1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Le Tour de France 2013

Discussion in 'Cycling' started by Hugh Jarse, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

This is what my friend got from a couple of twitter accounts he follows:

Final 15.65km - Froome is actually the 2nd quickest all time 48:35 v Armstrongs 48:33 from 2002.

Froome is the quickest up the last 6.15kms 17:41 v Pantani 18:11 from 2000.
  2. Ignoto Dick Tooth (41)

3. light Peter Fenwicke (45)

Haven't tuned into the TdF this year but keeping up with results and watching highlights etc. Froome is questionable, I do remember him being strong last year but his climbing has just gone beyond anything anyone has ever done before.

Porte is riding superbly, could win this thing one day. On the other hand I feel Cadel has peaked, just can't keep up.

Can anyone suggest a few young riders to keep an eye out for?
  4. MrTimms Ken Catchpole (46)

So Froome wins the ITT last night by 9 seconds, with a bike change included.

Is that adding to the suspicion or is he just a freak?
  5. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Well, if you want to put on a tinfoil hat, the latest area of discussion revolves around something called bilharzia.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/.arasite_295548

MrTimms likes this.
  6. light Peter Fenwicke (45)

That article had way too many big words for my brain to process constructively but that is interesting nonetheless.

After last night I've fallen off the fence in my opinion, he's a super freak, the kind of freak that doesn't come naturally.

The sad thing about this years tour is that no one will ever believe he is/was clean regardless of what the evidence may suggest.
    I like to watch likes this.
  7. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

8. The_Brown_Hornet Michael Lynagh (62)

Great stage it was too. I was gutted for TJ not being able to hold it together long enough to win. Froome was struggling BIG TIME on that last ascent and Porte just confirmed again the champion in waiting he is by assisting him over the line.

There was constant channel shuffling going on between the tour and the cricket last night.
    Gagger likes this.
  9. Blue Andrew Slack (58)

Richie Porte is a fucking machine. He has hurt people left right and centre. If he is needed, he is there. If Froome is hungry, he is there.

Unbelievable.
    daz likes this.
  10. The_Brown_Hornet Michael Lynagh (62)

Yeah, he's terrific isn't he. That's why I think he's a champion of the future. Hasn't flinched, always been there when the tough stuff is on and put a gap in the others. He and Michael Rogers did the same for Wiggins last year (along with Froome). Aussie cycling is looking relatively good at the minute.
  11. Gagger Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Stick Porte and and Rogers in the Green Edge team and we've got a real shout
    daz, MrTimms and The_Brown_Hornet like this.
  12. Blue Andrew Slack (58)

Here's to the little Colombian beating seven sorts of shit out of Contador tonight.
  13. Gagger Nick Farr-Jones (63)

And froome!
  14. daz Guest

Gotta give credit to Froome; that was one hell of a ride and he was outstanding from start to finish. Well deserved victory.

But I am willing to bet all the change in my pockets that Froome will buy Porte beers for the rest of his life. A truly superb job as wingman - He pushed Froome when he had to, gave encouragement when it was needed and kept the pedals ticking over with Swiss clock-like monotony.

I agree with Gaggs; put Porte in OGE as GC team leader and his time will come.
  15. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Porte had a fantastic tour. He'd have been very close to a podium finish if he was riding as a team leader rather than as a super domestique.
    The_Brown_Hornet likes this.
  16. Jethro Tah Bob Loudon (25)

Back in June during the Dauphiné, Sky announced they had extended Porte's contract but did not say for how long. They also said he will likely be team leader for the 2014 Giro. Bring it on!!
    The_Brown_Hornet likes this.
  17. Blue Andrew Slack (58)

I wouldn't get excited yet. Wiggins will throw a series of tantrums about it as he would want another crack at the Giro. Is he still under contract with Sky?