• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Le Tour

The Schleck chain incident: should Contador have attacked?

• Contador

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Cúntador

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Voigt is one of the more loved riders in the peloton. Loves to attack early and get himself in a breakaway. It's always incredible how those domestiques dig deep and bury themselves for their leader - they do a much better job for others then they could ever do. Look at Navarro for Contador - rode every favourite but Schleck and Contador off his wheel! Even Cuddles' domestiques killed themselves for him, which was great to see. Bookwalter, Ballan, Morabito and Santambrogio in particular.

Feel sorry for Evans. I don't think that he could've have hung with Schleck and Contador, but at his best could've probably been with Samu, a bit behind. Riding with a fractured elbow is a huge effort though, the guy must've been in massive pain. You could see how white and pale he was when climbing the Madeleine, something was clearly wrong.

Loved the attacks and counters from Contador and Schleck though. It was shades of the Chicken v Contador back in 2007. Agree that the Tour has missed this, and it sure beats the boring old USPS tempo train until Armstrong could ride off the front. Great to watch - those two guys going at each other.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
It sure was a fun stage. The Schlek/Contador duo decimated all the other hopefuls. No one else can hang with them. Bastille Day today. The French riders always give that little extra bit on the 14th. Not as killer a mountain stage like yesterday. I wonder if someone like Thomas Voeckler will sneak it by getting into the breakaway early, and then trying to pull away up the Col du Noyer to claim victory for France. How much time does Andy need on Contador to make up for his anticipated poor TT? If Andy truly has the legs to pull away from Contador, there are only two more big uphill finishes. Next Thursday the 22nd is looming largest with the finish up the Col du Tourmelet. That might be where the Tour for Schlek is lost or won. If he can crack Contador. A huge, huge if.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
If Andy truly has the legs to pull away from Contador, there are only two more big uphill finishes. Next Thursday the 22nd is looming largest with the finish up the Col du Tourmelet. That might be where the Tour for Schlek is lost or won. If he can crack Contador. A huge, huge if.

That is where it will be decided. The TT is 52km on the penultimate day. You would think that Schlek would want at least two minutes on Contador. It is possible to bet that with the Tourmalet being done both ways in two days. Rather them than me.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
I still think it will be Contador who will last out the 5 HCs from Sunday to Thursday in front and in better shape than Schleck for the TT as he has the better team with Vino and Navarro. I suspect we will see a bit more of Menchov and Sastre too as they have been quiet so far.

And Cadel, you're a champion.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah Contador and Astana look good, don't they. Can't see Schleck getting a TT-proof lead, although stranger things have certainly happened on the slopes of the Tourmalet. He will certainy pull out all the stops, which will make for fantastic viewing. As for the others, they are all competing for 3rd- I reckon Sanchez will get it, Menchov and Leipheimer lack any aggression or spark to take the others on.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Is it an omen for the upcoming 3N? An aussie actually showing a bit of grunt and rough stuff over a kiwi in the sporting arena, now that's something unheard of for a while. Aussie Mark Renshaw kicked off the Tour for doing a Bakkies on kiwi Julian Dean in the sprint finish of stage 11. Rumoured to be heard from the HTC Columbia team bus just before the start: "lets roll those c**ts".

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Silly stuff from Renshaw, but Dean should not have escaped sanction. He certainly instigated some of it, but Renshaw should have realised he wasn't on the track in a Kieren!!
I see the Kiwis are crying over it...:fishing

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Awesome move, the sneaky headbutt. Surprised he tried making excuses, should have just said "but he's a kiwi"

[video=youtube;ZvE3cYsn5sc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvE3cYsn5sc[/video]

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Silly stuff from Renshaw, but Dean should not have escaped sanction. He certainly instigated some of it, but Renshaw should have realised he wasn't on the track in a Kieren!!
I see the Kiwis are crying over it...:fishing

Whats to cry about? Guy was being a dickhead (headbutting in a helmet FFS!) & got what he deserved.

Nice fishing tho, you got one!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
OK, Schleck is a bit of a pompous fucker, but he's now got my backing following the chain incident.

Vote as appropriate in related poll

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't warm to either - Schleck due to his pomposity, bordering on arrogance, and Contador doing this, well, I can hardly say I'm surprised.
Can't vote or either, sorry.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Separate the personalities out and look at just the incident. Poor form from Contador, Sanchez, and Menchov.

Armstrong sat up for Ulrich in 2001. Ulrich sat up for Armstrong in 2003.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
What was the incident? I went to bed a bit earlier last night, missed it...

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
schlek went to make a break, had a good start to it and then slipped his chain. took about 30 secs to get it back on and in that time contador, etc. had rocketed ahead. claimed ignorance though they passed him while he was spinning his gears to nowhere so you kinda wonder....

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
It's a race though, right? Is he meant to wait for him?

Lance absolutely powering at the moment, great viewing

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
You need to show rispuct for the Maillot Jaune there bro!

E.g. if the yellow jersey goes down in a crash or whatever, the tradition is for the CG followers to wait up for him. Happened already this tour I believe? The idea is that the best rider wins the tour, not a freak accident.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You need to show rispuct for the Maillot Jaune there bro!

E.g. if the yellow jersey goes down in a crash or whatever, the tradition is for the CG followers to wait up for him. Happened already this tour I believe? The idea is that the best rider wins the tour, not a freak accident.

Hes Mosis becum a Keewee? I dudn't puck hus uxint last time we mut.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The years of Kiwis wanging on about "Rispuct for the Haka" have had their toll on me

Status
Not open for further replies.