• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kings v Western Force - R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Not sure where to put this, but I'll put it here.

I've just had a chance to look at the Lions v Southern Kings warm-up match which was played on the weekend before last in front over over 18,000 fans. The Lions are the team that have been relegated in favour of the Kings but they will have the right to be promoted back into Super Rugby if they beat the lowest ranked SAffer team later in the year.

That looks like being the Kings - though they did not field their best side against the Lions which makes it hard to judge them.

For the Kings I didn't see Luke Watson, Andries Strauss (the centre, and cousin of the Springbok), Waylon Murray, Michael Killan and Steven Sykes on the park, nor the Argentine scrummie Nicolas Vergallo, who played against the Wallabies last year. Kiwi Hadleigh Parkes played 12 and he looked handy, as did scrummie Johan Herbst who scored two tries on the snipe.

The Lions were 22-7 ahead at oranges but won but by only 41-31 after fading in the 2nd half. To be fair, the Lions have lost influential players like Elton Jantjies to other Saffer franchises.

Some of the pundits reckon that the best chance for the Kings to get a win this year will be against the Force at home next weekend. I think the Force should handle them OK because the Kings had trouble getting enough possession, and their scrum was not that great.

PS – All the foreign players got on the park for their last trial match, against Griquas last weekend, but the Kings lost again.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Contrary to popular belief they are packing some serious talent the problem is past the best 18 players it starts to wear thin fast.....the weakest part of their team is definately the front row as they have no real recognised or established talent there. However their backrow and lock stocks are quite impressive.

The halves should be apt but a bit green and between murray, strauss,cooke and parkes they should be able to create a sturdy centre pairing.

The wingers are a bit of a mystery sergeal peterson is a bit of a young gun and SA u20 player he and siyanda grey will provide excitement this season but ar eunproven at this level this is mos tlikely why Killian will be a definite starter when fit.

The Kings are a green team and will probably have wallopings through out the season however i feel that there is some definite potential underneath all the green and if they can stave off relgation they will grow to be better than the lions were

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It will be a damning indictment of the Force if they cant manage to beat the Kings this weekend.

As for the Kings well if they cant beat the Force I cant see them winning a game this year.

When all is said and done i expect the Lions to be back in Super rugby next year.

They should just get both teams to merge and call them the Lion Kings. James Earl Jones can be their mascot.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It will be a damning indictment of the Force if they cant manage to beat the Kings this weekend.

As for the Kings well if they cant beat the Force I cant see them winning a game this year.

When all is said and done i expect the Lions to be back in Super rugby next year.

They should just get both teams to merge and call them the Lion Kings. James Earl Jones can be their mascot.

They are pretty far away from one another.

If they're desperate to have 5 teams the Bulls and Lions could easily be 1 team.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
If they're desperate to have 5 teams the Bulls and Lions could easily be 1 team.
Unfortunately I think there were one or two other things to consider besides geographic location. Anyway, the decision has been made now (rightly or wrongly) and we move on. I think it's safe to say there will be further expansion of Super Rugby (again rightly or wrongly) when the agreement for 2016 onwards is negotiated.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kings lost to Griquas as well, anything but a 13+ victory for the Force will be a failure. Kings won't win a game and SANZAR are gutless for allowing this.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

I think this is unfair comment on the force.......they are hardly the league whipping boys anymore. Only just losing to the rebels while at the same time lacking 3 of their starting XV

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

If you can put forth an argument for the Brumbies and Tahs to merge I will support you.

i.e. it ain't gonna happen.

We're headed for Super 16, 18 and 20 anyways so moot point.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I would say Force by 15-20 and this will be one of the only wins they get this year...

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think this is unfair comment on the force...they are hardly the league whipping boys anymore. Only just losing to the rebels while at the same time lacking 3 of their starting XV

Let me clarify my comment. I'm not having a go at the Force. They look to be a very solid team which perhaps only lack the 1 or 2 X factor players needed to be real contenders. I'm just saying that if the Kings can hope to win any games this year this has to be it because:-
A) its their debut game and will be bouyed by the occasion
B) they'll be a large parochial crowd supporting them;
C) they'll have there best 15 on the field. Taking into account injuries we might not see that many times again (if at all) this season and of all the teams in the comp they have by far and away the worst depth and cannot cover for injuries;
D) I cant see them winning a game on the road; and
E) Judging from the last few years, and on where I see the Force, the Force are likely to finish somehwere between 10-15 on the ladder.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
We're headed for Super 16, 18 and 20 anyways so moot point.

That may be the case but that doesn't advocate including more rubbish SA teams. Qwerty is right, SANZAR are gutless for allowing the Kings to enter for political reasons. Replacing the Lions with the Kings is detrimental to the quality of Super rugby (although seemingly advantagous to the top SA sides).

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)

Qed - only the Force are shit enough to lose to the new boys.

What happens when {INSERT TEAM HERE - let's say the Reds) get pole-axed by injuries, as happens every year, and lose to the Kings?

In that case I guess it would just be an anomaly, just like Week 6 last year?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Qed - only the Force are shit enough to lose to the new boys.

What happens when {INSERT TEAM HERE - let's say the Reds) get pole-axed by injuries, as happens every year, and lose to the Kings?

In that case I guess it would just be an anomaly, just like Week 6 last year?

Read my above comment. (#10) i never said the Force wont win this game. I'm quite sure theyll smash the Kings

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the Force don't absolutely blitz the Kings, we may as well cede our Super 15 franchise and let both the Lions and Kings in next year.

We've have a game under our belts and are a far better team. The Kings have a little bit of talent but they aren't used to playing together and haven't remotely performed against fairly average sides.

I am hoping for the kind of drubbing that the Rebels copped against the Tahs back in 2011.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If the Force don't absolutely blitz the Kings, we may as well cede our Super 15 franchise and let both the Lions and Kings in next year.

We've have a game under our belts and are a far better team. The Kings have a little bit of talent but they aren't used to playing together and haven't remotely performed against fairly average sides.

I am hoping for the kind of drubbing that the Rebels copped against the Tahs back in 2011.

All true but the Kings will be desperate and will play like the possessed. They will run the Force close because it's their first game and it's at home.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)

Alright, I'm just going to raise my plan again so I can prove it's mine before I send it to SANZAR and they take credit.

Merge the Lions and the Bulls. Keep the Lions' colours and the Bulls' name.

Then, sell the licence to an Austrian drinks manufacturer with a penchant for owning and operating sporting teams.

The Northern Red Bulls.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
All true but the Kings will be desperate and will play like the possessed. They will run the Force close because it's their first game and it's at home.

I'm on this train of thought. The Force will win but I wouldn't be surprised if the Kings got a bonus point.

That'll be their only point for the year, though.

And yes, I'll be buying their jersey this year, they'll be collectors items.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Read my above comment. (#10) i never said the Force wont win this game. I'm quite sure theyll smash the Kings

Nup. A bunch of weasel words can't justify nor hide the ignorance in the first comment.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Nup. A bunch of weasel words can't justify nor hide the ignorance in the first comment.

i can assure you iv got no reason to want to justify my comments to someone of your ilk.

Just out of curiousity which round do you claim is the Kings best chance of a win??........im all ears

Status
Not open for further replies.