmichael Hunt.
The Broncos on Monday withdrew their reported $1.2 million dollar offer over three years after the Test and Queensland Origin back failed to meet a round one deadline.

The club has immediately started contingency plans to replace Hunt who will now have to accept a reduced offer to stay with Brisbane.

A disappointed Cullen on Tuesday insisted relations remained cordial between the parties but said time was quickly running out to settle on a new deal.

He denied the Broncos were playing hard-ball, saying they couldn't afford to sit on their hands as Hunt waited for big-money offers to come in from European and Japanese rugby clubs.

"We're not playing at all, we're just being fair dinkum about a process that's been going for seven weeks now," Cullen told reporters.

"We think it's time to move on, we don't want to miss the boat on this one.

"If in a week or two or four weeks' time if Karmichael actually came back and said he was leaving at that point in time we might have missed opportunities to get someone to replace him."

Cullen believed Hunt was looking at escaping Brisbane to play rugby or league overseas for one to two seasons with a view to returning to the NRL down the track.

The Broncos boss admitted the 11-Test fullback, who made his NRL debut with the club at 17, was a "slightly different character" since last September's sexual assault allegations, from which no charges were laid.

"I get the impression he's not that comfortable with a whole lot of things in his life at the moment and he might be just thinking the best place for him is not in Brisbane," Cullen said.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
if he doesn't want to be in Briso, Sydney will be worse. He needs to get away from it. I reckon head to the Force would be an option, with Mitchell a big chance to leave.

In my mind he's a 12 though. Him and JOC (James O'Connor) in the 10/12 spot?

But Japan's probably a big option for him.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The main substance issue I've heard (and most have probably heard) is about the captain there.

Heard a few rumours about Hunt - arrogant and has some behavioural problems. Agree that getting him well away from Brisbane and Sydney might be best for him.

Hunt was a devastating schoolboy 12.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Ash said:
The main substance issue I've heard (and most have probably heard) is about the captain there.

Heard a few rumours about Hunt - arrogant and has some behavioural problems. Agree that getting him well away from Brisbane and Sydney might be best for him.

Why would any Union franchise want to purchase another `problem'?

T

TOCC

Hunt has no more problems then someone like Quade Cooper or James O'Connor..

He wants out of Brisbane due to the media focus and scutiny he was put through, so in that token the Waratahs are also out of the question.

ACT and WA are the two prime candidates, from what i hear the Brumbies are actually in a very good position to sign him.

His 22, he has achieved all there is to achieve in Rugby League, now he wants to travel and see the world, no better way to do it then with the Wallabies and in Buisness Class on Qantas

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Not sure that Cooper or O'Connor has been subject to quite the same level of allegation as Hunt?

T

TOCC

spectator said:
Not sure that Cooper or O'Connor has been subject to quite the same level of allegation as Hunt?

no thats my point, they havent been on the receiving end of such allegations, thats only because of there lower exposure, i know that the brother of quade coopers girlfriend hates his guts because of some of the stuff he does to his sister. I know that JOC (James O'Connor) has been in a few more 'incidents' then those publicised, i know for a fact that Lote Tuqiri could have been charged for assault on his girlfriend when he was back at the broncos.

The list is endless, Josh Valantine, this kid was a loose cannon when he was a the Reds, i witnessed him in a fight in the valley when he was back at the Reds, all because he 'felt like it'..

Obviously some of those are quite old now, Valentines and Tuqiris incidents were quite a few years ago now, and Quades issues with his girlfriend were a couple of years ago now as well, all im saying is that these guys arent innocent of issues either, its in part only due to there lower exposure or coverups by the clubs.

S

Spook

TOCC said:
spectator said:

no thats my point, they havent been on the receiving end of such allegations, thats only because of there lower exposure, i know that the brother of quade coopers girlfriend hates his guts because of some of the stuff he does to his sister. I know that JOC (James O'Connor) has been in a few more 'incidents' then those publicised, i know for a fact that Lote Tuqiri could have been charged for assault on his girlfriend when he was back at the broncos.

The list is endless, Josh Valantine, this kid was a loose cannon when he was a the Reds, i witnessed him in a fight in the valley when he was back at the Reds, all because he 'felt like it'..

Obviously some of those are quite old now, Valentines and Tuqiris incidents were quite a few years ago now, and Quades issues with his girlfriend were a couple of years ago now as well, all im saying is that these guys arent innocent of issues either, its in part only due to there lower exposure or coverups by the clubs.

It's pretty stupid to write these sort of things on a public forum.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Sure there's plenty of off field problems with Hunt. Reason I don't like this move is he isn't actually any good. At 21/22, he's already going downhill, has lost a lot of pace and wasn't actually all that quick to begin with.

R

rugbywhisperer

Ash said:

For those of us who saw/experienced him as a schoolboy - and it hurt - he was pure cream on the cake.

T

TOCC

naza said:
Sure there's plenty of off field problems with Hunt. Reason I don't like this move is he isn't actually any good. At 21/22, he's already going downhill, has lost a lot of pace and wasn't actually all that quick to begin with.

His no greg inglis or anything like that, but he is a very determined player who has very few weaknesses, people can say what they want about his personality but he works extremely hard on his game and making himself the most complete footballer he can be.

If he were to swith to union, i imagine he would be a very 'safe' player for a position, almost in the same mould as Barnes, neither are game-breakers but both bring very important elements to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.