• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kicking Coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I am sure they have their place. I am just curious on the value that Van-Stratan adds to the Wallaby setup. He looks to have helped Quade but my understanding is that Quade does not have another kicking coach. Darryl Halligan is JOC (James O'Connor)'s regular goal kicking coach and is it really of any benifit to have another coach crituque your work. To me it sonds like potential for the old addage of "to many cooks spoiling the broth". What does the student gain or is he just being confused by the advice of two seperate coaches given "there is more than one way to skin a cat"?

If JOC (James O'Connor) is the full time kicker for the Wallabies, does it make more sense to bring his regular kicking coach into the loop instead of a second one.

Your thoughts?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think Halligan is also mentor to a few NRL kickers and trying to get their schedules to match might be a logistical problem?

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Give it (the kicking) back to QC (Quade Cooper). Its good for the rest of his game and he is consistently inconsistent in a surprisingly valuable way - he kicks tough 'clutch' kicks more often than you expect.
:fishing

T

TOCC

It would have been interesting to see what a extra 9 points could have done to lift the boys a bit further and put extra pressure on the All Blacks.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It would have been interesting to see what a extra 9 points could have done to lift the boys a bit further and put extra pressure on the All Blacks.

While the 9 points would have made a difference I think in hindsight we should really only consider 6 points. It is rare for a kicker to kick 100% and 75% would be a good result.

Cooper kicked 2 conversions and there were 3 attempts by JOC (James O'Connor). It would be reasonable to expect 1 miss from the 5 attempts in the night- eg 80% success.

I agree that extra points would have made a difference, but I dont think we can bank on kickers at 100%.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Anyone see the Wales v England game. England won 23-19 despite being outscored three tries to two. Perfect kicking (5 from 5) from none other than rubber johnny including two drop goals, gave them the game. Ominous for us if we don't find some kicking form. Have we been ignoring this key skill in juniors like we did the scrum for so long, or have we just not got the talent? I am sick of watching in nervous anticipation every time we take a kick for goal.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I think Wilkinson is a special talent. He's definitely got good all round skills, but his kicking game, particularly goal kicking, is exceptional.

Kicking is such an individual thing, I don't think you can coach it too much until you get to an "elite" level. Also, i'm not sure of the advantages of kicking coaches - how many times do AFL players "miss" from kickable positions in a sport that is almost wholely focussed on kicking?

Status
Not open for further replies.